• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Human Hybrid Gen1 Found in Russia :eek:

Yes, because Meiosis in yeast and humans is exactly the same process.

Remember the part you bolded? "The genomes of these two species are so diverged that they cannot recombine properly during meiosis, so they fail to segregate efficiently."?

That's not the case of any two extant human populations. At least, it cannot be assumed to be so, and is contrary to pretty much anything we know about human genomics. If you have evidence that it is, show it already.
Stop talking nonsense.
Looks like you really don't understand the mechanisms behind hybrid (in)fertility all that well.
It's you.

Stop talking nonsense.
Looks like you really don't understand the mechanisms behind hybrid (in)fertility all that well.
It's you.

So you don't have any evidence that "the genomes of " any two extant human populations are "so diverged that they cannot recombine properly during meiosis"?

Look, I never said it's impossible, but it doesn't follow from any established facts of human genomics it is merely compatible with them. And it certainly doesn't follow from facts about yeast genomics.

ETA: The mechanisms that lead to hybrid infertility are the same in yeast and mammals, but there currently, due to a series of historical accidents, doesn't appear to be any extant species or subspecies close enough to homo sapiens sapiens for hybridization to be possible in the first place, but distant enough for hybrid infertility to be an issue.

Stop talking nonsense.
It's you.

So you don't have any evidence that "the genomes of " any two extant human populations are "so diverged that they cannot recombine properly during meiosis"?
I have never made such a retarded claim. I said that this effect is measurable. Human hybrids in real life are perfectly fine in terms of fertility.
Look, I never said it's impossible, but it doesn't follow from any established facts of human genomics it is merely compatible with them. And it certainly doesn't follow from facts about yeast genomics.
It absolutely follows from body of knowledge in biology.
Given enough time two isolated populations of humans will slowly lose ability to produce fertile hybrids.
With much more time they will lose ability to produce viable hybrids. That's one of the way how new species are created.

Given enough time two isolated populations of humans will slowly lose ability to produce fertile hybrids.
With much more time they will lose ability to produce viable hybrids. That's one of the way how new species are created.

You're not telling me anything new. However, this isn't necessarily a linear process. There is no reason to believe that an offspring between you and your cousin is more likely to be infertile than an offspring between you and your sister, and neither have you provided any reason to believe that any two human populations have diverged enough for this to be an issue. For all we know, enough time hasn't passed.

Feel free to demonstrate otherwise with actual data rather than armchair reasoning that demonstrates a rather superficial understanding of reproductive biology.

Last edited:

You're not telling me anything new.
Everything I told you was new to you.
However, this isn't necessarily a linear process. There is no reason to believe that an offspring between you and your cousin is more likely to be infertile than an offspring between you and your sister, and neither have you provided any reason to believe that any two human populations have diverged enough for this to be an issue. For all we know, enough time hasn't passed.
What the fuck is this word salad about?
Feel free to demonstrate otherwise with actual data rather than armchair reasoning that demonstrates a rather superficial understanding of reproductive biology.
My "superficial" understanding of reproductive biology is still better than yours.

Stop talking nonsense.
It's you.

ETA: The mechanisms that lead to hybrid infertility are the same in yeast and mammals, but there currently, due to a series of historical accidents, doesn't appear to be any extant species or subspecies close enough to homo sapiens sapiens for hybridization to be possible in the first place, but distant enough for hybrid infertility to be an issue.
I see you educated yourself a little and added to your post. I am glad you agree that your Sun-earth analogy was retarded and does not apply to the my yeast-mammals one. Keep up, reading, you might learn something.

I see you educated yourself a little and added to your post. I am glad you agree that your Sun-earth analogy was retarded and does not apply to the my yeast-mammals one. Keep up, reading, you might learn something.

I never claimed or implied that meiosis works differently in yeast than in mammals. There just doesn't happen to be a species analogous to what Saccharomyces cerevisiae is to Saccharomyces paradoxus for humans. There was, at variant points in the past - possibly as recently as a few ten thousand years if indeed homo sapiens/homo neanderthal hybrids had reduced fertility, or infertility in the males, and if not certainly when the ancestors of humans and chimps where still close enough to hybridize.

Everything I told you was new to you.
However, this isn't necessarily a linear process. There is no reason to believe that an offspring between you and your cousin is more likely to be infertile than an offspring between you and your sister, and neither have you provided any reason to believe that any two human populations have diverged enough for this to be an issue. For all we know, enough time hasn't passed.
What the fuck is this word salad about?

You know what a linear relation is, and that not all observed relations are linear? Good, then you don't have an argument.

Back
Top Bottom