• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

I desperately want to buy Metaphor a beer

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated
...or at least I want to feel like I should buy him a beer.

But it's looking less likely by the day. In fact, the script is already being read for the election:

Trump leads on the evening of 11/3.
Trump declares victory.
Further counts narrow the gap in the following 24-48 hours
Trump takes to the stage with "See? I told you Democrats were rigging the election! In a few days they'll be saying I lost!"
Within 10-21 days, Biden is leading and pulling away.
Trump urges violence, picks a few states' totals to file suit against.

The next few steps will depend on how soon after election night Trump starts to trail, and how many states he will have to overturn to get the whole election in question.
In the best case, he resigns, gets a pardon from Pence and flies to Moscow, never again to set foot on US soil for fear of arrest by SDNY.
In the worst case, his nazi thugs start indiscriminately murdering anyone suspected of opposing their Dear Leader, Trump declares Martial law and proceeds a la the Stone playbook.
Stone says Donald Trump should invoke the Insurrection Act and arrest Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook, Tim Cook of Apple, Bill and Hillary Clinton and “anybody else who can be proven to be involved in illegal activity”, which Billy Barr will define as "opposing Trump".

That's the worst case IMHO, but I might not be imaginative enough. I am certainly not imaginative enough to dream up a scenario where Trump loses, concedes and American Democracy takes its course as prescribed by the Constitution.

Stone says Donald Trump should invoke the Insurrection Act and arrest Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook, Tim Cook of Apple, Bill and Hillary Clinton and “anybody else who can be proven to be involved in illegal activity”, which Billy Barr will define as "opposing Trump".

That's the worst case IMHO, but I might not be imaginative enough. I am certainly not imaginative enough to dream up a scenario where Trump loses, concedes and American Democracy takes its course as prescribed by the Constitution.

So if your worse scenario comes true and Trump loses & concedes will you be big enough to publicly declare that you were wrong about him. in that instance at least?

I admit i have no idea what will happen.

PS: Would you buy the beer before or after the election?

So if your worse scenario comes true and Trump loses & concedes will you be big enough to publicly declare that you were wrong about him. in that instance at least?

Well, of course.
A peaceful transition of power would be the best gor everyone except for the current administration.
Which us why the odds of that happening, of Trump doing something altruistic....

Well, of course.
A peaceful transition of power would be the best gor everyone except for the current administration.
Which us why the odds of that happening, of Trump doing something altruistic....

It's hardly altruistic to follow the laws and the US Constitution. Hopefully some dozen or two of his sleazy lawyers will convince him that it's in his own best interests to do so. Or maybe the Secret Service will....

In any case, at noon on Jan 20, if Trump lost the election, he will cease to be POTUS.

You do realize he told his supporters to vote by mail and then in person... that he said the election was going to be fixed? Elixir isn't making this stuff up. Trump has been creating doubt (to put it politely) in this upcoming election for several months.

No one does. Which is why Bloomberg is pouring money into Florida, because if Florida can be called on election night because they can have the data in already for early voting, Trump's path to victory becomes extraordinarily harder. Whether Biden can win Florida is to be seen. It seems peculiar that the state which directly suffered from his idiotic leadership on Covid-19 could possibly even consider voting for Trump, but populist fascism does that to people it seems.

I find it very concerning that Trump has been screaming that the only way the Democrats can win the election is by cheating. Of course, he's projecting again. Anyone with a wee bit of intelligence who reads actual sources of journalism knows that Trump and company are trying to cheat by suppressing the vote, and giving out false information about voting, as well as trying to convince people that mail in ballots are often fraudulent. He even made the claim last week that mail in ballots have been sent out to pets. Pets!

Who says such shit, other than Trump?

I've never seen anything like this in my country.

If this was a fair election, I feel pretty confident that Biden would win, but I'm extremely skeptical that this will be a fair, election. I did read this morning that Biden is forming a huge legal team to help sort out any false claims about the election, but I am still concerned.

Have any of you read about the information sent out by the postal service that has lots of false information in it, depending on which state received it? Who put the UPS up to that? Hmmmm. Let me think.

There are a lot of experts who think the only way there will be an easy transition would be if Biden wins in a landslide. I doubt that will happen, plus good old Bern is now openly criticizing Biden for not being progressive enough. If I had a few minutes with Bern, I say, please Bern! Shut the fuck up and wait until the election is over before you open your mouth again. If you want younger progressives to vote for Biden and must open your mouth and get some attention, just encourage your former base to be sure to vote for Biden.

Republicans are trying to paint Biden as far left, while far lefties are trying to paint Biden as being too conservative. WTF! This is only giving the crazies more ammunition.

IMO, this election isn't about ideology. It's about getting rid of the most corrupt, incompetent nut job we've ever had as president. Nothing else matters at this point. Dems need to unite behind Biden. We can fight things out again once he's elected.

It's hardly altruistic to follow the laws and the US Constitution.
How do you figure? He loses power, he loses immunity, he loses the protection of his appointees, he loses access to scads of money, and he loses face. There's nothing in it for him to obey the laws, traditions, Constitution.
It's adult, and civilized, but not Trump's long suit.
Hopefully some dozen or two of his sleazy lawyers will convince him that it's in his own best interests to do so.
...because then he gets....?
Or Doesn't have to....?

Well, of course.

Of course... obviously.. and with glee...

What kind of question is that? Oh ya, the kind of question that comes from someone whose MO in politics is
1) Deny facts
2) reject evidence
3) accuse opponent of your own acts
4) goto 1

It's so telling that a Trumpfucker would even think "admitting they were wrong" would be some type of challenge.

Since my worst case scenario is Donald Trump invokes the Insurrection Act and arrests Zuckerberg, Cook, Bill and Hillary Clinton and “anybody else who can be proven to be involved in illegal activity”, which Billy Barr will define as "opposing Trump", NO. I won't apologize if that happens. If he concedes without protracted appeals to violence, I will admit I was wrong. If he concedes without protracted appeals at all - THEN I will apologize.

Yes, prediction is difficult, especially when it's about the future.

PS: Would you buy the beer before or after the election?

No beer for you! But I'll buy one for Metaphor if Trump concedes under ANY circumstance, even after a failed coup attempt.
He is the one scoffing at my assertion that Trump does not plan to leave office regardless of the electoral result. Damn, I hope he is right. But again, that looks less likely by the day.
Biden certainly doesn't believe Trump will abide by the result if he loses:

Biden Brings in ‘Hundreds of Lawyers’—Big Names Among Them—in Anticipation of ‘Unique’ Election Legal Battles

If the election is decided by legal teams then why bother with the election? (as noted earlier do not know what will happen)
I do not think that judges deciding who won is necessarily an improvement.

If the election is decided by legal teams then why bother with the election? (as noted earlier do not know what will happen)
I do not think that judges deciding who won is necessarily an improvement.

Agreed. The only thing worse would be letting Trump and HIS lawyers and corrupt judicial appointees decide who won.
I totally applaud any effort to keep that from happening.

“Why bother with elections” is exactly what Cheato wants to hear.

Back
Top Bottom