• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

If Trump wasn't a conman and incompetent but with same views would you vote for him?

repoman

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Science Based Atheism
Or would a lot more people vote for him?

Imagine if Trump never went bankrupt (probably planned to stiff his creditors and protect his assets - even when he started the businesses), never stiffed the people he hired (like the architect firm) and never ran the Trump U scam. He would be much scarier opponent to Clinton.

How would a combination of honest businessman, nativist and anti-islamic be combatted at this time and mood?

His views are what put me off of him.

The fact that he's a liar and a cheat only makes me wonder why so many working stiffs support a guy who stiffs so many people just like them.

How would a combination of honest businessman, nativist and anti-islamic be combatted at this time and mood?
President of the US is different from CEO of a company. Trump has no experience at being an elected official. He has never served 'the people,' just himself and, maybe, his investors. If he truly was a successful businessman, not just someone who throws lawyers at people he owes money to, i'd question if he ever displayed selflessness. Has he ever taken a personal loss in order to protect the interests of his investors? Has he taken a drop in pay so that his employees would not?

Does he actually serve his investors or employees? You know, 'the people?'

I think he went bankrupt about 4 times. However this in itself is not illegal as it is a procedure based on US Law. There could be valid reasons for this, but it seems that he may have been a bit of a risk taker. A businessman has to operate legally and the law tries to make such actions honest. Is he really nativist (White rather than American Indian) and is he anti Islamic or anti Islamist. It seems Hilary is not an angel either.

If the US had to suddenly pay its accumulated debts (around US$19 trillion) it too would go bankrupt. So what Trump did in business, it seems previous US leaders did in government. As I understand he wants to control illegal immigration and does not oppose the current laws on legal immigration unless I am wrong on the last point.

He's friends with Putin, so what. In current times we need an ally against international terrorism, and Russia hasn't been communist for a number of years. This is simply rivalry politics that should be put to rest.

If he is committed to not interfering again in the Middle East to bring about regime change, that's not a bad thing. While regime change was achieved things ended up worse and the fall out is still continuing.

Last edited:
Given that the views he espouses are grossly immoral and are mostly about treated people inhumanely, I doubt anyone that agreed with his espoused views and policies give a crap that he is also an unethical scumbag in business. In fact, if he wasn't so unethical in business, he wouldn't be as wealthy or famous, so he'd get less support from the idiots who think those things are presidential qualifications.

Given that the views he espouses are grossly immoral and are mostly about treated people inhumanely, I doubt anyone that agreed with his espoused views and policies give a crap that he is also an unethical scumbag in business. In fact, if he wasn't so unethical in business, he wouldn't be as wealthy or famous, so he'd get less support from the idiots who think those things are presidential qualifications.

His views on women are also abysmal. His knowledge of the Constitution is also extremely lacking. So no, he would never get my vote.

His views on women are also abysmal. His knowledge of the Constitution is also extremely lacking. So no, he would never get my vote.

His knowledge on almost all issues is dismal. He's probably the most ignorant major politician that has ever run for President of the US. But to make matters scarier, he's also an incredible micro-manager who almost completely ignores the advice of even his closest confidents. He's scary.

The most ignorant always think they know the most.

They are ignorant of their ignorance.

And many people who get rich think they did it because of special gifts and not because of luck of birth and a lot of greed.

I disagree with him too much on his expressed beliefs. He would have to have views compatible with mine for me to vote for him, or at least be closer to me than the other major party candidate. If he were running as a 3rd party candidate I wouldn't consider him at all regardless of his views.

If Trump HAD any views, I could answer the OP. His so-called "views" are whatever constitutes effective pandering to whoever's approval he is seeking in a given moment. The only consistent "views" he seems to hold are:

* Trump is great
* Hillary is corrupt

I don't really believe either.

Or would a lot more people vote for him?

Imagine if Trump never went bankrupt (probably planned to stiff his creditors and protect his assets - even when he started the businesses), never stiffed the people he hired (like the architect firm) and never ran the Trump U scam. He would be much scarier opponent to Clinton.

His economic proposals are deficit creating disasters.
He wants to let the far right Heritage clowns decide who our SC judges will be.
He's a climate change denier.
He's a divisive figure on race.

No way.

Ya, his positions are horrible. The fact that the person advocating those positions is horrible as well is just icing on the disgust-with-him cake.

Argumentum Ad Crumenam's cousin

I doubt it. I don't think ronburgundy is saying all wealthy and famous men are unethical in business.
But in Trump's case, there is a great deal of evidence that he, personally and singly, is unethical in his business practices.

I doubt it. I don't think ronburgundy is saying all wealthy and famous men are unethical in business.
But in Trump's case, there is a great deal of evidence that he, personally and singly, is unethical in his business practices.

Yea, in almost all cases, declaring business bankruptcy is unethical. It's almost always a method to avoid paying creditors and sub contractors and their workers.

A competent, well rehearsed, demagogue, playing on the fears of a people in economic turmoil?
Where have we seen that before?

If Trump were competent, knowledgeable (but still with a severe bias) and well rehearsed he would be a Geert Wilders or Norbert Hofer.

The problem is that the neoliberal "left" is so damn open borders that now any anti-immigration stance is knee-jerk tarred as racist. That is bringing rise to hard liners.

Well moderated immigration and less overreach by the EU on other issues would give the right wing almost no support. If I were in Europe I would vote for the hard right, blue cornflowers and all, to send a signal and at least stand as a bulwark against neoliberal "leftists". Then in a few years if things improved ditch the far right.

Back
Top Bottom