• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

In defence of Trump

The removal of Parler app from Apple app store, as well as AWS denying them hosting services, were of course superficially justified by breaches of TOU.
so, not 'a whim.'
But these companies have leeway in interpreting their terms and they could have just as easily decided differently. Just because something is legal, doesn't mean it should be done.
But still, moderation IAW the rules they agreed to follow foes not compare to discrimination by a whim.
(Although, Parler has sued Amazon for breach of contract and something might come out of that.)
willing to bet that Amazon dotted all their t's and crossed all their i's making sure they cpuld take action before they did. Probably had their lawyers looking into this for a while. Probably had lawyers write up the contract.
Parler seems to have been far more interested in the content than the business side. Subscriber data in a 'free trial' version of the app?

(Although, Parler has sued Amazon for breach of contract and something might come out of that.)

I don't believe everything I hear on the internet, so I could well be wrong.
But I heard that Parler's legal team booked. Parler might be trying to sue Amazon with the staff who used to answer phones and refill the copier.

Just sayin'
Parler isn't a major player, despite having a billionaire President as a member.
Tom

I don't believe everything I hear on the internet, so I could well be wrong.
But I heard that Parler's legal team booked. Parler might be trying to sue Amazon with the staff who used to answer phones and refill the copier.

Just sayin'
Parler isn't a major player, despite having a billionaire President as a member.
Tom

Parler CEO says the lawyers bailed:

“Every vendor from text message services to email providers to our lawyers all ditched us too on the same day,” Matze said today on Fox News.

so, not 'a whim.'
But still, moderation IAW the rules they agreed to follow foes not compare to discrimination by a whim.
willing to bet that Amazon dotted all their t's and crossed all their i's making sure they cpuld take action before they did. Probably had their lawyers looking into this for a while. Probably had lawyers write up the contract.
Parler seems to have been far more interested in the content than the business side. Subscriber data in a 'free trial' version of the app?

A Mercer vs. Bezos lawsuit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In response to the OP -(I haven't read the whole thread yet)

Disagree on many points other than Trump being from a different circle than most politicians = although I am sure their have been politicians from similar circles.

Saying the whole govt is corrupt is pretty lazy, and treating journalists as a monolith is even lazier.

The ones hammering him the hardest were the most honest of the bunch. The dumbest journalism of the last 4 years has been the "both sides" takes.

The US Democrats are not an outstanding bunch, no real strong leaders and a pretty milquetoast bunch overall, which inadvertently enabled Trump by way of being unable to hold him accountable. That was their one job.

Does the US govt need to be swept clean of shady dealing politicians? Yes

Was Trump the man to do it? lol

Here's my canary in the mineshaft to show liberal bias in the mainstream media

The Biden nominee for Justice Department Kristen Clarke was in the 90'ies a black supremacist and anti-semite. The below is a letter she wrote to the Harvard student newspaper.

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/1994/10/28/blacks-seek-an-end-to-abuse/

For the record, I'm cool with this. I see it as nothing but a youthful indiscretion. We have all been young and dumb. She won't be the first who held dumb ideas when young. I certainly had.

The reason I bring this up is because I think the Woke cancel culture has selective blindness to anybody black doing anything horrendous. While if a person is white, any minor indiscretion at any time in their lives means they should be banned for life from everything. I think the mainstream press will bury this story. They will pretend it didn't happen, and not mention it anywhere. I think the leftist media conspiracy will conspire to look the other way. Because regardless of what you think about this, it is newsworthy.

So let's see if this story ever makes it into mainstream press. My money is on that my newly popped popcorn will get cold, because this story will go nowhere. What do you guys think?

The reason I bring this up is because I think the Woke cancel culture has selective blindness to anybody black doing anything horrendous.
i mean i hate to keep saying this to you, because your posts are reasonable and i don't want to come across as attacking you, but like... this is a completely stupid assertion with no basis in reality.

bill cosby, kevin hart, tracey morgan, r. kelly, chris brown... do i really need to keep going?

also, do you have any remote shred of an idea how utterly stupid it is to cite that letter as evidence of the claim you're making?
that letter is clearly a response to a specific issue that was happening at the time regarding the truly racist bullshit of The Bell Curve and what white people tried to justify using that book. you ever heard of dramatic flourish? are you familiar with the idea of passionately turning a false narrative against your opponent? how do you not see this?

While if a person is white, any minor indiscretion at any time in their lives means they should be banned for life from everything.
jesus god damn pig fucking christ...

mel gibson, every republican literally ever, every corrupt CEO... fucking matthew broderick? white people get away with shit *all the time* for both past misdeeds and current bullshit.
do you have any conception of the level of national cultural shift that was required in the US for like 8 guys who had been serial raping people to just get blacklisted from continuing to get work in hollywood?
the notion that white people are overly scrutinized is literally a fantasy concocted out of nothing.

I think the mainstream press will bury this story. They will pretend it didn't happen, and not mention it anywhere. I think the leftist media conspiracy will conspire to look the other way. Because regardless of what you think about this, it is newsworthy.
BREAKING NEWS: in the 90s, a black college student wrote a strongly worded rebuttal to people using a repeatedly discredited piece of racist propaganda to try and justify treating blacks as inferior. we'll have more on this story as it develops.

no, this is not newsworthy. this is not anything.

So let's see if this story ever makes it into mainstream press. My money is on that my newly popped popcorn will get cold, because this story will go nowhere. What do you guys think?
i mean other than a steadily growing opinion that you must contain a pocket of absolute batshit insanity in your otherwise normally functioning brain from where you pull this malarkey, i think the face of everything in this post is complete rubbish.

every claim is demonstrably false on its face, and every conclusion is rationally incorrect. there's nothing here.

i mean i hate to keep saying this to you, because your posts are reasonable and i don't want to come across as attacking you, but like... this is a completely stupid assertion with no basis in reality.

bill cosby, kevin hart, tracey morgan, r. kelly, chris brown... do i really need to keep going?

If there's enough evidence, even the craziest people will have to acknowledge the crimes of media darlings. Besides, these are men, and when the #MeToo story became the prime narrative, gender became more important than race.

Woke culture is like any purity witch hunt, it will eventually turn on itself and eat it's own. The Nazis did it. All communists ever. All extremist evangelical churches. This is the same story repeated. The noose always gets tighter and tighter. Eventually no behaviour is above condemnation.

also, do you have any remote shred of an idea how utterly stupid it is to cite that letter as evidence of the claim you're making?
that letter is clearly a response to a specific issue that was happening at the time regarding the truly racist bullshit of The Bell Curve and what white people tried to justify using that book. you ever heard of dramatic flourish? are you familiar with the idea of passionately turning a false narrative against your opponent? how do you not see this?

What false narrative? The letter looks legit to me.

mel gibson, every republican literally ever, every corrupt CEO... fucking matthew broderick? white people get away with shit *all the time* for both past misdeeds and current bullshit.
do you have any conception of the level of national cultural shift that was required in the US for like 8 guys who had been serial raping people to just get blacklisted from continuing to get work in hollywood?
the notion that white people are overly scrutinized is literally a fantasy concocted out of nothing.

Kevin Spacey? Louis CK. The CEOs that were accused in MeToo are all gone from the industry. As far as google tells me.

What did matthew broderick do? Or Mel Gibson? I googled. I just got up complete bullshit.

Louis CK is a bizarre one. I remember when this thing happened and he was accused of exploiting the power he had as a super star over younger comedians. Recently it struck me what an idiotic accusation that is. He's a superstar. He only hangs out with other actors. What is he supposed to do, not have sex ever again? No matter who he has sex with it's going to be with someone who he has power over, because his position affords him immense power, just based on who he is. This demand on him is ludicrous. With the MeToo demands as they are now, there's no way for Louis CK to have sex and not commit some sort of sexual misconduct.

Here's somebody else who was nice enough to do the work for me.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/karlyn...when-men-are-falsely-accused/?sh=22279c20864d

I think the mainstream press will bury this story. They will pretend it didn't happen, and not mention it anywhere. I think the leftist media conspiracy will conspire to look the other way. Because regardless of what you think about this, it is newsworthy.
BREAKING NEWS: in the 90s, a black college student wrote a strongly worded rebuttal to people using a repeatedly discredited piece of racist propaganda to try and justify treating blacks as inferior. we'll have more on this story as it develops.

no, this is not newsworthy. this is not anything.

I think you are trying too hard to defend her. I think this should be juicy for journalists to run with. Everybody white and famous I know who has ever been caught on camera around neo-nazis have been pressed on it.

He's a superstar. He only hangs out with other actors.
That does not follow.

What is he supposed to do, not have sex ever again?

You call what he did "having sex"? That is an odd definition of "having sex".

No matter who he has sex with it's going to be with someone who he has power over,

Really? He couldn't have sex with a consenting a-list celebrity or a doctor or a high power lawyer or a professional athlete? There are superstar volleyballers that are very physically attractive. You are saying that he couldn't score with a peer so he had no choice but to jack off in front of novice comedians?

, there's no way for Louis CK to have sex and not commit some sort of sexual misconduct.

I'm sure I am not the only person that can think of ways for him to have sex without behaving as he did toward his juniors.

I'm trying to feel the arc of a very long thread here. Teh librul media made Trump popular and made it okay for Trump and many if not most Congressional Republicans plus dozens of state's attorneys general to promote lies about Dominion Voting systems with their Stop the Steal campaign that was propped up by crazy theories and such "expert" witnesses as JH Pulitzer and a janitor that they hyped up as a "Dominion Voting Systems Technician". Teh Librul media made this happen by always being too mean to Trump and not being fair to comedians and actors that were unable to have normal relationships with their peers but that instead had to do things like masturbate in front of interns. That fukin Carol Baskin.

That does not follow.

So he's supposed to go out of his way to only date women with which he has little or nothing in common with because why? Isn't it better to just accept that there will sometimes be power imbalances among people and not immediately assume malice.

You call what he did "having sex"? That is an odd definition of "having sex".

So people with odd kinks or turn ons shouldn't be allowed to have sex, nor ask women for consent? Remember that he asked all these women and they all consented.

Should we ban celebrity gays from propositioning people for sex as well?

No matter who he has sex with it's going to be with someone who he has power over,

Really? He couldn't have sex with a consenting a-list celebrity or a doctor or a high power lawyer or a professional athlete? There are superstar volleyballers that are very physically attractive. You are saying that he couldn't score with a peer so he had no choice but to jack off in front of novice comedians?

Just listen to yourself and how absurd you sound. Really? Is this the best you can do.

, there's no way for Louis CK to have sex and not commit some sort of sexual misconduct.

I'm sure I am not the only person that can think of ways for him to have sex without behaving as he did toward his juniors.

But only if he has a kind of sex you approve of?

So he's supposed to go out of his way to only date women with which he has little or nothing in common with because why? Isn't it better to just accept that there will sometimes be power imbalances among people and not immediately assume malice.

So people with odd kinks or turn ons shouldn't be allowed to have sex, nor ask women for consent? Remember that he asked all these women and they all consented.

Just listen to yourself and how absurd you sound. Really? Is this the best you can do.

Don’t have sex with subordinates. Not hard to figure out. I manage it. If you must it better be for real consentual .

DrZoidberg - option B is what you saw at the capitol. That was a racist mob. What do you think would have happened if they got hold of AOC for example? You think the left is over-reacting?

What you don't see is this stuff is inevitable if you just let it slide indefinitely.

Sure some voices are shrill, but to single them out because it's unfair to (not sure who) is just going to keep the status quo going, and the status quo almost went completely off the rails in the last few years.

"Cancel culture" is one of the dumbest timelines of the last 2 years. Trump enabled this nonsense and empowered a misogynistic and racist demographic in US society and what you are denouncing is the pushback.

People are right to pushback.

This pushback isn't happening in a vacuum. There are reasons people are upset. When a country elects a man who grabs-em-by-the-pussy because he's going to build a wall to keep the murderous brown people out, you are going to hear some people's opinion, and yes, some of it might even be angry.

Don’t have sex with subordinates. Not hard to figure out. I manage it. If you must it better be for real consentual .

They weren't his subordinates. They were, just like him, freelance comedians. Just guys hustling for jobs. But less experienced comedians who spent time with him because they admired him and looked up to him. It's not his fault they looked up to him to the point where they consented to things they later regretted.

So far your suggestion is that he only dates people equally famous as him. Must suck to be a famous comedian then since nearly all comedians are men. You have impossible standards. Your standards are framed in such a way that you always can persecute anybody famous simply because they are famous. They can do no right. That's fucked up IMHO.

The problem with being woke and having these absurdly high standards is that sooner or later people will grow tired of pretending this is sensible, and we will have a backlash. And rights for women will roll back decades. I think that's the inevitable result with continuing with this lunacy

DrZoidberg - option B is what you saw at the capitol. That was a racist mob. What do you think would have happened if they got hold of AOC for example? You think the left is over-reacting?

What you don't see is this stuff is inevitable if you just let it slide indefinitely.

Sure some voices are shrill, but to single them out because it's unfair to (not sure who) is just going to keep the status quo going, and the status quo almost went completely off the rails in the last few years.

"Cancel culture" is one of the dumbest timelines of the last 2 years. Trump enabled this nonsense and empowered a misogynistic and racist demographic in US society and what you are denouncing is the pushback.

People are right to pushback.

This pushback isn't happening in a vacuum. There are reasons people are upset. When a country elects a man who grabs-em-by-the-pussy because he's going to build a wall to keep the murderous brown people out, you are going to hear some people's opinion, and yes, some of it might even be angry.

This is black and white thinking. The fact that Trump is an awful human being doesn't make the liberals perfect little angels. No I don't think AFA is as bad as the MAGA/QAnnons. That's not my point.

I'm a liberal and I acknowledge that liberals have problems. Trump helped expose some of them.

So he's supposed to go out of his way to only date women with which he has little or nothing in common with

Non sequitur. He has peers. Surely he has interests besides standup comedy. He just needs to avoid subordinates/non-consent situations. I am a biologist. I haven't had sex with a biologist since graduate school. I have never called an intern into my office to watch me masturbate. I am married to a veterinarian. Old saying back home was don't shit where you eat and don't fuck where you work.

immediately assume malice.

Nope, not immediately or automatically assumed.

So people with odd kinks or turn ons shouldn't be allowed to have sex,

Another non sequitur. Nothing I have written implies such.

nor ask women for consent? Remember that he asked all these women and they all consented.
Because natural power balances exist you must recognize when consent may be coerced and avoid the situation. Since he didn't engage in the behavior with his peers but only with his subordinates I'd bet that he was well aware of the power dynamic involved.

Just listen to yourself and how absurd you sound.
Listen? My keyboard sounds quite normal going plunk plunk.

This consent thing shouldn't be so hard. No wonder you people love Trump so much.

Back
Top Bottom