• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

If Jesus was alive today I think he would be an atheist

Basic Beliefs
Civilizationist
The truth is so far from what the church is teaching today that if Jesus was alive today I think he would be an atheist.

He'd certainly be a 'None.' No religious affiliation.
But more like Joseph Smith. None of you fucks got it right, I'm the only one with the Word.

The truth is so far from what the church is teaching today that if Jesus was alive today I think he would be an atheist.
Sure, if he respected the truth, Jesus might well be an atheist today. In fact, I've wondered if he was an atheist back in his day knowing that what he was saying was a lot of baloney.

I honestly don't know what Jesus himself believed but he taught using parables and signs and everybody sees what they want to see in those parables of the signs. If you want to see bullshit then that's what you see

I'm not sure he would be an atheist, but I'm pretty sure he'd be disgusted with his contemporary followers and would probably prefer the company of the atheists who I know personally. I would assume that Jesus would be bothered by all the godly ones who are always asking Jesus or his father for help t hem with their mundane problems. At least we atheists try to solve our own problems without calling on a higher power for help.

The NT character Jesus from John would be a god in his own religion.

I have no problem with Jesus returning and being in charge. If he shows up, he can run for public office, and, if democratically elected, serve subject to normal term limits, after which he is free to go on the professional speaker circuit :rolleyes:

Making light of god to the Jews would be blasphemy. Something about not taking the lord's name in vein?

If a wandering Christian mystic came in from the desert and began attacking modern Christianity claiming to be the son of god with no material means of support , he would get 'crucified'.

In our enlightened times he would be committed to an institution for mental evaluation. If he caused trouble in a mega church or the Vatican he would be arrested.

In the context of the gospel Jesus I do not see how anyone can think modern Certainty is something Jesus would approve of.

Making light of god to the Jews would be blasphemy. Something about not taking the lord's name in vein?

If a wandering Christian mystic came in from the desert and began attacking modern Christianity claiming to be the son of god with no material means of support , he would get 'crucified'.

In our enlightened times he would be committed to an institution for mental evaluation. If he caused trouble in a mega church or the Vatican he would be arrested.

In the context of the gospel Jesus I do not see how anyone can think modern Certainty is something Jesus would approve of.
He was no fan of institutionalized religion as we call it these days, that much is certain. Though he also seems to have treated people's social labels as largely irrelevant to how he treated them personally. I don't think he would care a great deal about "Christianity", but he would care a great deal about Christians... and Jews, and Buddhists, and Muslims, and atheists....

Sadly that is so true it hurts.

You might be right. The Jesus we read about in the Gospels never recognized any spiritual authority, and since many of today's spiritual authorities espouse a God, then I think Jesus would be loathe to agree with them. At the very least Jesus would come up with a different God than what most people today believe in just like he did in his day (if we can believe the Gospel writers).

He'd certainly be a 'None.' No religious affiliation.
But more like Joseph Smith. None of you fucks got it right, I'm the only one with the Word.
Yes. Jesus would "reform" the religion he presumably created refusing to join any sect founded by anybody else. He just hated to admit that anybody could trump him on any religious matter, and if he did agree with anybody, then he would claim he had the idea first.

I'm not sure he would be an atheist, but I'm pretty sure he'd be disgusted with his contemporary followers and would probably prefer the company of the atheists who I know personally. I would assume that Jesus would be bothered by all the godly ones who are always asking Jesus or his father for help t hem with their mundane problems. At least we atheists try to solve our own problems without calling on a higher power for help.
Jesus might at first prefer atheists because they belong to no religion, and he might see them as easier to convert than those who follow some other religious leader. But if he has trouble getting some atheists to believe what he's saying, then he'd probably respond with fury telling them they're going to hell.

A minor point.

How can the half human half god product of a god inseminating a human women be atheist?

Back
Top Bottom