• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How to Persuade an Atheist to Become Christian

Maybe if both sides stop attacking each other we can understand each other better.
How will understanding them help anything? Many atheists were previously theists and understand their stance quite well. that's where Carlin got about 1/3rd of his jokes.

Do you really think that if most thumpers 'understood' atheism they'd be more tolerant of atheists?

The web page in the OP is designed on the author's belief that he understands atheists well enough to manipulate them into adopting his or her beliefs. If he understands why we make 'orgies and boiled kitten' jokes, will he be more likely to tolerate atheists or will he try to adapt that knowledge into his manipulation?

Do you really think that if most thumpers 'understood' atheism they'd be more tolerant of atheists?
yeah you a have point
The web page in the OP is designed on the author's belief that he understands atheists well enough to manipulate them into adopting his or her beliefs. If he understands why we make 'orgies and boiled kitten' jokes, will he be more likely to tolerate atheists or will he try to adapt that knowledge into his manipulation?
Those jokes confirm his beliefs about atheists and renew his conversation efforts.

Not all christians are "thumpers" there a wide range of beliefs. The liberal and moderate wings are open to tolerate atheists. just one small step to reduce the discrimation of atheists in this society

yeah you a have point
Those jokes confirm his beliefs about atheists and renew his conversation efforts.
So does 'no, thank you, i'd rather not hear more about how God loves me.'
Not all christians are "thumpers" there a wide range of beliefs.
I am quite aware of that.
Do you think that by 'thumpers' i meant each and every Christain walking the Earth?
Not just the ones that are intolerant of everyone who doesn't share their specific beliefs and are quite vocal about it?
The liberal and moderate wings are open to tolerate atheists. just one small step to reduce the discrimation of atheists in this society
You're reading your own interpretation into my post. much like the thumpers would.
Maybe you should try to limit your discrimination against atheists before fixing our discrimination against the believers.

yeah you a have point
Do you think that by 'thumpers' i meant each and every Christain walking the Earth?
Not just the ones that are intolerant of everyone who doesn't share their specific beliefs and are quite vocal about it?
The liberal and moderate wings are open to tolerate atheists. just one small step to reduce the discrimation of atheists in this society
You're reading your own interpretation into my post. much like the thumpers would.
Maybe you should try to limit your discrimination against atheists before fixing our discrimination against the believers.
sorry I misunderstood your term thumpers to mean all christians.

That's okay.
But clearly, unless we footnote or hyperlink every word in our posts, we're going to be subject to misunderstandings.
I can try to post in anticipation of all such possible complications, or I can wait for them to occur and see if the misreader is amenable to correction. if not, it doesn't matter a damn, anyway.

Holy cow. Have we stumbled onto the new "If you are on fire, don't run" treasure trove?
Speaking of sacred beef, try searching the word 'atheist' on the How To site. my heavens, there's a lot of hits. How to be an atheist, how to convert christains to atheist, how to get your theist friends to shut up (for atheists)....

Holy cow. Have we stumbled onto the new "If you are on fire, don't run" treasure trove?
Speaking of sacred beef, try searching the word 'atheist' on the How To site. my heavens, there's a lot of hits. How to be an atheist, how to convert christains to atheist, how to get your theist friends to shut up (for atheists)....
That's understandable. On the religious scale, "Christian" and "atheist" are holding hands, not all that different objectively speaking. What's one pretend magic creature out of thousands when you've already concluded those thousands and thousands just aren't real? Maybe that explains some of the animosity. Two groups after almost the same thing.

You've never heard the term "Bible thumper" before? I know for a fact lots of Christians in Florida use that term, so you could hardly have avoided hearing it before.

You've never heard the term "Bible thumper" before? I know for a fact lots of Christians in Florida use that term, so you could hardly have avoided hearing it before.

I know that bible thumpers is a christians like the duggars who believe everything in the bible and try to spread that message any chance they get. But christians in my state really call themselves that term instead of outsiders? Since I am not a christian I don't know. my problem was I thought Keith was using thumpers for all christians. He corrected me. kind of embassing on my part

But christians in my state really call themselves that term instead of outsiders?

Sure. As happens with almost any term, people dismiss their argument and say, "Eh, you're a thumper." So they take it on as a point of pride. "Well, I guess that makes me a thumper! So what's wrong with that?"

To me, thumper doesn't necessarily mean a literalist. It's someone who taps on his Bible while answering a question.
"We know Evolution is untrue because the Bible says...."
"Communism is Satanic. We see in verses..."
"Interracial marriage will destroy society. We can see in the Bible that God says..."
"Jesus wants us to hold the 2nd Amendment sacred, because he said..."

But christians in my state really call themselves that term instead of outsiders?

Sure. As happens with almost any term, people dismiss their argument and say, "Eh, you're a thumper." So they take it on as a point of pride. "Well, I guess that makes me a thumper! So what's wrong with that?"

To me, thumper doesn't necessarily mean a literalist. It's someone who taps on his Bible while answering a question.
"We know Evolution is untrue because the Bible says...."
"Communism is Satanic. We see in verses..."
"Interracial marriage will destroy society. We can see in the Bible that God says..."
"Jesus wants us to hold the 2nd Amendment sacred, because he said..."

Like rappers who use the n word? I was just asking because of my lack of knowledge on the subject. no problem either way

Like rappers who use the n word?
Well, all blacks that use the N-word.
Or Yankees, taking the term of derision from the Brits and adopting it with pride.
Or submarine sailor 'bubbleheads.'
Any number of examples.

Like the 16th Century Dutch taking the intended insult "geuzen" (beggars) and wearing it as a badge of pride in their fight against Spanish dominion.

Or the US South taking the derogatory "racist slavers" as a symbol of cultural pride.

But christians in my state really call themselves that term instead of outsiders? Since I am not a christian I don't know. my problem was I thought Keith was using thumpers for all christians. He corrected me. kind of embassing on my part
Don't feel bad, all of Keith's statements contain a hasty generalization.

Back
Top Bottom