• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

I don't know what to make of this cognitive dissonance (bumperstickers)

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
I do not know what to think about this. Spousal struggle? Overbearing parent? Straight up cognitive dissonance?
Seen at the mall today...

IMG_1744-001.JPG

Last edited:
If i had to guess, i'd say they were REALLY mad at Hillary, and didn't take half of Trump's shit seriously...

The randomness of the universe..

Shoot enough particles together for long enough, eventually someone stumbles on these two bumper stickers at the same time.

I'm going to guess that these were placed by (left-to-right) Teenager, Father, Mother.

Dad is a conservative Christian; Mum is an Atheist; and Teenager is sick of them fighting about it. :D

This is probably close to the truth. I have a friend who is a liberal Democrat and an atheist. Her husband is a Christian and a Republican. There has been no peace in their home since the election. Perhaps a similar couple decided to compromise and put both of their views on the car. The coexist sticker is what they are trying to achieve. I guess.

I'm going to guess that these were placed by (left-to-right) Teenager, Father, Mother.

Dad is a conservative Christian; Mum is an Atheist; and Teenager is sick of them fighting about it. :D

Statistically, Mum is less likely to be an atheist, but Dad is more likely to be a Trump supporter. I guess it's a wash.

Statistically, Mum is less likely to be an atheist, but Dad is more likely to be a Trump supporter. I guess it's a wash.

That was my thinking too. I am happy to believe that the parental roles might be the reverse of my conjecture. But I still think it's a case of 'one sticker each' in a family with a teenager who is sick of being stuck in the middle. :)

A member of my family wants more green space in town, talks about having green parcels so people can walk between them and not constantly have concrete and storefronts at every turn. And the kicker is she is a diehard Christian Trump supporter.

The Lesson: People are goofy, or at least uninformed.

It happens. You want to believe it can't but it does. I knew an atheist at my old job. He had great arguments against the existence of god, but very little critical thinking ability. He was an avid Alex Jones (Infowars) fan, and never saw a conspiracy theory he didn't like. He was antisemitic to boot.

covering all the bases. good strategy. most people will naturally read the one they agree with first and dismiss the rest as 'spousal whatever'.

It happens. You want to believe it can't but it does. I knew an atheist at my old job. He had great arguments against the existence of god, but very little critical thinking ability. He was an avid Alex Jones (Infowars) fan, and never saw a conspiracy theory he didn't like. He was antisemitic to boot.

The Darwin and Trump stickers are easier to imagine together for the reason you stated. Also, because many of the atheists who support Trump because they share his total lack of concern for the poor and opposition to government regulations on the rich. But such people wouldn't have a Coexist sticker.

I can also imagine the Coexist with the Trump sticker for a Christian, many of whom try to mask the inherent intolerance and hate that their fundamentalist worldview in based upon with words nice sounding words. IOW, they mean, "let's all coexist under the thumb of God's authority." But such people would not embrace atheism.

What makes this another level of internal incoherence is all 3 of them together.

I can imagine that for some people, 'Coexist' means, "Don't argue with me."

Back
Top Bottom