• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

I went to the fights last night, and the Oscars broke out

hurtinbuckaroo

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
laissez le bon temps rouler
With apologies to Rodney Dangerfield. Chris Rock did what they pay him to do, and Will Smith goes full idiot. I guess the ratings will be up next year.

Cheers on the thread title.

As to the content, if your wife had an uncontrolled disease that caused disfigurement and someone teased her about the effects would you not stand up for her?

Cheers on the thread title.

As to the content, if your wife had an uncontrolled disease that caused disfigurement and someone teased her about the effects would you not stand up for her?
Yes, but not with violence.

Imagine how it would have played out if they had simply walked out. They make their point, Rock gets shown up in front of a global audience, and the Academy would be apologizing and begging them to come back, in case he won the Best Actor award.

Best to have used his award speech to poke at Rock. It was a crap joke and Smith’s reaction wasn’t appropriate. And people are over reacting.

Most of you would not have thought of this, though Zipr gets pretty close. Actually two things.

First, this is toxic masculinity playing out. Stop teaching boys that violence is ok if it's "defending my ____" whether that blank is a woman or property, and society still seems to be fuzzy about the difference there.

I like Will Smith. He did a dumb thing and I found his apology to be lovely and seemed genuine. But he's a product of his culture like the rest of us. His apology actually shows that some men at least know how to apologize and try to do better next time.

Second, I can understand the pain on the part of him and Jada. A man (1) belittling (2) a Black woman (3) about her hair, (4) or lack thereof due to a medical condition.

Stop bragging about gratuitous cruelty and be grown up humans. Stop excusing assholes who aren't capable of telling a joke without demeaning or disrespecting someone.

I hope some of you read this post to the end and the following quote that I'm pasting in from one of my FB groups:

"A post from your everloving Admin.

"A few hours ago, an asshat made a joke about a woman’s medical condition and her partner slugged the jokester.
If you’re vvhyte, you may be ignorant of some things that I (also a vvhyte woman) just didn’t know.

"Listen up.

"A woman of color explained to me that within the black community, alopecia carries a stigma. A STIGMA. Jada was one of the first well-known black women to be up front about it and discuss it in public. .. to talk about her hair - her beautiful black hair and its loss.

"There’s a lot more that needs said about black hair in society and classism and etc, but there’s one thing I’m going to say right now.

"We are going to buck the goddamn whyte trend of not understanding what black hair means to a black woman, and we are NOT going to be ignorant about what it means to that black woman to know she has a medical condition that causes her to lose her glorious hair. Then we are going to be Double-Not Ignorant about the courage it took her to talk about that loss in public. She is Brave and open-hearted to do so.

"The male asshat who pointedly and intentionally made a joke about her loss on TV, is NOT the good guy.

"In the meantime, read up about black hair and it’s role in the lives of melanin-rich folk in whyte or business or social society.

"This is our chance to **listen** to our BIPOC sisters and keep our yaps shut, except maybe to cheer on Jada.

"Ignorance is going to happen, but let’s fight it. Cheers for Jada and her strength and poise!"

First, this is toxic masculinity playing out. Stop teaching boys that violence is ok if it's "defending my ____" whether that blank is a woman or property, and society still seems to be fuzzy about the difference there.
Perhaps you'd like to go tell that to Pres. Zelensky and the Ukrainian people who are "defending my ______ <--- insert "country" here. As distasteful as it can be, violence sometimes is the right (and perhaps only) answer and it would be immoral to stand by and do nothing. That said, the Oscars incident was definitely not one of those situations.

Perhaps you'd like to go tell that to Pres. Zelensky and the Ukrainian people who are "defending my ______ <--- insert "country" here. As distasteful as it can be, violence sometimes is the right (and perhaps only) answer and it would be immoral to stand by and do nothing. That said, the Oscars incident was definitely not one of those situations.

If we're talking about violence, everyone has the right to defend themselves. Chris Rock is a disrespectful dolt, but he didn't hit anyone.

And your comparing Ukraine defending itself as a country to the cultural garbage that teaches boys that aggression = courage and that they must use physical violence in response to verbal violence is the stupidest thing I've read on this topic. And there's a lot of stupid on this topic. And by the way, the culture I criticize produces the Putins of the world.

Jebus!

Blah blah... hyperbolic false equivalence. Blah blah, that false equivalence is false.

It is a self debunking post that negates its own existence.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if JPS was faking she has alopecia. Her, her husband and the kids are all drama queens.

I think President Zelensky is a bit too busy at the moment. But I’m sure he, unlike you, understands the difference between defending one’s country and reacting to a verbal insult.

And your comparing Ukraine defending itself as a country to the cultural garbage that teaches boys that aggression = courage and that they must use physical violence in response to verbal violence is the stupidest thing I've read on this topic.
I mean...fucking. Asinine statements like the one thebeave made is the reason people think I have a palm shaped birthmark on my face.

Zelenskyy? I would imagine that the actor who became the actual president of a nation by first playing one for laughs on the television would get a good laugh out of this whole Oscars situation... if he weren't currently busy with much more urgent problems.

Putin on the other hand doesn't understand jokes to begin with, but is confused as to why anyone would object to a man defending his property.

Zelenskyy? I would imagine that the actor who became the actual president of a nation by first playing one for laughs on the television would get a good laugh out of this whole Oscars situation... if he weren't currently busy with much more urgent problems.

Oh I don't know. Zelensky wasn't so busy that he couldn't put in an appearance at the Grammy's.

Oh I don't know. Zelensky wasn't so busy that he couldn't put in an appearance at the Grammy's.
It's amazing, how the Trump era has managed to build such a amicable community of authoritarians and fascists, even within what would normally appear to be enemy nations or at least rivals.

It's amazing, how the Trump era has managed to build such a amicable community of authoritarians and fascists, even within what would normally appear to be enemy nations or at least rivals.

Gibberish.

And it appears you are not aware that Zelensky approached the Oscar committee (or who ever runs that show) about getting on the Oscars.

Chris Rock did his crass act insulting a woman's physical condition due to serious disease, and on global TV.

Smith should have waited until they were outside and bet the shit out of him.

If yiu think what Chris Said was acdeptable suppose I walked up to you and insulyed the way your wife looks in a public place like a restorant? And then I laughed. How woud you respond? How would your wife reel?

It is Chris Rock who should be banned.

Back
Top Bottom