• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

I'd like to post some pictures

dendrast

Standing in my living room, yelling at the televis
Basic Beliefs
Greybeard loon
Who doesn't like to brag?

Unfortunately, like Wholly Goats, I really am having trouble resizing pictures from my files that I took so that they can be posted.

Is there any chance of a "user friendly" fix? I hesitate to say the name of The Site Whose Name Must Not be Mentioned, but one of the reasons for the success of Facebook is that they made it (all too) easy to post pictures. What do you say, RayJ? Is it even possible? Anybody else? Is it even a good idea.

I promise I won't post any pictures of food. At least not food I didn't make. Or bathroom selfies (shudder).

Unfortunately, like Wholly Goats, I really am having trouble resizing pictures from my files that I took so that they can be posted.

Is there any chance of a "user friendly" fix? I hesitate to say the name of The Site Whose Name Must Not be Mentioned, but one of the reasons for the success of Facebook is that they made it (all too) easy to post pictures. What do you say, RayJ? Is it even possible? Anybody else? Is it even a good idea.

I promise I won't post any pictures of food. At least not food I didn't make. Or bathroom selfies (shudder).

In Windows, right click on the file. Choose edit to open paint. Select resize and reduce accordingly. I believe the size limit is 512kb.

Can't help you if you are posting from a phone or apple device. I'm unfamiliar with quick photo editing on those.

Thanks. I'll see what I can do. "Watch this space".

You can't see it, but I'm whimpering in the corner, with my blankie held to my face.

I have pix I haven't mastered moving from my smartphone to my PC.

I tried that and failed, too.

This happens a lot when I attempt to deal with technological details of my photos. I feel cursed.

You can't see it, but I'm whimpering in the corner, with my blankie held to my face.

This happens a lot when I attempt to deal with technological details of my photos. I feel cursed.

Usually on a PC, it's just plug the phone in, wait a few moments and a dialogue will pop up. One of the options will be to transfer your pictures. Choose that and it will automatically copy them to a new folder in your pictures folder.

Usually on a PC, it's just plug the phone in, wait a few moments and a dialogue will pop up. One of the options will be to transfer your pictures. Choose that and it will automatically copy them to a new folder in your pictures folder.

Yeah...That's what I had with my cameras. And, after I got back from overseas, I had a friend help me download. Successfully. But, the smartphone does not always produce the 'walk-through' dialog box. When it did, and I followed the instructions (I thought), it still did not successfully download pix to the PC.

I am in the "I need to step away from this from this for a while" mode.

With the file open in MS Paint, press Ctrl+W to open the resizing dialog, then tab once to the first percentage box, type the percent you want, and then press Enter. If it skews, press Ctrl+W again and make sure the "Maintain aspect ratio" box is checked in the resizing dialog.

A ridiculously easy solution is to open an account with postimages.org. After you drag whatever image files you want to upload you'll be given several options the site will resize them for you, ranging from 100 x75 to 1600 x 1200 pixels. You can also choose not to have them resized at all. To share one of your photos just click on the link symbol above it, copy the url, and paste it into your post with the image tag. It works like PB used to before they put the paywall up, and at this stage it's free.

You can take advantage of Facebook's easy option - simply post the picture on your FB page (you can set the privacy to 'Only Me' if you don't want it to be available to anybody else on that platform); Then download the picture from your own FB page - presto, the downloaded version has been re-sized to fit into FB's servers, and is now (usually) small enough to post here. It doesn't always work, but it's frequently effective - particularly if you are posting from a phone or tablet.

I generally just use the 'resize' option in GIMP, if I am on my laptop, and use the FB trick if I am posting from my phone.

If you get any error messages, google them. If you get none, google anyway. Chances are that you or your friend made some change to the computer's setup that borked the connection without realising it. Chances are that someone else has made the same mistake, taken it to the internet and a solution has been offered. Experiment with the keywords to search with. You might find the solution immediately or after many attempts, but it is very likely that you will find it. That's my experience anyway when I (or my cat) fucked something up via keyboard. Mayhem is very good at pressing obscure key combinations that turn out to be shortcuts I never knew about to change things about how the computer works in away I don't want at all, such as disabling the mouse. Turning the screen black without turning the monitor off was not nice. Luckily, I have access to the internet on two desktop computers, one laptop and a phone.

You can take advantage of Facebook's easy option - simply post the picture on your FB page (you can set the privacy to 'Only Me' if you don't want it to be available to anybody else on that platform); Then download the picture from your own FB page - presto, the downloaded version has been re-sized to fit into FB's servers, and is now (usually) small enough to post here. It doesn't always work, but it's frequently effective - particularly if you are posting from a phone or tablet.

I generally just use the 'resize' option in GIMP, if I am on my laptop, and use the FB trick if I am posting from my phone.

I've been trying to wean myself from Facebook, but that sounds the easiest. I even have a special page for what I do. I know I should master the resizing myself, particularly since I still use only a PC.

My workaround was to download the pictures from Facebook to my machine into a special file, then upload them again to here. I couldn't figure out how to link to the url without linking my whole FB page here, and that should be a no-no. If it isn't, it should be.

My workaround was to download the pictures from Facebook to my machine into a special file, then upload them again to here. I couldn't figure out how to link to the url without linking my whole FB page here, and that should be a no-no. If it isn't, it should be.

Agreed.

It's not too hard to figure out how to modify images just based on the error dialogs you get when you try to upload.

Some of the stuff in my Trace Art album really should be GIF, but GIF images have to be limited to 600 x 600, so I had to go with JPG, which is hardly ideal for that type of image with large solid swaths of unchanging colors. Can we make larger PNG images with lower numbers of colors like a GIF? I admit that I didn't try that.

Back
Top Bottom