• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How to Persuade an Atheist to Become Christian

athame.jpg
When fighting Satan, remember to never hold your athame by the blade. Then Satan can just grab the hilt.

Last edited:
What do they have against first aid manuals? Or is it just a problem with women teaching first aid?

760px-111533-7.jpg
Maybe just shouldn't THROW first aid manuals at atheists?
They might throw them back.

I just don't want to derail this thread any more.
Actually, all things considered, your input isn't a derail.

The website in the OP assumes that it is a purpose of Christains to try to get us atheists to change our ways and be like them. The site offers tools to manipulate atheist into becoming something the theists will approve of.
The thread is a response to their desire to make us change our ways to meet their approval.

You dislike certain jokes and wish for us to change our ways. The first few posts in response to your post are further examples of our resistance to others wanting us to change to meet their approval.

It seems like an uphill battle, if you can see what I mean. But pretty much on-topic.

well if this is not an derail I will be happy to discuss with posters who disagree with me.

I just don't want to derail this thread any more.
Actually, all things considered, your input isn't a derail.

The website in the OP assumes that it is a purpose of Christains to try to get us atheists to change our ways and be like them. The site offers tools to manipulate atheist into becoming something the theists will approve of.
The thread is a response to their desire to make us change our ways to meet their approval.

You dislike certain jokes and wish for us to change our ways. The first few posts in response to your post are further examples of our resistance to others wanting us to change to meet their approval.

It seems like an uphill battle, if you can see what I mean. But pretty much on-topic.

yes I dislike those jokes because I sure christians are also reading this thread and their views are confirmed.Look I realize the that the christian belief that morality only comes from god is behind these jokes. But they don't know the background. It seems rare christians on this forum to have a discussion of our views.Just seems of course mostly likely we will end up disagree but we will understand each other better. disagee? lets discuss

yes I dislike those jokes because I sure christians are also reading this thread and their views are confirmed.
Well, yes. Whether or not they can penetrate the deep subtleties of the humor to realize it is humor, they're going to find confirmation of their biases, sure. Either that we say it or that we find it a fit topic for humor.

Well, i do find it a fit topic for humor. Should I pretend not to, in order not to further offend someone who's already offended by my godless philosophy?

the christian belief that morality only comes from god is behind these jokes. But they don't know the background.
I once wrote an essay on why Christains shouldn't play Chess. It's Satan's subtle trap.

Responses to the essay are all over the internet.

Some people see it as parody, some see it as sincere. (Even though the foot of the original has a disclaimer.) Some perceive that it's a response to Christain essays on how AD&D players are all going to Hell, some think it's just something that was bothering me.
Many rebuke my theology.
Some few correct me on my chess.

Someone even calculated my score on a crackpot index (though they added the Chess site to my Elephanticity site to get the final value).

I find all of the responses funny. Whether they 'figured it out' or not, whether they understand the history behind it or not, whether they correct me, laugh at me or laugh with me.

If a Christain sees a 'baby/puppy/kitten barbecue' joke and doesn't find the humor in it, that's also pretty funny. Whether they understand where the joke is coming from or not...

- - - Updated - - -

yes I dislike those jokes because I sure christians are also reading this thread and their views are confirmed.

Which really, only makes it funnier.
That is the entire point of 'satire.' Say something stupid, but in a manner that you imagine 'someone will see this and treat it as a truism.'

That is the entire point of 'satire.' Say something stupid, but in a manner that you imagine 'someone will see this and treat it as a truism.'

It amuses me to think that there might genuinely be christians out there who are so clueless and incapable of basic thought that they read the average internet comment and think the non-christian world is full of satanists holding blood orgies and atheist conspiracies. One day, I hope someone captures the follow encounter in a church; or some encounter like it; on video:

Preacher: "And now my flock, I bring word to you of the world of sin that exists on the darkest places the secular world has brought into this world. Now I caution you, this is not for the weak of heart. Parents, take care to shield your children's ears from this filth, and parishioners, please know that I share this only so that you might know the dangers which lurk all around us! Ahem. 'Cheezyballs69 wrote, in response to a music video in which loose women were dancing and gyrating their... the uhm, the areas adjacent to their sacred child-production area, I say he wrote 'BALLS! that is all'. Think about that, dear flock. Think about that, really think about that. Here's another. 'Satanscock69' wrote, in response to 'Cheezeballs69', 'FUCK YOU!'; again, think about that. I want you, when you go home today, to think about that. Finally, 'Cockula69' said 'REKT!' while my son was playing an online videogame he is no longer allowed to play"

Parishioner: "Father? Why do they all have 69 behind their name?"

Preacher: "I believe it is satanic code, a way for them identify one another."

Well, yes. Whether or not they can penetrate the deep subtleties of the humor to realize it is humor, they're going to find confirmation of their biases, sure. Either that we say it or that we find it a fit topic for humor.

Well, i do find it a fit topic for humor. Should I pretend not to, in order not to further offend someone who's already offended by my godless philosophy?

you might have to if you lived in the middle east.I live in the south and work in an store. people say bless you leave tracts almost all the time I can't say anything I lose my job. I guess we disagree topic is funny or not.

you might have to if you lived in the middle east.I live in the south and work in an store. people say bless you leave tracts almost all the time I can't say anything I lose my job. I guess we disagree topic is funny or not.
Maybe you could gracefully accept the blessing by responding. "Well thank you, and may you avoid cthulhu's noodley appendage."

Maybe you could gracefully accept the blessing by responding. "Well thank you, and may you avoid cthulhu's noodley appendage."
Ha Ha I think your trying to earn me a hour sermon:laughing-smiley-014

I thought the whole point of saying bless you to an atheist is to discourage their noodley appendage. Am I doing it wrong? After all, we don't want a bunch of people susceptible to atheism breeding.

I thought the whole point of saying bless you to an atheist is to discourage their noodley appendage. Am I doing it wrong? After all, we don't want a bunch of people susceptible to atheism breeding.

Maybe I misunderstood and had it all backward. I thought it was sincere so gave them the benefit of the doubt assuming they were wishing the best for me given their mindset that a blessing was good. I hadn't thought of it as proselytizing. Perhaps, if it is being presented as a personal attack, I should become upset and respond that I hope cthulhu rips them apart rather than telling them that I hope they escape cthulu's ravaging.

The cunning bastards!

Now I dare not leave the house in case someone snares me with these fiendish ploys!

you might have to if you lived in the middle east.I live in the south and work in an store.
Which has what to do with an internet forum conversation?
people say bless you leave tracts almost all the time
I've lived in the South and faced the Littering Missionaries. Most of them leave tracts rather than sermons because they're afraid of confrontation. I just swept them out of the stairwells and toilet stalls and threw them away. If you leave the ones in the stall, the toilets back up.
I guess we disagree topic is funny or not.
I don't really care if you find it funny or not. I find it funny, so I do it.

I'm just confused about your conflicting stance on the matter. You won't tell people who are in your face with their religion to shut up, but you'll tell distant strangers on the internet to stop possibly offending hypothetical Christains.

I'm just confused about your conflicting stance on the matter. You won't tell people who are in your face with their religion to shut up, but you'll tell distant strangers on the internet to stop possibly offending hypothetical Christains.
In real life you suffer the consequences,not so much on the internet. Maybe if both sides stop attacking each other we can understand each other better.

Back
Top Bottom