• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Impeachment and Conviction Predictions

. Also, even though there may be enough Republicans who may prefer a convicted Trump, they are also afraid of their rabid constituents and getting primaried in the next election. .

Oh. So Republicans *do* negotiate with terrorists now?

My prediction is nothing will happen version 2.0 will be released for public consumption.

I do NOT understand the focus on impeachment, when Trump will be gone in a week anyway. If he could be removed from office immediately that would be good, but impeachment won't remove him at all, let alone quickly. It will just enrage him further and increase the risk he bombs Iran or does some other nastiness out of spite.

Of course it's important that leaders throughout the country go on record as condemning the criminal President, and GOP Congressmen should be forced to go on record. But a rushed impeachment is not the only way to do this. Aren't there more urgent needs over the next few weeks to rescue country and government from this Trump-induced cesspool?

I do NOT understand the focus on impeachment, when Trump will be gone in a week anyway. If he could be removed from office immediately that would be good, but impeachment won't remove him at all, let alone quickly. It will just enrage him further and increase the risk he bombs Iran or does some other nastiness out of spite.
But they must still impeach to:
End his pension of $200K
End his travel allowance of $1 mill
End his future political ambitions (including his ability to collect contributions as campaign finances)
Deny anyone ever naming a government building after him

There are real necessary consequences besides being the only Pres impeached twice. And i really think after his toadies fumbled the riot, the military will not start a whole new war over a tantrum.

But they must still impeach to:
End his pension of $200K
End his travel allowance of $1 mill
End his future political ambitions (including his ability to collect contributions as campaign finances)
Deny anyone ever naming a government building after him

There are real necessary consequences besides being the only Pres impeached twice. And i really think after his toadies fumbled the riot, the military will not start a whole new war over a tantrum.

Don't think that's right. He'd need to be removed from office for that to apply. With the Senate not reconvening until 1/19, he'd already be out of office if there's a Senate trial. On the very low chance he's convicted, nothing will really happen.

Of course it's important that leaders throughout the country go on record as condemning the criminal President, and GOP Congressmen should be forced to go on record. But a rushed impeachment is not the only way to do this. Aren't there more urgent needs over the next few weeks to rescue country and government from this Trump-induced cesspool?

Impeachment, even if done after he's out of office (along with a conviction) has the following effects:
1) Eliminates the presidential pension, which is a significant amount of money.
2) Makes the secret service detail no longer a requirement (it could still be granted by the SS or current administration, but it's not required)
3) It eliminates a few other perks that come from being a former president.

Most importantly, IMO, it sends a message that there is a line that is too far even for the GOP. If he isn't convicted, we're going to be looking at much, much worse, in an election cycle or two (three tops). If the traitor in chief isn't convicted, I will be looking to emigrate out of the US soon.

Impeachment, even if done after he's out of office (along with a conviction) has the following effects:
1) Eliminates the presidential pension, which is a significant amount of money.
2) Makes the secret service detail no longer a requirement (it could still be granted by the SS or current administration, but it's not required)
3) It eliminates a few other perks that come from being a former president.

Most importantly, IMO, it sends a message that there is a line that is too far even for the GOP. If he isn't convicted, we're going to be looking at much, much worse, in an election cycle or two (three tops). If the traitor in chief isn't convicted, I will be looking to emigrate out of the US soon.

No, no. To be denied the benefits of a former president, he would have had to be removed from office. He cannot be removed from office after 1/20.

Former_Presidents_Act

Something tells me that you cannot resign or reach the end of your term to avoid impeachment and everything following an impeachment.

Impeachment would mean that he can't hold a public office again. That's what matters to me. I don't much care about those other benefits given to former presidents. I am still uncertain if impeachment applies once someone is already out of office. They are certainly acting as though he can be impeached even after his term ends.

Impeachment would mean that he can't hold a public office again. That's what matters to me. I don't much care about those other benefits given to former presidents. I am still uncertain if impeachment applies once someone is already out of office. They are certainly acting as though he can be impeached even after his term ends.

Impeachment is political maneuvering, though people keep thinking of it as a felony trial.
All it has ever been is a review of the claim, "This man should not be president, now or ever, and this is why." And everyone says yea or nay on each 'this is.'

But, maybe he could find some constitutional scholar to argue otherwise. Obama seems to have some time right now...

Back
Top Bottom