• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

If Solar And Wind Are So Cheap, Why Are They Making Electricity So Expensive?

At the end of the day if you are pro nuke, is it ok in your bavkyard?
You are assuming that any objection would be over concern of radiation - a really bad assumption.

Personally, I chose to live in an area where I could have some quiet and privacy. I can not see my nearest neighbor, only nature. Any objection I would have to a power plant being built across from my driveway would be the traffic. However I would prefer a nuke power plant to a subdivision being developed next to me - the power plant would only create traffic during shift change.

If it was iproposed in your neighborhood, would object in public meeting?

There are a number of regulations that across industry are probably too limiting or unnecessary.

That being said environmental regulations on contaminants usually have a science basis. When I was just a factory worker in the 70s I used to clean my hands with MEK, methyl ethyl ketone a strong solvent. It was widely used in manufacturing to clean items wirth little restrictions. Along comes OSHA who says all chemicals used in industry must be properly contained, laneled with hazarf level, and an MSD or Manufacturers Safety Data Sheet detailing risks, handling, safety.

It costs manufacturers money to comply. Industry will always complain about regulations. Up through the 70s circuit board manufacturers dumped liquid waste down the sewers. Now they are required to store it in holding tanks and have it treated. Plenty of examples I know first had. Integrated circuit manufacturers use phosgene gas.

Of course the nuke industry will complain about regulations. I expect waste regulations are based on statistical estimates based on experiment with living organisms. Hiroshima and Nagasaki were used extensively over generations to develop statistical models from residual background radiation.
A silly comparison. There is nothing wrong with reasonable regulation. It is nothing more than rational concern and guidelines that promote safety. The problem is regulation for the sake of regulation that does not make anything safer - in some cases it creates a more unsafe environment.
Even lowest level waste like garments need to be accounted for, unless you think they should go to the local landfill.
This assumes that because the regulations define something as "low level radioactive waste" that it actually is radioactive. Garments worn by workers in the control room would have actually been "exposed" to less radiation than they would if they had been worn by someone in the parking lot of the local mall. Do the garments worn by shopping mall parking lot workers "need to be accounted for" too?

You are assuming that any objection would be over concern of radiation - a really bad assumption.

Personally, I chose to live in an area where I could have some quiet and privacy. I can not see my nearest neighbor, only nature. Any objection I would have to a power plant being built across from my driveway would be the traffic. However I would prefer a nuke power plant to a subdivision being developed next to me - the power plant would only create traffic during shift change.

A silly comparison. There is nothing wrong with reasonable regulation. It is nothing more than rational concern and guidelines that promote safety. The problem is regulation for the sake of regulation that does not make anything safer - in some cases it creates a more unsafe environment.
Even lowest level waste like garments need to be accounted for, unless you think they should go to the local landfill.
This assumes that because the regulations define something as "low level radioactive waste" that it actually is radioactive. Garments worn by workers in the control room would have actually been "exposed" to less radiation than they would if they had been worn by someone in the parking lot of the local mall. Do the garments worn by shopping mall parking lot workers "need to be accounted for" too?

Oh yeah?

Well if plutonium is so safe, why are there still monkeys??

You can't answer that, can you?

Checkmate, radiationists.

Can you please put some numbers to that?

Peez
There apparently is no "safe" level for those who refuse to recognize that radiation is everywhere and natural. They must fear and avoid bananas like they would eboli. I have to wonder how they would manage to live if they ever learned that there is arsenic (deadly shit) in every glass of water they drink even if they only drink bottled water.
Too true, but I was hoping (perhaps vainly) that working with actual numbers here would make it plain how the amount of radiation we inevitably receive from our food, water, and air (not to mention the sky and the Earth) compares to the amount we might receive from clothing worn by an engineer who sat in a nuclear power plant control room.

Peez

At the end of the day if you are pro nuke, is it ok in your bavkyard?

No--large industrial facilities of any type do not belong in residential areas.

Note, however, that I live not too far Yucca Mountain and my only opposition to it is that I favor less permanent disposal. The high level "waste" is mostly fuel, eventually we are going to come to our senses.

That being said environmental regulations on contaminants usually have a science basis. When I was just a factory worker in the 70s I used to clean my hands with MEK, methyl ethyl ketone a strong solvent. It was widely used in manufacturing to clean items wirth little restrictions. Along comes OSHA who says all chemicals used in industry must be properly contained, laneled with hazarf level, and an MSD or Manufacturers Safety Data Sheet detailing risks, handling, safety.

In cases where politics isn't a factor the safety regulations are usually reasonable. When you plot $ spent vs lives saved you find most regulations (and things like road safety) have a cost in the 7 digits. Since that's also in the ballpark of a lifetime's productivity this seems reasonable.

Unfortunately, when there's some noisy group involved the numbers can get insane. Some nuclear regulations carry 10 digit price tags.

When the wind and rain spreads this radioactive crap around, we may well end up eating it as it enters the ecosystem and water, air and land. So the old, "Let's just dig a trench and bury it" was a short sighted and lazy way of doing things. The last thing you want to find out is that a plutonium processing plant buried it's radioactive crap in rusty barrels and let that be a problem for somebody else in the future. Imagine anybody daring to object to this moronic manner of dealing with radioactive waste! Part of the fun was that stuff just dumped into trenches was being dug up by prairie dogs and was spread around. Dumb asses! And I don't mean the prairie dogs.

He's specifically talking about low level waste. That's stuff that might have been contaminated. The lowest category of this includes most of the stuff that comes out of a dismantled nuclear plant. It has a radioactivity under 10,000 becquerels per kilogram. For comparison, the human body has a radioactivity of about 8,000 becquerels per kilogram.

https://www.nytimes.com/1990/03/29/us/38-year-plutonium-loss-at-plant-equals-7-bombs.html

Seven nuclear bombs' worth of plutonium escaped into air ducts at the Rocky Flats weapons plant near Denver over the 38 years of the plant's operation, Federal officials said yesterday.

Officials of the Federal Department of Energy said workers had detected 28 kilograms, or about 62 pounds, in the ducts, more than twice the amount of plutonium they had been expected to find. Plutonium is so toxic that it is usually accounted for in quantities expressed in grams or thousandths of a kilogram.

----------

Trust us! What could possibly go wrnog?

https://www.nytimes.com/1990/03/29/us/38-year-plutonium-loss-at-plant-equals-7-bombs.html

Seven nuclear bombs' worth of plutonium escaped into air ducts at the Rocky Flats weapons plant near Denver over the 38 years of the plant's operation, Federal officials said yesterday.

Officials of the Federal Department of Energy said workers had detected 28 kilograms, or about 62 pounds, in the ducts, more than twice the amount of plutonium they had been expected to find. Plutonium is so toxic that it is usually accounted for in quantities expressed in grams or thousandths of a kilogram.

----------

I presume that you also oppose the use of gasoline powered vehicles on the basis that Napalm is an horrific weapon?

Either that, or you are a) Too stupid to engage in this debate, as you are incapable of spotting the difference between making electricity and making bombs; OR b) Are capable of grasping the difference, but choose to conflate the two in the hope that others are too stupid to notice your bait-and-switch; or c) A little of both.

I oppose rooftop solar, because the Belgrano was sunk by a Royal Navy submarine, so clearly technology isn't safe.

That may seem like nonsense to you (and it is); But it is actually a BETTER argument against rooftop solar, than your above quoted post is as an argument against nuclear power.

Seriously, this is just like debating a creationist. If, as it appears, you actively want to remain ignorant of the subject, then you should either stop posting about it, or expect to be ridiculed.

We are discussing electricity generation. The goalposts are over there. :rolleyes:

----------

Other than the fact that this has absolutely nothing to do with the issue being discussed (nuclear power plants), that article confirmed that the system at Flats weapons plant did not "go wrong". It appears to have worked exactly as designed. The glove boxes operate under negative pressure so any dust will be forced into the ducts where it is trapped rather than escaping into the environment.

The only error is that they apparently under-estimated how much dust there would be. But then the system was obviously designed to handle even a much greater erroneous estimate.

----------

Other than the fact that this has absolutely nothing to do with the issue being discussed (nuclear power plants), that article confirmed that the system at Flats weapons plant did not "go wrong". It appears to have worked exactly as designed. The glove boxes operate under negative pressure so any dust will be forced into the ducts where it is trapped rather than escaping into the environment.

The only error is that they apparently under-estimated how much dust there would be. But then the system was obviously designed to handle even a much greater erroneous estimate.

Indeed. And Plutonium isn't all that dangerous. It's chemically toxic, but not more so than other heavy metals like lead, or mercury. And it is an alpha-emitter with a long half-life, making it one of the least dangerous radioisotopes around with regard to human exposure to radiation effects.

Plutonium is sometimes described in media reports as the most toxic substance known to man, although there is general agreement among experts in the field that this is incorrect. As of 2003, there has yet to be a single human death officially attributed to plutonium exposure. Naturally-occurring radium is about 200 times more radiotoxic than plutonium, and some organic toxins like Botulism toxin are billions of times more toxic than plutonium.

The alpha radiation it emits does not penetrate the skin, but can irradiate internal organs when plutonium is inhaled or ingested. Extremely small particles of plutonium on the order of micrograms can cause lung cancer if inhaled into the lungs. Considerably larger amounts may cause acute radiation poisoning and death if ingested or inhaled; however, so far, no human is known to have died because of inhaling or ingesting plutonium and many people have measurable amounts of plutonium in their bodies. Plutonium is a dangerous substance that has been used in explosives for a long time. It is released into the atmosphere primarily by atmospheric testing of nuclear weapons and by accidents at weapon production sites. When plutonium is released into the atmosphere it will fall back onto earth eventually and end up in soils.

Exposure of humans to plutonium is not likely, but sometimes it takes place as a result of accidental releases during use, transport or disposal.

Because plutonium has no gamma radiation, health effects are not likely to occur while working with plutonium, unless it is breathed in or swallowed somehow.

(Source) (My bold).

----------

Unfortunately, the nuclear industry has had a long history of be sloppy. I live in Houston, Texas, a place that is well within the cancer melt, thanks to oil and chemistry industry. Lots of EPA sites to clean up. Almost yearly chemical plant explosions due to sub-contracter poorly trained employees doing stupid things. Fighting efforts to clean up their act like a pack of rabid raccoons. Since my job of 35 years was closely related to these industries, including a good share of legal models to explain to juries, jusu what went wrong that killed 3 workers, I am quite aware of just how stupid and careless these "experts" can be All crying "Regulation BADDDDDD!" any time there is an effort to end the worst stupidities. So, I am biased. My company long ago did work on nuclear energy sites, and we got of lot of industry journals that told their fair share of horror stories to consider So for me, it is a generic case of "stupidity abounds and you cannot trust anybody to regulate themselves". Of course there are other aspects of this nuclear nonsense. Mining leaves radioactive wastes that are still killing miners. We had drums of nuclear waste exploding because they were mixed in drums of kitty litter, but the wrong kind of kitty litter. The entire Yucca Flats fiasco. Sure, build a nuclear waste storage facility on an active earth quake fault. And fight that stupidity tooth and nail for decades. We don't need no steenkin' regulation! Or common sense. Sorry. But I am prejudiced because I had a ringside seat into industry stupid for many years. Now we have another myth. Over regulation run amuck. No. Regulation because otherwise, stupid.

A few years ago here in Houston, we had some big coal fired plants of old design spewing large amounts of particulate matter. Studying that type of particulate matter the EPA found it was deadly stuff. The EPA estimated these plants would kill 12,000 people over 10 years.
There were laws proposed to mandate scrubbers to eliminate that particulate matter. The idiots running these plants went into full rabid industry mode opposing those measures and pressed the Texas legislature to not pass clean up regulations, crying their usual battle cries. "Too much regulation! Jobs! Jobs!" They were under pressure from solar and fracking, natural gas. 12,000 dead over a decade? Didn't care a peep! I have seen this sort of crap for many decades now. Bilby doesn't have my backround. Has not seen the stupidities I have seen. I don't trust anybody to do the right thing, not through some hard headed ignorance, but because I have see how this crap happens.

An interesting idea I ran into for storage: Compressed air. It's more expensive than batteries but it has a much longer operating life, thus lower total life cycle costs.

The main problem is either you use low pressure and get big tanks, or you use high pressure and get abysmal efficiency.

However, to some degree that can be overcome by combining things. The energy loss comes off as heat during storage (which could be used to heat things like the house or the water tank) and cold during extraction (which could be used for AC/refrigeration/freezing.)

----------

Unfortunately, the nuclear industry has had a long history of be sloppy.
That's simply not true, unless (yet again) you are conflating power with bombs.

The nuclear power industry has a better record of safety than any other industry in the history of humanity. In the entire sixty year history of nuclear power, there has been exactly one fatal accident, with a death toll of fewer than 100 people; Any other industry would be envious of such a record.
I live in Houston, Texas, a place that is well within the cancer melt, thanks to oil and chemistry industry.
Yup. Those industries stink. They need to do a LOT better.
Lots of EPA sites to clean up. Almost yearly chemical plant explosions due to sub-contracter poorly trained employees doing stupid things. Fighting efforts to clean up their act like a pack of rabid raccoons. Since my job of 35 years was closely related to these industries, including a good share of legal models to explain to juries, jusu what went wrong that killed 3 workers, I am quite aware of just how stupid and careless these "experts" can be All crying "Regulation BADDDDDD!" any time there is an effort to end the worst stupidities. So, I am biased.
Presumably, biased in favour of the nuclear power industry, where such things have never been tolerated?
My company long ago did work on nuclear energy sites, and we got of lot of industry journals that told their fair share of horror stories to consider
"horror stories' that involve neither injury nor fatality are not that horrifying. Or were your company (not you personally I notice) working on sites unrelated to nuclear POWER?
So for me, it is a generic case of "stupidity abounds and you cannot trust anybody to regulate themselves".
Nobody is suggesting that you can, nor that we should. We should have tight and strictly enforced regulations to protect the health and safety of workers and of the wider community.

What we do NOT need is regulations that treat dirty laundry as some kind of lethal hazard for no reason other than to make one particular technology more expensive, thereby encouraging the use of other (FAR more dangerous) technologies instead.
Of course there are other aspects of this nuclear nonsense. Mining leaves radioactive wastes that are still killing miners.
Sure, mining is dangerous. Coal mining leaves far more waste than uranium mining does; And that waste is ALSO radioactive, and ALSO still killing workers. I would suggest we choose the lesser risk, rather than pick the worse case because we are uniquely and unreasonably fearful of the better one.
We had drums of nuclear waste exploding
Citation needed. 'Exploding' has a very specific meaning; merely 'splitting due to internal pressure from the slow expansion of the contents' is not 'exploding'. And what kind of waste was it? Nuclear power plant waste isn't routinely mixed with bentonite clay (I presume that's what you mean by 'kitty litter'); This poorly evidenced anecdote has all the hallmarks of yet another attempt to place the errors of nuclear bomb makers at the feet of people who use fission to make electricity. By the way, you still haven't apologized for napalming all those people. I mean, you didn't do it yourself, but you use gasoline, so that's basically the same thing, right?
because they were mixed in drums of kitty litter, but the wrong kind of kitty litter. The entire Yucca Flats fiasco.
Yucca flat is a nuclear bomb testing range. It has between three quarters and seven eighths of fuck all to do with nuclear power. Seriously, you need to learn about a subject before opining on it, if you don't want people to think you are either stupid or lying.
Sure, build a nuclear waste storage facility on an active earth quake fault. And fight that stupidity tooth and nail for decades. We don't need no steenkin' regulation! Or common sense. Sorry. But I am prejudiced because I had a ringside seat into industry stupid for many years. Now we have another myth. Over regulation run amuck. No. Regulation because otherwise, stupid.
What makes you think that you can't have both?
A few years ago here in Houston, we had some big coal fired plants of old design spewing large amounts of particulate matter. Studying that type of particulate matter the EPA found it was deadly stuff. The EPA estimated these plants would kill 12,000 people over 10 years.
There were laws proposed to mandate scrubbers to eliminate that particulate matter. The idiots running these plants went into full rabid industry mode opposing those measures and pressed the Texas legislature to not pass clean up regulations, crying their usual battle cries. "Too much regulation! Jobs! Jobs!" They were under pressure from solar and fracking, natural gas. 12,000 dead over a decade? Didn't care a peep! I have seen this sort of crap for many decades now.
Yup. That's why it makes sense to switch those plants for nuclear ones. By avoiding genuinely hazardous shit like this, nuclear power has already saved millions of lives. If every power plant currently burning coal was replaced by a nuclear power plant, then we could have a Chermobyl disaster every single week, and STILL be saving lives. Of course, even if those nuclear plants were designed, built, and operated by people as incompetent as the Soviets who designed, built, and operated the RBMKs, the actual frequency of such accidents would be measured in decades rather than weeks. With modern designs, they will be measured in centuries rather than decades.

Nuclear power isn't perfect. But is is tens of thousands of times better than coal power from a safety perspective (or indeed by pretty much any other measure you can think of, apart from public image). So if saving lives and removing health risks is important to you (and it should be), replacing coal plants with nuclear, as quickly as possible, should be your number one priority.
Bilby doesn't have my backround.
And you don't have mine.
Has not seen the stupidities I have seen.
Indeed not. But I have seen plenty of stupidities - just different ones. I have seen people genuinely trying to argue against changing from an industry that kills millions every year, to one that kills fewer than a dozen per decade, on the basis that the latter industry 'isn't safe enough'. I mean, that's some seriously impressive stupidity right there.
I don't trust anybody to do the right thing, not through some hard headed ignorance, but because I have see how this crap happens.

Except you haven't. You have NEVER seen a situation where a person was killed or injured by the nuclear power industry. Never. (Unless you were in the Ukraine in April 1986 - I'm betting you weren't).

You have seen people killed and injured by other industries; And you are determined to claim that nuclear must be just as bad - despite OVERWHELMING evidence that this is not true.

----------

I cannot help but notice that you avoid responding to any points raised, and instead go off on another vague argument you seem to hope will do better than the last one. Much like a creationist, really.

Peez

Back
Top Bottom