• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How would you subtitle the Bible?

Or maybe, "An approved list of orthodox christian writings as of the 4th century."
That's probably closest, but one must remember that there is more than one version of "the" bible.
1.Roman Catholic
2.Ethiopic
3.Syriac Peshitta
4.Protestant.
All of those are different.

Or maybe, "An approved list of orthodox christian writings as of the 4th century."
That's probably closest, but one must remember that there is more than one version of "the" bible.
1.Roman Catholic
2.Ethiopic
3.Syriac Peshitta
4.Protestant.
All of those are different.
I'm not familiar with the Syriac and Ethiopic but assume they largely derive from the same writings.

I would label it, "NC-17. Not appropriate for children under the age of 17 due to violence, adult themes, sexual situations, and moral depravity"

"A quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore."

I'd say this would apply simply from the number of times theists in debate have professed or accepted items, themes and quotes that are not biblical as being part of The Books. And have rejected facts they say are not scriptural.
They think atheists make up the idea that Noah was on the ark for a year, they'll swear to details of Hell that they get from Dante's Inferno, and insist that somewhere in scripture is the fact that Creation was 4000 years before Jesus.

This is how Emperor Julian saw it c.362 CE:

It is, I think, expedient to set forth to all mankind
the reasons by which I was convinced that
the fabrication of the Galilaeans
is a fiction of men composed by wickedness.

Though it has in it nothing divine,
by making full use of that part of the soul
which loves fable and is childish and foolish,
it has induced men to believe
that the monstrous tale is truth.

The Cherry Pickers Guide to giving life a meaning.

Back
Top Bottom