• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Impeachment II thread

SLD

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker
It looks likely that, barring a Trump resignation, that the House will likely impeach Trump early next week, if not Monday. Thus Trump will be impeached for a second time. I think that’s a record. Someone should check. Maybe Trump will resign to stop it and allow Pence to pardon him. But I just don’t think that his ego will let him do that.

And it can be done quickly, despite what McConnell says. It doesn’t require 100% to vote in favor of doing it quickly. It just takes courage on the part of McConnell and there’s a lot of pressure on him to do it.

So how many Republicans will now vote for it? Romney and Murkowski for sure. And toomey just said he would and Sasse is open to it. Collins? Or does she think Trump’s finally learned his lesson? Others? They’ll need 16 to cross lines. Or for a whole bunch to absent themselves.

It looks likely that, barring a Trump resignation, that the House will likely impeach Trump early next week, if not Monday. Thus Trump will be impeached for a second time. I think that’s a record. Someone should check. Maybe Trump will resign to stop it and allow Pence to pardon him. But I just don’t think that his ego will let him do that.

And it can be done quickly, despite what McConnell says. It doesn’t require 100% to vote in favor of doing it quickly. It just takes courage on the part of McConnell and there’s a lot of pressure on him to do it.

So how many Republicans will now vote for it? Romney and Murkowski for sure. And toomey just said he would and Sasse is open to it. Collins? Or does she think Trump’s finally learned his lesson? Others? They’ll need 16 to cross lines. Or for a whole bunch to absent themselves.

If the senate trial is after the 20th does that mean the dems will have the majority so even if conviction fails in the senate a simple majority would allow the dems to vote to restrict trump from ever holding office again?

Schumer ssys thrry can actually convict after he's out of office. So they just write up the resolution that he loses the perks of retiring, listing salary, SS detail, travel budget, ever holding office by election or appointment, portrait, whsstever.

Schumer ssys thrry can actually convict after he's out of office. So they just write up the resolution that he loses the perks of retiring, listing salary, SS detail, travel budget, ever holding office by election or appointment, portrait, whsstever.

I guess he gets to keep the half billion or so that he has thus far wrung out of his gullible rubes.

Considering that new members of Congress and Senators are being sworn in, how does affect the impeachment proceedings, if at all?

I guess he gets to keep the half billion or so that he has thus far wrung out of his gullible rubes.
His lawyers will....
He will need so many lawyers...if only to protect him from his disbarred lawyers.

Considering that new members of Congress and Senators are being sworn in, how does affect the impeachment proceedings, if at all?
Do you solemnly swear to uphold the Constitution of the United States, and if so, yea or nay on the following articles of impeachment? If not, go stand in the Penalty box with Cruz, Hawley, them...

He must be impeached. If he isn't, it sets a very dangerous precedent for the country.
He needs to be impeached by both parties. With virtually only the Democrats taking a stand it again, it looks like politics. It isn't but the GOP is damned for their reaction to this.

He must be impeached. If he isn't, it sets a very dangerous precedent for the country.
He needs to be impeached by both parties. With virtually only the Democrats taking a stand it again, it looks like politics. It isn't but the GOP is damned for their reaction to this.

Impeachment still isn’t realistic, although I think it could happen quickly if McConnell wanted it. But the Republicans are still afraid of him. Physically afraid of his mob as well. So while the House will vote for it, the Senate will table it and then later say it’s pointless as he’s gone. Fine. As long as there is no pardon for his actions by a future President Pence. I expect him to resign an hour before the inauguration and Pence to pardon him, but I wonder if Pence would after Trump left him to face a lynch mob on his own. If so, Trump can face the full force of the law o his actions. Biden tweeted that no man is above the law. Let’s hope he doesn’t back down. And no cushy club fed for Trump either! Supermax his ass!

Impeachment still isn’t realistic, although I think it could happen quickly if McConnell wanted it. But the Republicans are still afraid of him. Physically afraid of his mob as well.
Isn't it interesting how McConnell insisted that the mob wouldn't impact how they did business in Congress relative to the Electoral Vote, but their fear of them is indeed indicating that McConnell et al. are ceding their policy and what not to these terrorists.

Impeachment still isn’t realistic, although I think it could happen quickly if McConnell wanted it.

McConnell has nothing - zero, zip, nada - to do with impeachment. It happens (will happen) in the House of Representatives where he has no voice, no seat, no say.
Once the impeachment has occurred, Dems can sit on it until well after they have taken control of the Senate before referring the then twice-impeached ex-president to the Senate for conviction.
It won't be pointless - it will deprive the bastard of ever being allowed to run for office again, take away his pension, his travel allowance and possibly even his secret service protection.

Impeachment still isn’t realistic, although I think it could happen quickly if McConnell wanted it.

McConnell has nothing - zero, zip, nada - to do with impeachment. It happens (will happen) in the House of Representatives where he has no voice, no seat, no say.
Once the impeachment has occurred, Dems can sit on it until well after they have taken control of the Senate before referring the then twice-impeached ex-president to the Senate for conviction.
It won't be pointless - it will deprive the bastard of ever being allowed to run for office again, take away his pension, his travel allowance and possibly even his secret service protection.

I think without his support he can delay it. When do the two Georgia Senators take over? But that may only leave Pence with a tie breaking vote on fast tracking this. Constitutionally though there’s nothing to stop them from impeaching today, and having the trial tomorrow. I just don’t think it likely.

But if they wait, they will need at least a third of Senate Republicans to favor it. Realistically McConnell could stop that.

I think without his support he can delay it. When do the two Georgia Senators take over?

They have to be seated by 1/22.

...there’s nothing to stop them from impeaching today, and having the trial tomorrow.

The plan is to re-impeach the fucker this week, then sit on it for 100 days or so, then send it to the Senate and try to convict him, to prevent his return to politics and strip him of pension and benefits.
I think it's a solid plan; a LOT will come out during that 100 days while the DOJ, CIA, FBI, NSA etc. investigate Trump's nefarious activities that have been hidden for four years. The very best that Trump can hope for is that they only find that a lot of evidence has been destroyed.

He could definitely do it if he wanted to. Remember he put in a SC justice in eight days.

Ain't gonna happen. Need 2/3 of both houses to deny him a second run. And can't stop his benefits if he wasn't removed from office. This is all for show.

The impeachment process is rather complicated.

First, the House must pass articles of impeachment. Essentially an indictment.

Then the Senate must do a trial. This will involve the House selecting impeachment managers to serve as prosecutors.

The first time Trump was impeached, Mitch McConnell saved Trump's hiney by blocking the trial. Will MMC try to save Trump's keister this time around?

It is worth doing even if Trump is not convicted. It is worth making him the only President to be reimpeached. His actions since the election have been seditious and they need to be seen as shocking. If he is convicted, it will be with the qualification that he can never run for office again, and that would be a huge benefit to the nation. This man needs to be humiliated and hobbled. He loves to call the FBI officials who looked into his Russia connections "traitors" -- well, let the nation look on Trump in that light. He loves to say there are "deep state" people who need long, long years in prison. Well, here's hopin'. What goes around, Donald. And of course, he's screeching that the Dems stole the election, when that is what he's been up to for a year now. He invited a howling mob to Washington and literally gave them their marching orders, hoping they would interfere with the work of Congress. That the mob then trashed the building and committed murder (and of course hoped to murder many more of their 'enemies') is right on Donald's doorstep. The GOP may even be secretly glad, on the whole, that Pelosi and her caucus are attempting to purge the country of the stink of Trump, because the GOP needs to be purged of him, too.
To not impeach -- regardless of the outcome -- is to say that this historically catastrophic act which has damaged our prestige for years and years (and led to multiple crimes besides sedition) does not deserve an equally commensurate response.

(Equally essential: that the GOP not make this business of fraudulently challenging elections into a habit.)

Back
Top Bottom