• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How to reduce / defeat racism?

Complex intersections of race and class: Among social liberals, learning about White privilege reduces sympathy, increases blame, and decreases external attributions for White people struggling with poverty.

White privilege lessons are sometimes used to increase awareness of racism. However, little research has investigated the consequences of these lessons. Across 2 studies (N = 1,189), we hypothesized that White privilege lessons may both highlight structural privilege based on race, and simultaneously decrease sympathy for other challenges some White people endure (e.g., poverty)—especially among social liberals who may be particularly receptive to structural explanations of inequality. Indeed, both studies revealed that while social liberals were overall more sympathetic to poor people than social conservatives, reading about White privilege decreased their sympathy for a poor White (vs. Black) person. Moreover, these shifts in sympathy were associated with greater punishment/blame and fewer external attributions for a poor White person’s plight. We conclude that, among social liberals, White privilege lessons may increase beliefs that poor White people have failed to take advantage of their racial privilege—leading to negative social evaluations.

There are more than one reason a person can be poor. No one is arguing that.

Complex intersections of race and class: Among social liberals, learning about White privilege reduces sympathy, increases blame, and decreases external attributions for White people struggling with poverty.

White privilege lessons are sometimes used to increase awareness of racism. However, little research has investigated the consequences of these lessons. Across 2 studies (N = 1,189), we hypothesized that White privilege lessons may both highlight structural privilege based on race, and simultaneously decrease sympathy for other challenges some White people endure (e.g., poverty)—especially among social liberals who may be particularly receptive to structural explanations of inequality. Indeed, both studies revealed that while social liberals were overall more sympathetic to poor people than social conservatives, reading about White privilege decreased their sympathy for a poor White (vs. Black) person. Moreover, these shifts in sympathy were associated with greater punishment/blame and fewer external attributions for a poor White person’s plight. We conclude that, among social liberals, White privilege lessons may increase beliefs that poor White people have failed to take advantage of their racial privilege—leading to negative social evaluations.

Yet this evidence shows that the concept causes people to view whites more negatively and to disregard the struggles and hurdles poor whites face and engage in victim blaming. So, clearly it is operates as an insult. The results show that the concept leads liberals to view poverty more simplistically and to assume it's due to racism for non-whites but due to the person's own fault for whites.

Yet this evidence shows that the concept causes people to view whites more negatively and to disregard the struggles and hurdles poor whites face and engage in victim blaming. So, clearly it is operates as an insult. The results show that the concept leads liberals to view poverty more simplistically and to assume it's due to racism for non-whites but due to the person's own fault for whites.

This abstract doesn't tell me much. I'm not going to purchase it. I would read it if you posted it or emailed it to me however.

I don't think white on white racism is a real thing. Not in the same way as actual racism.

Personally, I have sympathy for anyone who is struggling in life.

There are a certain type of people (in my experiences white, but not always) that see themselves as being more entitled than those of other races. I work with a few guys like this. They have been told that immigrants are coming to take over, and they now believe that. They have been told that these people come here to freeload off the system, and that soon they will outnumber them and will be changing everything in their world.

They also believe that the local first nations people are a conquered race of second class citizens.

I don't like anecdotal references but this way of thinking is not uncommon. Maybe you feel this way too.

I don't think I am going to change any minds here, but I strongly disagree with this perspective and I think it stems from fear and uncertainty caused by other things, usually economic reasons. There are oodles of studies to support this too.

What if the white people you talking are just taking their own side and don't care if they are hypocrites.

May as well take your own side, no one else will. Whites seem to be the only group shamed for taking their own side.

However, too much of that can be used by the people really on top as divide and conquer, so there is that...

Whites are in a long term shitty position. Being a small minority of mankind, a minority that is now trending to below ZPG, the odds are that we either blow the world up or become brown and yellow. So those in Europe who are far seeing re economy but not sensitive to the power of racial tension it is probably going to either lead to the lose of it's union or be so reduced that it becomes insignificant in ultimate outcomes.

As I see things nationalism -racism - is the primary determiner of future governments. Say that does not mean that racial boundaries will be established, it just means that race will need be accommodated re-arbitrated, controlled, in societies with a fair risk of several racial wars at the bounds of white and other dominances.

It may mean the end to the science era and even the literate era. What is going on in the US and in the former Soviet union EU states suggest the either their states will change government for accommodating multi ethnicity or be absorbed into more inclusive brown/yellow.white grouping. I hope this latter condition will address critical problems as we find we can't be great societies without robust workforces.

Whites are in a long term shitty position. Being a small minority of mankind, a minority that is now trending to below ZPG, the odds are that we either blow the world up or become brown and yellow. So those in Europe who are far seeing re economy but not sensitive to the power of racial tension it is probably going to either lead to the lose of it's union or be so reduced that it becomes insignificant in ultimate outcomes.

As I see things nationalism -racism - is the primary determiner of future governments. Say that does not mean that racial boundaries will be established, it just means that race will need be accommodated re-arbitrated, controlled, in societies with a fair risk of several racial wars at the bounds of white and other dominances.

It may mean the end to the science era and even the literate era. What is going on in the US and in the former Soviet union EU states suggest the either their states will change government for accommodating multi ethnicity or be absorbed into more inclusive brown/yellow.white grouping. I hope this latter condition will address critical problems as we find we can't be great societies without robust workforces.

yeah, the Jews at the SPLC are tracking that:

45be21cce0af2dc43ee9a1b4310765a4e695067dec345fb16f21b7160f8b45a1.png

descendants ...

It may be true that your descendants are brown, yellow, red or a combination, but they will still have your genetic material, and they will still live under the constitution of your United States, unless the present admin puts it thru the shredder.

descendants ...

It may be true that your descendants are brown, yellow, red or a combination, but they will still have your genetic material, and they will still live under the constitution of your United States, unless the present admin puts it thru the shredder.

Glad you brought this up. One of my descendants is living in Japan going to Japanese schools, obeying japanese law whilst his mother, also a descendant is working at a joint american-japanese military base is her husband. Don't think the shredder is necessary although I agree that currently such is a good probability.

Actually my point is that the trend for humanity is toward brown and yellow and away from white. However I don't believe that probability will eliminate racism since humans are very ethnically competitive as are most other social species.

4aeef707aa82f692465f9aa7de510e42505ca4aa3f7d618bd44bf62d50e8bf79.png

The leveling of skin color around the world is partially organic and natural and partially planned

descendants ...

Glad you brought this up. One of my descendants is living in Japan going to Japanese schools, obeying japanese law whilst his mother, also a descendant is working at a joint american-japanese military base is her husband. Don't think the shredder is necessary although I agree that currently such is a good probability.

Actually my point is that the trend for humanity is toward brown and yellow and away from white. However I don't believe that probability will eliminate racism since humans are very ethnically competitive as are most other social species.

You may be right that racism will still be prevalent, but who knows - it's a dynamic world and things can change.

What if it is not, what then?

The screencaptured article is just propaganda.

Here's the source cable released by Wikileaks: https://archive.is/ZnU7w

And to save all the sane people a click: The US is trying to get Estonia to improve toleration of non-European immigrants, something that most EU countries are already doing.

Only a fool could be afraid of this.

And to save all the sane people a click: The US is trying to get Estonia to improve toleration of non-European immigrants, something that most EU countries are already doing.

In principle it is not much different from moving a lot of Han Chinese into Tibet and Xinjiang.

In principle it is not much different from moving a lot of Han Chinese into Tibet and Xinjiang.
Or the Spanish, English, French, and Dutch settling a lot of their citizens in the Americas.

Back
Top Bottom