• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Human nature

And you re incarnated as many are by Chomsky?

I believe him.

To restate there are always forms of advertising and indoctrination.

Chomsky is talking about television advertising aimed at children.

Our system is based on aggression ion by a few, which in turn lifts everyone else.

Nonsense.

The system is based on exploitation of the many.

Including children.

I believe him.

Our system is based on aggression ion by a few, which in turn lifts everyone else.

Nonsense.

Including children.

Some come to Jesus, some to Chomsky.

I believe him.

Nonsense.

Including children.

Some come to Jesus, some to Chomsky.

Sure.

Some people find religion and others find something a lot better, a few truths about the real world with no promises of another.

But this is not about Chomsky.

It is about his claim that children are indoctrinated by advertising to do things like nag more.

It is about 50 year olds waking up and seeing their life has no meaning because it was nothing but a pursuit of material possessions that were not needed.

Some quote Jesus, some quote Chomsky. Six of one half a dozen the other.

Some quote Bob Dylan and Micael Jackson lyrics.

It is all the same need to believe in something along with a higher authority.

In Buddhism the trick is to realize your own conditioning and how it affects you and your choices.

The fact that modern mass advertising along with entertainment is affecting culture is not exactly profound revelation and breaking news.

The cultural revolution I grew up in rejected the mainstream conformity and indoctrination.

Today what was once counter culture is now mainstream culture with its own conformity and indoctrination. The coubter culture Rolling Stones played a Superbowl,.

Turns out the 'counter culture' itself was mostly a marketing image to make money.

Some quote Jesus, some quote Chomsky. Six of one half a dozen the other.

Some are so uneducated they probably believe this stupidity.

Chomsky is one of the worlds leading intellectuals.

He can provoke cognitive dissonance in the unlearned however.

Some are so uneducated they probably believe this stupidity.

Chomsky is one of the worlds leading intellectuals.

Considering religion and politicasl ideologies education does not appear to be part of it.

Someone who identified as a linguist who taught it said most of Chomsky's ideas have not panned out.

My point is Chomsky makes a profit marketing ideas and perspectives. It is how he makes a living.

He can provoke cognitive dissonance in the unlearned however.

Someone who identified as a linguist who taught it said most of Chomsky's ideas have not panned out.

Linguistics is divided into pre-Chomskian and post-Chomskian.

Of course he has not explained everything.

He just put the entire field on the right path.

My point is Chomsky makes a profit marketing ideas and perspectives.

He enriches the world with his ideas.

Many people have gods to word hip in non religious forms.

The human herd instinct. Like swallows flying in seemingly coordinated motion when in reality they just follow the bird in front of them.

The problem as I see it is you are not applying Chomsky's ideas to your self.

An old saying, philosopher know thyself. Along with the door opens inwards. Watch that first step, it is a big one.

As to linguistics divided into pre and post Chomsky. who did the dividing and who nominated him for 'world's greatest intellectual'?

The human herd instinct. Like swallows flying in seemingly coordinated motion when in reality they just follow the bird in front of them.

An old saying, philosopher know thyself. Along with the door opens inwards. Watch that first step, it is a big one.

As to linguistics divided into pre and post Chomsky. who did the dividing and who nominated him for 'world's greatest intellectual'?

You are a poseur that wants to say something but has no understanding.

You don't know the first thing about Chomsky's work and what he has done.

That is clear.

You are a poseur that wants to say something but has no understanding.

You don't know the first thing about Chomsky's work and what he has done.

That is clear.

Image of a big adult with his hand on a kid's(you) head while the kid swings wildly trying to hit the adult. I do so love metaphor.

Does Chomsky have a conspiracy theory as to who is behind mass advertising, is it a secret Jewish cabal in Israel out to control the world. or maybe the Trilaterialists, or our own govt?

By the way, a recent poll shows a virtual tie as to who is the leading intellectual, it is a tie between Trump and Sean Hannity of FOX News. There is already talk of the post Trump Hannity divide in history.

Does Chomsky have a conspiracy theory as to who is behind mass advertising...

Yes.

It is called wanting to make money. It works.

The indoctrination works. And humans are made less human everyday.

Free markers like myself believe the western systems with all the economic variations has been so successful because unlike Soviet and Chinese communism it works with human nature not against.

What dies it mean to be human? Are we human in cradle to grave world of comfort with no difficulties' and challenges or do we become an ant colony?

In Mao's Cultural Revolution intellectuals like Chomsky were sent to work on farms to make them understand what they lived on. On the west coast there can be reference to 'north east intellectuals'. Intellectuals in ivory towers who look down on the rest f the country from an isolated insular cocoon oblivions to reality.

What do you derive from Chomsky that you find useful in your life? Or is it just quotes?

Does Chomsky have a conspiracy theory as to who is behind mass advertising...

Yes.

It is called wanting to make money. It works.

The indoctrination works. And humans are made less human everyday.

Free markers like myself believe the western systems with all the economic variations has been so successful because unlike Soviet and Chinese communism it works with human nature not against.

What dies it mean to be human? Are we human in cradle to grave world of comfort with no difficulties' and challenges or do we become an ant colony?

In Mao's Cultural Revolution intellectuals like Chomsky were sent to work on farms to make them understand what they lived on. On the west coast there can be reference to 'north east intellectuals'. Intellectuals in ivory towers who look down on the rest f the country from an isolated insular cocoon oblivions to reality.

What do you derive from Chomsky that you find useful in your life? Or is it just quotes?

You are a complete novice.

You know absolutely nothing about Chomsky.

Forget his work in linguistics, that is highly technical.

Chomsky first begins public speaking on politics in protest of the Vietnam invasion.

He was highly critical of the attack of South Vietnam.

Since then he has become a highly respected critic of US foreign policy. He has spoken all over the world and is much more popular and known outside the US than within.

He and Edward Herman wrote a best selling book on the US media and the filtering of information within the media.

And he has opinions about the distortion of the human mind through carefully constructed indoctrination aimed at children.

Chomsky first begins public speaking on politics in protest of the Vietnam invasion.

Since then he has become a highly respected critic of US foreign policy. He has spoken all over the world and is much more popular and known outside the US than within.

He and Edward Herman wrote a best selling book on the US media and the filtering of information within the media.

And he has opinions about the distortion of the human mind through carefully constructed indoctrination aimed at children.

I have seen videos of lectures and audio recordings. I read some of his stuff long ago. It may have some relevance in technical linguistics but the rest was a yawn.

Words can be used to control, well no shit Sherlock. People study it in political sconce and advertising. Modern mass advertising is powerful, again no shit tell me something I do not know. I just do not see anything profound.

I've seen it al in practice in 30 years in technology. One becomes a practical psychologist, linguist, and politician to survive.

At a small company I worked at I paretic[ated in a marketing effort to make the company's product stand out to potential customers.

Sooo...what do YOU derive from Chomsky? He jas followers and detractors.

What gets me is when an intellectual like Chomsky begins to rail against the economic system without which he might driving a truck. Ut is the excess wealth provided by the system that allows Chomsky to live as a tenured professor, and it also always bech bums who work little and spend most time surfing....

The OP seems to say mass marketing is intentional to indoctrinate into our industrial system.

I do not see any intent, I see free market capitalism working to maximize profits.

I have seen videos of lectures and audio recordings. I read some of his stuff long ago. It may have some relevance in technical linguistics but the rest was a yawn.

Your take on Chomsky derived from ignorance is the yawn.

Words can be used to control, well no shit Sherlock.

It is not what words can do. It is what words and images have been doing and are doing continually.

They are creating perpetually greedy self-obsessed children.

Not a good thing for a democracy.

And what a waste of humanity and the human potential.

Your take on Chomsky derived from ignorance is the yawn.

Words can be used to control, well no shit Sherlock.

It is not what words can do. It is what words and images have been doing and are doing continually.

They are creating perpetually greedy self-obsessed children.

Not a good thing for a democracy.

And what a waste of humanity and the human potential.

Ok, ping pong.

You quote sound bites from Chomsky out of ignorance.

Again what is it that you derive from Chomsky? How does it affect your thinking? What are the priciples? If you can not answer you are being disingenuous.

As I said, mass marketing as form of indoctrination is not exactly breaking news. You don't need a PHD for that as the saying goes.\\There is also a hint in the OP of intent by govt which I disputed from experience. Mass marketing is an aspect of our wide open free market system that searches for profit.

Substantive analytical e response if possible.

You quote sound bites from Chomsky out of ignorance.

I have incorporated the truths Chomsky has spoken into my thinking.

Again what is it that you derive from Chomsky?

An understanding of post-WWII US foreign and domestic policy history. That is something Chomsky is an expert on.

How does it affect your thinking?

Who knows exactly how but it does effect my thinking.

What are the priciples?

Almost all of Chomsky's criticism of US policies are moral criticisms.

Like his criticism of the US attack of Iraq.

He says that to claim the attack is moral requires allowing all other nations to do the same, the same rules for everyone.

Is that a good idea?

Abandon all human progress over the last few centuries and allow all nations to attack each other at will?

As I said, mass marketing as form of indoctrination is not exactly breaking news.

Bullshit.

Many people try to claim that humans are by their nature greedy self absorbed perpetual children.

Chomsky turns that nonsense on it's head.

I have incorporated the truths Chomsky has spoken into my thinking.

An understanding of post-WWII US foreign and domestic policy history. That is something Chomsky is an expert on.

How does it affect your thinking?

Who knows exactly how but it does effect my thinking.

What are the priciples?

Almost all of Chomsky's criticism of US policies are moral criticisms.

Like his criticism of the US attack of Iraq.

He says that to claim the attack is moral requires allowing all other nations to do the same, the same rules for everyone.

Is that a good idea?

Abandon all human progress over the last few centuries and allow all nations to attack each other at will?

As I said, mass marketing as form of indoctrination is not exactly breaking news.

Bullshit.

Many people try to claim that humans are by their nature greedy self absorbed perpetual children.

Chomsky turns that nonsense on it's head.

Bullshit? Ever hear of Goebbels the Nazi propagandist minister or see the Nazi film Triumph Of The Will? Modern marketing is propaganda. Repeated images connecting peoducr ro a feeling or picture creating a perment link in tye brain.

Word association, first brank word that comes to mind.

Cola soda
toothpaste
king of bottled beers
ketchup
Big Mac
Whopper
pickup truck

The truths Chomsky speaks....thanks for starting my week with a deep belly laugh. You are interpreting Chomski like Christians interpret the bible and god's will.

There is nothing more to say. You have the last word.

Started a thread on politics called propaganda. Chomsky is not new or original.

https://talkfreethought.org/showthread.php?17925-Propaganda&p=653602#post653602

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom