• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Iconic, gut-punch moments from television shows

On HBO's series Rome 1st season ender, when a long held secret is finally outed, Lucius is seen at the table, grappling with his love for his wife and his Roman duty to honor, a knife in his hand. Roman honor demands he kill his wife for her actions. But he is near tears, trying to work himself up to the killing

and failing. His wife Niobe spares him the decision by committing suicide. Lucius is last seen holding his wife's body and weeping. It was heart-wrenching and you were sitting there, stunned, saying no no no no no. Because a major plot of the whole season had been Lucius returning to his arranged marriage wife he hadn't seen in 6 years because he'd been on campaign in Gaul. The audience watched their sometimes awkward and sometimes charming attempts to get to know each other again and we all watched them fall in love for real.

Fuck.:(

It's been over 10 years. And it's STILL upsetting.

Sounds highly reminiscent of the scene in the reimagined Battlestar Galactica in which colonel Tigh had to execute his own wife for political reasons, which would have been broadcast a couple of years before Rome. That was also haunting, made even moreso by the fact that both Tigh and his wife were deeply flawed, damaged people with a deeply flawed, damaged marriage but still cared about one another.

I think Rome's first season ender aired in 2005, right around the time Galactica first started. Not sure it would have hit me the same. Lucius and his wife were good and courageous people, trying to do what was right.

On HBO's series Rome 1st season ender, when a long held secret is finally outed, Lucius is seen at the table, grappling with his love for his wife and his Roman duty to honor, a knife in his hand. Roman honor demands he kill his wife for her actions. But he is near tears, trying to work himself up to the killing

and failing. His wife Niobe spares him the decision by committing suicide. Lucius is last seen holding his wife's body and weeping. It was heart-wrenching and you were sitting there, stunned, saying no no no no no. Because a major plot of the whole season had been Lucius returning to his arranged marriage wife he hadn't seen in 6 years because he'd been on campaign in Gaul. The audience watched their sometimes awkward and sometimes charming attempts to get to know each other again and we all watched them fall in love for real.

Fuck.:(

It's been over 10 years. And it's STILL upsetting.

Sounds highly reminiscent of the scene in the reimagined Battlestar Galactica in which colonel Tigh had to execute his own wife for political reasons, which would have been broadcast a couple of years before Rome. That was also haunting, made even moreso by the fact that both Tigh and his wife were deeply flawed, damaged people with a deeply flawed, damaged marriage but still cared about one another.

There were a lot of moments in BSG that were gut-punches. My choice would be:

When Dualla shot herself.

It was so matter of fact.

This was a pretty big deal when it first aired back in the late '70's. Edith (from All In The Family) gets attacked by a serial rapist in her own home on her 50th birthday. The full two part episode is below. I don't want to spoil what happens, but if you don't want to watch the whole episode, at least watch from the 20:00 minute mark. Oddly enough, the actor who portrayed the rapist got death threats!

When they find Bruno's clothes neatly folded near the concentration camp fence.

I think Rome's first season ender aired in 2005, right around the time Galactica first started. Not sure it would have hit me the same. Lucius and his wife were good and courageous people, trying to do what was right.

I'm going by what wikipedia said, which put BSG a couple years earlier, I think.

I'm going by what wikipedia said, which put BSG a couple years earlier, I think.

According to IMDB, both had their first season in 2005.

The entire episode Subway from Homicide, in Angel

Wesley's death with Fred.

, and in Babylon 5

I forget the episode name, but episode where the rehab'd monk/brother is murdered, at the end when the killer with the mind wipe is now a brother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom