• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Human nature

Bullshit? Ever hear of Goebbels the Nazi propagandist minister or see the Nazi film Triumph Of The Will?

It begins before that.

It begins in the US during WWI and the people who would later create the public relations industry discovered how easy it was to turn many people into crazed anti-German war mongers wanting the nation to go to war.

They later unleashed these techniques on the public to sell cigarettes and laundry soap.

And of course this is the beginning of what Chomsky is talking about. He is an expert on the history of the US public relations industry.

It began with articulate speech, organized culture, and most importantly indoctrination through religion and cultural mythology. Try reading some books on Egyptian, Greek, and Roman civilization.

As I said Chomsky is not new or original. If you want to discuss go the politics thread on propaganda.

Ahh yes, those conspiratorial 'them'.As Pogo said, we have met the enemy and he is us.

Inflicted? Now you are sounding like a progressive renter. Again the evil 'they
. There are no they. It is the way social and economic evolution has gone. Marketing, sales, and manipulation go far back in history with commerce and trade.

The Romans coined the term 'caveat emptor' let the buyer beware.

You are lacking any historical context for today and you latch onto sound bites and videos from the likes of Chomsky. Consider that Chomsky is practicing manipulation on people like you as he gathers a following, scary thought aint it?

Depak Chopra a New Age mystic with a medical degree sells a blend of Asian mysticism and modern physics whipped into a seductive brew. In PBS videos his followers are enthralled as he speaks.

Last edited:
It began with articulate speech, organized culture, and most importantly indoctrination through religion and cultural mythology. Try reading some books on Egyptian, Greek, and Roman civilization.

That is when indoctrination began.

It is not when the systematic and purposeful indoctrination of the young began with goals like increasing nagging.

It is not when many of the young were deliberately turned into sick greedy little self absorbed creatures for a lifetime.

As I said Chomsky is not new or original.

You don't know or understand his work.

You are an ignorant poseur when it comes to Chomsky

That is when indoctrination began.

It is not when the systematic and purposeful indoctrination of the young began with goals like increasing nagging.

It is not when many of the young were deliberately turned into sick greedy little self absorbed creatures for a lifetime.

As I said Chomsky is not new or original.

You don't know or understand his work.

You are an ignorant poseur when it comes to Chomsky

The OP is human nature. Chomsky is the alpha male which followers of his ideology look up to.

He uses his skill and knowledge to sway people, like you, to his ideology.

When I watch videos like in the OP or watch people on cable media I am liostemig to word usage and d4p4ction, emphasis, and looking for shading and bias. I am trying to figure out what the person is trying to sell me in terms of ideas, and what is in it for him or her.

That is called critical thinking.

If you look at the propaganda thread I started and read the link you will see Chomsky is not original, you might even say he is derivative. Always question everything.

The general meaning of intellectual labor is using the mind instead of the hands.

Looking from the outside in the term intellectual means someone who does a lot of thinking that serves no useful purpose. Philosophy bakes no bread.

Theoretical physicists, mathematicians, and engineers are intellectuals that produce useful things.

The general meaning of intellectual labor is using the mind instead of the hands.

Using your hands is also mental labor. Your hands don't just move, your mind guides them.

Looking from the outside in the term intellectual means someone who does a lot of thinking that serves no useful purpose.

Pulling absurd definitions from your backside is not a rational argument.

You want your turds to not smell.

They do.

Using your hands is also mental labor. Your hands don't just move, your mind guides them.

Looking from the outside in the term intellectual means someone who does a lot of thinking that serves no useful purpose.

Pulling absurd definitions from your backside is not a rational argument.

You want your turds to not smell.

They do.

Oui oui!! Je suis l'intellectual maginfique!! I wear a French barrette, smoke French cigarettes, and drink French coffee at an sidewalk café thinking deep and profound thoughts.

Actually, engaging in heavy mind work burns more calories than not thinking too hard. After a long day of heavy technical and mathematical analyst one can feel just as hungry and run down as doing physical work.

Both you and Chomsky appear to be effete intellectuals. Dull and lacking vitality.

Both you and Chomsky appear to be effete intellectuals.

My adult life begins with a 4 year tour in the Marine Corps, in the infantry. The northern training area of Okinawa was my first class at university. C-rations from Vietnam for my meals.

Nothing effete about the truth. You won't produce any lies from Chomsky and his writings are extensive. His work on language alone is more than most people produce. He also has his political writings that again are more than most would ever produce. He has been amazingly prolific and is still speaking at 90.

But many Americans are ignorant to his ideas and somehow think they understand him without ever once reading him.

Nothing effete about the truth. You won't produce any lies from Chomsky and his writings are extensive.

The truth? You can't handle the truth.

Top 250 Chomsky Lies: http://www.paulbogdanor.com/200chomskylies.pdf

vosh ritatosh farno farno. Burp, hack haff.

All you've done is played the game of the ignoramus.

You've found a way to pretend to know about Chomsky without knowing one thing.

And I can't quote from that bogus list.

Why don't you tell me which lie you have thoroughly researched and know is very bad.

Here's an example of a "lie" from that worthless list compiled by very strange readers.

lies.PNG

Chomsky says he wouldn't abandon Marxism. I take it he means he wouldn't throw all of Marx out. Which is a smart thing to do since Marx's criticisms of capitalism are worth knowing about.

They say this is a lie because Chomsky says he never considered himself a Marxist. This is referring to some of the solutions hinted at by Marx and by people calling themselves Marxists. Chomsky is clear about his feelings on Marx. He says the criticisms of capitalism are valid the solutions are not better.

And when we look at context we can see that is clear.

Here is the whole context.

context.PNG

They have removed a statement from context and basically said it means the exact opposite of what it means.

This is just the first "lie" I looked at. But one glaring distortion and lie from the makers of that list makes makes that list look suspicious.

There is no lie here.

Just deliberate distortion of Chomsky and his work.

You are the one peddling lies.

- - - Updated - - -

I surrender, you win.

You don't even want to know about Chomsky.

The incurious mind that wants to pretend it knows about something.

Last edited:
Nothing effete about the truth. You won't produce any lies from Chomsky and his writings are extensive.

Oh brother. Back when I could drink we might have made good drinking buddies.

I have heard it said Chomsky hides behind tenure. He can put out anything he wants shirt iof something criminal or e really bad and loose tenure..

I always wanted to use the word effete. It makes me feel philosophically and linguistically superior.

I was in the Navy. Squids and jar heads are natural enemies. Taking a class in Okinawa means what?

Effete inyectual is a general term for a poseur or shallows person making lifeless seeming profound to himself revelations.

A legend in his own mind.

I can only go but what you post, which is little of substance.

You seem to be a Chomsky acolyte.

I have heard it said Chomsky hides behind tenure. He can put out anything he wants shirt iof something criminal or e really bad and loose tenure..

Somebody merely says there are lies and you believe her without even checking.

Some love to wallow in stupidity.

And are as unpleasant as a pig covered with mud in your living room.

Somebody merely says there are lies and you believe her without even checking.

Some love to wallow in stupidity.

And are as unpleasant as a pig covered with mud in your living room.

Without Chomsky to follow and believe and tell you what to think where would you be?

Without Chomsky to follow and believe and tell you what to think where would you be?

If Chomsky says something that is true a person with sense and morality can see it.

You know next to nothing about Chomsky's work.

Nothing wrong with that. We all have holes in our knowledge.

But what is bad is you don't know anything yet still want to run your yap.

If Chomsky says something that is true a person with sense and morality can see it.

Ok. The ancient question, what is truth and how do you know with certainty if it exists?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Ok. The ancient question, what is truth and how do you know with certainty if it exists?

In this thread Chomsky claims that modern techniques of mental manipulation are being used to turn them into self-obsessed greedy narcissistic perpetual children.

The kind of person who might call Chomsky a commie.

In this thread Chomsky claims that modern techniques of mental manipulation are being used to turn them into self-obsessed greedy narcissistic perpetual children.

The kind of person who might call Chomsky a commie.

I would not call Chomsky a communist. I'd say for a tenured professor he is ignorant of history or just out to publish books. It is what tenured professors do. From what I have heard him speak I'd say he as a conspiracy promoter of sorts. They and them are doing this or that.

He is probably anti free market capitalist, anti western systems. In the growing progressive academia that is common. At Evergreen State College here in Washington is it is blatant and taught.

As to turning us into obsessive greedy children, it has always been that way. A cursory review of history tells us that. The debate is how much of it is culture and how much genetics. Nature vs nurture.

As I see it modern technology and communications is opening the possibility of opening enough minds to change how humans act. It is happening.. Foreign wars are no longer remote, it is live 24/7.

Public debate on morality and what we humans should striven for is becoming common. Debate has begun on the effects of social media and advertising.

As I said, Chomsky appears to be an isolated academic who is out of touch with reality as it is unfolding right now. It is easy to be a prophet of doom and fear. It is easy for prophets of doom and fear to find an audience, witnessed by current events.

Yes. I agree that socially we seem to be getting childish but there are several factors. First we are living longer. Second the economy and social norms of today do not require young adults to go out and work like people up through the 50s.

Graduating high school and getting married by 18-20 was common. Today adolescence and marriage is put off to after 30.

We now have an extended adolescence. I would argue that business and marketing is just taking advantage of the new social dynamics. Marketing skate boards to 30 year olds.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom