• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Infinte Regress Timeline...

So you're saying that nature does not follow specific patterns exactly? In other words, fields are not propagated in specific ways, but instead nature sort of wings it and tosses stuff around willy nilly?

Perfect order was a religious invention that could not be observed anywhere when it was invented.

But can't I say that everything that nature does is perfect?

If there are any deviations to a perfectly symmetrical path of an object, it's because of external forces to the system.

So then who taught the first person that knew math?

Mathematics grows. We know this because it is still growing and expanding today.

But it grows from the mind of one genius to another. It doesn't grow on it's own.

One rare individual realized he or she could use a symbol to represent a quantity. And so on and so on.

There was no "first person" who knew math. There was the first person who invented a tiny bit, then a next who built upon it and invented more, and so on.

I have explained this many times.

The brain accepts an input from outside of the brain. The input triggers a process. The process is what we think.

This isn't an explanation of any kind. It is saying something magical happens.

What input from the outside are you talking about?

Point to it, if you think it is there.

Whether you like it or not, this is dualism.

If we invent Santa Clause does that somehow create a dualism?

Humans invent things that have no real world existence. Children do it all the time.

Sometimes these inventions have use, like numbers and mathematics.

Talking about dualism is an unnecessary distraction.

No, I keep saying that elements of our thoughts of numbers exist in the real world. Just like we have no idea what a banana actually is, I have no idea what these inputs into the brain are

I know a banana when I hold it, look at it, and eat it.

You can't know anything any better.

But what are these mystical "elements" you talk about? I know nothing about them.

How do you get from 3 coconuts to just plain 3 without a mental transformation?

You are assuming some kind of platonic realm. That's fine, but it's not science and there is no evidence of such a thing.

My position is anti-Platonic.

My position is that humans have an imagination and are capable of inventing things whole.

You offer no real argument to this position.

No, I don't think that humans only reflect the world.

Where in the world in the tooth fairy?

Perfect order was a religious invention that could not be observed anywhere when it was invented.

If there are any deviations to a perfectly symmetrical path of an object, it's because of external forces to the system.

If you arbitrarily define perfection as anything nature does of course you can say whatever nature does is perfect.

The key is, there are no perfectly symmetrical paths. All is interacting with all. Nothing exists in isolation.

Except in the human imagination.

Mathematics grows. We know this because it is still growing and expanding today.

But it grows from the mind of one genius to another. It doesn't grow on it's own.

One rare individual realized he or she could use a symbol to represent a quantity. And so on and so on.

There was no "first person" who knew math. There was the first person who invented a tiny bit, then a next who built upon it and invented more, and so on.

Everything that we think of, and everything we know is because of our environment. Our genes, nutrients, memories, education etc. is the environment that forms and influences thoughts. Neural networks are the "catalyst" or the "processor" for the environmental inputs.

I have explained this many times.

The brain accepts an input from outside of the brain. The input triggers a process. The process is what we think.

This isn't an explanation of any kind. It is saying something magical happens.

No, this is a very real and mechanical way to explain how it all works.

What input from the outside are you talking about?

Anything that affects the mind is an input: gravity, sound, light, temperature, radiation, etc. The more obvious influences are sound and photons.

Whether you like it or not, this is dualism.

If we invent Santa Clause does that somehow create a dualism?

Humans invent things that have no real world existence. Children do it all the time.

Sometimes these inventions have use, like numbers and mathematics.

Talking about dualism is an unnecessary distraction.

Please read, especially what I put in bold.

"In the philosophy of mind, dualism is the theory that the mental and the physical—or mind and body or mind and brain—are, in some sense, radically different kinds of thing. Because common sense tells us that there are physical bodies, and because there is intellectual pressure towards producing a unified view of the world, one could say that materialist monism is the ‘default option’. Discussion about dualism, therefore, tends to start from the assumption of the reality of the physical world, and then to consider arguments for why the mind cannot be treated as simply part of that world .

This is from, http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/dualism/ .

How can you tell me that what I put in bold is just a "distraction" from you saying, " Like abstract art it is a transformation of elements of the world, in a mind, into something not in the world".

No, I keep saying that elements of our thoughts of numbers exist in the real world. Just like we have no idea what a banana actually is, I have no idea what these inputs into the brain are

I know a banana when I hold it, look at it, and eat it.

You can't know anything any better.

This where you are completely wrong. You know your chemical reactions to the banana. Everything that you experience from a banana is just a faint echo of the actual banana. But, like my argument goes, there is an element that carries through to your experience of the banana. And like numbers, we know that the banana exists.

How do you get from 3 coconuts to just plain 3 without a mental transformation?

You are assuming some kind of platonic realm. That's fine, but it's not science and there is no evidence of such a thing.

My position is anti-Platonic.

I am talking about platonism with a lower case p.

No, I don't think that humans only reflect the world.

Where in the world in the tooth fairy?

She is out there, but she is not exactly what we think she is. She might be a watermelon growing out of a textbook.

Everything that we think of, and everything we know is because of our environment. Our genes, nutrients, memories, education etc. is the environment that forms and influences thoughts. Neural networks are the "catalyst" or the "processor" for the environmental inputs.

We know math because we were taught it. If we had to discover it, few would.

We live on the shoulders of thousands of years of human trial and error.

You simply focus on the small part that was successful, and ignore the greater part. The error.

By ignoring all the errors humans have made by observing nature and focusing only on one successful accomplishment, mathematics, you elevate nature to a place it does not belong.

Nature is not a thing sending us secret messages.

We know math because we were taught it. If we had to discover it, few would.

We live on the shoulders of thousands of years of human trial and error.

You simply focus on the small part that was successful, and ignore the greater part. The error.

By ignoring all the errors humans have made by observing nature and focusing only on one successful accomplishment, mathematics, you elevate nature to a place it does not belong.

Nature is not a thing sending us secret messages.

We are nature. What we do is what nature does; what nature does is what we do. You keep trying to make this dual quality of people and nature. Math is out there; nature does math through us.

We invented math which means that the universe invented math; deal with it.

We are nature. What we do is what nature does; what nature does is what we do. You keep trying to make this dual quality of people and nature. Math is out there; nature does math through us.

We can see. That doesn't mean all of nature see's.

We can think. That doesn't mean all of nature can think.

We can invent mathematics. That doesn't mean mathematics is a part of nature.

Your argument is not very good.

You need to provide a mechanism by which nature limits the minds of humans and forces those minds to think only of things in the world.

You have not come close to providing one.

If you arbitrarily define perfection as anything nature does of course you can say whatever nature does is perfect.

The key is, there are no perfectly symmetrical paths. All is interacting with all. Nothing exists in isolation.
The fact that something does not follow a straight line or a symmetric path does not indicate that the path which followed is not perfectly followed. Perfect interaction of forces, or an interaction which takes into account all forces, would of course result in a meandering path in some cases.

In fact, nature cannot do anything but take into account every force, so nature is perfect, although it is not perfect in the opinion of those who experience pain due to the position the perfect balance of forces puts them in.

Nature's perfection is not a blind perfection, nor is it a neutral perfection, it is a perfection that simply exists. Nature's perfection is not the perfection of the human consciousness until the time that humans are perfected and no longer destroy or even appear to destroy the joy of themselves and others.

There are more forces at play than the desires of humanity in the perfect balance of the universe. In fact, the desires of humanity cannot break symmetry with the other forces at play, they are part of that which becomes better as it remains perfect.

The fact that something does not follow a straight line or a symmetric path does not indicate that the path which followed is not perfectly followed. Perfect interaction of forces, or an interaction which takes into account all forces, would of course result in a meandering path in some cases.

In fact, nature cannot do anything but take into account every force, so nature is perfect, although it is not perfect in the opinion of those who experience pain due to the position the perfect balance of forces puts them in.

Nature's perfection is not a blind perfection, nor is it a neutral perfection, it is a perfection that simply exists. Nature's perfection is not the perfection of the human consciousness until the time that humans are perfected and no longer destroy or even appear to destroy the joy of themselves and others.

You are simply labeling the way things are as perfection.

Things are the way they are. Things move the way they move.

Perfection is a fable some apply to these facts.

We can see. That doesn't mean all of nature see's.

We can think. That doesn't mean all of nature can think.

I wish I could remember the speaker's name who said that when two people argue in areas like in the philosophy of science, they both end up taking their ideas to the extreme. I know that he is one of those mainstream scientists that seem to take the position as the "voice" for the state of science. Anyways, I found that very interesting and true.

As for your post, you are looking at the mind as some kind of a discrete domain in nature; they used to call this the homunculus. But as science gained knowledge of our biological processes, the homunculus was nowhere to be found. The more they looked, the more they saw typical organic material - nothing special.

Now my point, don't you ever wonder what it took to produce a specific thought? It actually took much of the universe, its entire history and anything else causally connected to it.

Doesn't the environment get any credit for helping produce the thought? At what boundary is it the brain that produces a thought and not the environment? Of course these questions are meaningless given what we know about complex systems.

Of course it does.

Your argument is not very good.

My argument is very vague because I was too tired to get into the details again.

You need to provide a mechanism by which nature limits the minds of humans and forces those minds to think only of things in the world.

You have not come close to providing one.

You are a person of science. Do you really think that thoughts can't be reduced to mechanical processes? I mean; what else can they be?

Last edited:
As for your post, you are looking at the mind as some kind of a discrete domain in nature;

I look at each individual mind as a discrete domain.

That is all that exists, individual minds, not "mind".

Now my point, don't you ever wonder what it took to produce a specific thought? It actually took much of the universe, its entire history and anything else causally connected to it.

Yes, the present is at the end of a chain of events. That is true for the cockroach and the man.

But it doesn't mean human thought must conform to the world beyond it.

You provide no reason it must.

Of course it does.

What I mean by nature is nature beyond human mathematics.

I know mathematics exists. Humans invented it.

But they didn't discover it. Mathematics is nowhere out there to be discovered.

If it is, where is it?

You are a person of science. Do you really think that thoughts can't be reduced to mechanical processes? I mean; what else can they be?

They are I suppose ultimately reduced to quantum mechanics, and frankly I don't what if anything that means in terms of a macroscopic event like brain activity.

I look at each individual mind as a discrete domain.

That is all that exists, individual minds, not "mind".

So exactly where do you think the environment ends and a mind begins? If you don't know, then we can just do a thought experiment assuming that we found that boundary.

Yes, the present is at the end of a chain of events. That is true for the cockroach and the man.

It is a result of the world before it. It is a continuation of processes. At least that's a realistic implication of how we understand the universe so far; I am not positive about anything.

What I mean by nature is nature beyond human mathematics.

I know mathematics exists. Humans invented it.

But they didn't discover it. Mathematics is nowhere out there to be discovered.

If it is, where is it?

Mathematics is just processes in nature interacting with our brains and through our brains. There is some of our brains in math, and there is some math in our brains. It's all interconnected into one incredibly complex system working by very simple rules.

They are I suppose ultimately reduced to quantum mechanics, and frankly I don't what if anything that means in terms of a macroscopic event like brain activity.

Except for a few new scientific findings, biological systems do not work quantum mechanically even though they arise from quantum mechanics.

Quantum mechanics is actually the only way that I could believe that our minds are capable of truly original thoughts, but they would probably be very minimal. The mind could probably receive some kind of random information in the form of nature "not working properly/mechanically (classically speaking)".

I would also be willing to go out on a limb and say that concepts of wholeness and simultaneity could actually come from quantum processes in the brain only because I have no idea where else they could come from and that QM shows properties of simultaneity and individual particles becoming a whole from entanglement.

You are simply labeling the way things are as perfection.
Nope. Perfection is a state of completeness and flawlessness. If someone reacts to every single force at play, they react perfectly (completely and flawlessly).

If someone leaves out the slightest bit, they do not react flawlessly.

So exactly where do you think the environment ends and a mind begins? If you don't know, then we can just do a thought experiment assuming that we found that boundary.

The brain is the boundary.

The brain does things like create colors whole, since color does not exist out in the world. It only exists in minds.

Colors are not a representation of the world. They are an arbitrary representation created by the brain.

Like numbers.

It is a result of the world before it. It is a continuation of processes. At least that's a realistic implication of how we understand the universe so far; I am not positive about anything.

When a person imagines Santa Clause that is the end result of a chain of events.

But being the end of a chain of events does not mean the imagined entity exists in the world beyond thoughts. All it means is the thought was the end of a chain of events.

Mathematics is just processes in nature interacting with our brains and through our brains. There is some of our brains in math, and there is some math in our brains. It's all interconnected into one incredibly complex system working by very simple rules.

There are no processes in nature doing geometry or calculus. Or providing instruction in either.

There is only the human invention of geometry and calculus.

Quantum mechanics is actually the only way that I could believe that our minds are capable of truly original thoughts, but they would probably be very minimal. The mind could probably receive some kind of random information in the form of nature "not working properly/mechanically (classically speaking)".

Dreams are filled with original thoughts.

Our brains seem to create them on their own. The problem is, most are not very helpful.

And you have not demonstrated quantum explanations are necessary.

The brain is the boundary.

The brain does things like create colors whole, since color does not exist out in the world. It only exists in minds.

Like numbers.
Yes, but I was saying that the whole process involves much more than just the brain.

When a person imagines Santa Clause that is the end result of a chain of events.

An end result is subjective. The thought of Santa is just an arbitrary part of the process. The thought of Santa has an effect on the universe.

But being the end of a chain of events does not mean the imagined entity exists in the world beyond thoughts. All it means is the thought was the end of a chain of events.

Again and again and again I try to tell you that it is a composition of processes in the brain and inputs that produce the thoughts like Santa or 3.

There are no processes in nature doing geometry or calculus. Or providing instruction in either.

There is only the human invention of geometry and calculus.

The thoughts of calculus and geometry are natural processes in the brain; they are nature.

Dreams are filled with original thoughts.

I have never had a dream that wasn't just a mix of memories.

And you have not demonstrated quantum explanations are necessary.

I know; that was me trying to think of a way that might cause the brain to have an original thought.

The moderation team has determined this thread doesn't belong in the "natural science" forum.
In case of disagreement or urge to comment, please remember that discussion of moderation belongs in private feedback, and is a TOU violation in the main fora.

Oh well.

I suppose this is a case where lesser minds get their way.

Where people who have nothing to add take from others.

This thread has nothing to do with pseudoscience.

It is a combination of science and philosophy.

At least it was. And a pretty good examination.

So I guess from the conclusion reached by the Mods there really isn't any science presented to prove the issue of history being infinite or not.
Am I right?
Which leads me to "is there any science that would prove infinite history or disprove infinite history?"...

Which leads me to "is there any science that would prove infinite history or disprove infinite history?"...
There is but it will take human beings an infinite amount of time to get there. We just have to wait an infinite amount of time. Undermeschen is not diagreeing with an infinite future. And once there, we will obviously have an infinite past. :p

The Mods were getting jittery that this thread might actually go on for ever. Me I thought it was taking them forever to do it.

Still, maybe philosophy would have been more fitting.
EB

So I guess from the conclusion reached by the Mods there really isn't any science presented to prove the issue of history being infinite or not.
Am I right?

Put it in science.

Back
Top Bottom