• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

If you were to join a church "for the hell of it" which one would you join?

NobleSavage

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I know a lot would say Unatirain Univeralists because they are mostly atheists. That's boring. I think I'd look at it like joining a fraternity. I want the biggest and the richest, hence the RCC. There total amount of wealth (which we don't really know, is estimated to be the largest fortune in the world.) I also think the Jesuits are bad ass.

One of the Viking gods. That way, if I decide to rape and pillage my way through a nearby village, I can sue the police for a civil rights violation for oppressing my freedom of religious expression if they try and arrest me for it.

I know a lot would say Unatirain Univeralists because they are mostly atheists.
Or as someone said, a congregation where they have, at the most, one god.

I am a cleargy in the Universal Life Church, for what that's worth.

My favorite religious outlook, though, was the Egyptian. The point of being on Earth was to figure out your favorite sports, foods, to train up a good hunting dog, then outfit your tomb with everything you wanted to have for eternity. It makes far more sense than making eternity either a reward or a punishment for a brief stint on Earth, most of it out of your control, judged by rules you get third or thirtieth-hand from the author...

Now if you just want to join a church for shits and giggles and the pure drama of it all, the Baptist church is for you.

One Sunday, back before I took the healing waters and was still a believer, The assistant pastor of our church got up to give the Old testament reading for the service but instead accused the senior pastor of fucking the asst. pastor's wife, who herself was the church clerk and sitting on the front row of choir. The pastor then rose to calm his assistant down and got a right cross for his trouble.

Quick service that day.

(But they still managed to find time to pass the plate)

I would probably look for one that has more opportunities for volunteer charity work and more social events. No idea which one that would be.

Neopagans, perhaps. But maybe because I don't know any so I imagine them being skyclad worshipping nature and being cool all the time. LOL

Are there still some around who worship Dionysus? That could work for me.

Now if you just want to join a church for shits and giggles and the pure drama of it all, the Baptist church is for you.

One Sunday, back before I took the healing waters and was still a believer, The assistant pastor of our church got up to give the Old testament reading for the service but instead accused the senior pastor of fucking the asst. pastor's wife, who herself was the church clerk and sitting on the front row of choir. The pastor then rose to calm his assistant down and got a right cross for his trouble.

Quick service that day.

(But they still managed to find time to pass the plate)

Haha. I grew up in a Southern Baptist church. My father was the minister. I've seen the drama first hand.

I am a cleargy in the Universal Life Church, for what that's worth.

Small world. I got a Ph.D. and ordaination by them as a joke. We need to get together and form a church, tax exemption would be nice. I have thought that forming "The First Congretation of the Born Again Hedonist" could be fun. ;)

PhD.jpg

Top three if I had to pick

1. The Viking gods - you get to drink beer every night, after you get resurrected from warring all day with your friends in a safe environment. What's not to like about that?

2. Dionysus - seems like the best god to throw a good party.

3. Unitarian Universalism - because maybe there is a god

A Buddhist "church".

Karl / Lenny: Who wears short shorts?

Richard Gere: They are so far off.

If you were to join a church "for the hell of it" which one would you join?

A friend joined the one with the biggest singles group so he could find a girl and get laid.

- - - Updated - - -

Are there still some around who worship Dionysus? That could work for me.

Yup. They don't have a church though. That's not part of the religion.

It's already come and gone, something for the imagination and intellect to ponder, but I'd like to join the very first church of woo. Maybe they got together to yell at the moon or talk to an ancestor. It would be cool to stand alongside those original practitioners, observe their behaviors and rituals, experience their superstition, all the while cloaked in my invisibility, watching myself. Nothing like an original.

I am still a member of the mighty and majestic Church of the SubGenius after all these years. Though its been a coon's age since I play around of golf with Jesus.

It's already come and gone, something for the imagination and intellect to ponder, but I'd like to join the very first church of woo. Maybe they got together to yell at the moon or talk to an ancestor. It would be cool to stand alongside those original practitioners, observe their behaviors and rituals, experience their superstition, all the while cloaked in my invisibility, watching myself. Nothing like an original.
This religion may be to your liking then. Here's a link to one of their websites:

http://www.rael.org/home

or for Wikipedia's description of Raëlism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ra%C3%ABlism

Or then you may prefer the older, "more established", woo of Scientology:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology

If we're talking about joining a church just for the social experience, then I'd go with the Unitarians, too.

But if we're talking about more than that, I'd join a church where there was a fast track to becoming a preacher/pastor/leader and raking in the bucks.

I'm not half bad at public speaking, there's a lot of money to be made in "the ministry," and near as I can tell there's no hard and fast rule that you actually have to follow the religion in question.

Why join a church when you can open one?

Back
Top Bottom