• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Inflation

The Tight Summer Jobs Market

Currently there is still two job openings for every unemployed person.
Immigration will allow 35k more temporary workers in to help with the problem, tamping down wages on the low end.
American kids don't want these jobs. They just want to sit around, smoke dope and excogitate about the fluidity of their gender.
There's about 50k applicants at the US/Mexico border awaiting their shot at the American dream. They are are all brown though so there is that. I'm given to believe they're willing to start at the bottom. This year. Next year they'll go after your bullshit financial advisor job.

One of the main drivers of inflation was the federal government pumping too much money into the economy.
No, it was supply. We had a supply crunch when demand started getting back to normal. Then we had a shipment crunch, not enough people to move everything. And now oil is through the roof making every involved more expensive.

The US Government didn't pump much money into the economy when one considers how much the economy deflated due to the pandemic. The Government was trying to keep things from being lower, not expanding faster.
The US government injected trillions into the economy during 2020 and 2021.

The government prints money, not goods and services.

One of the main drivers of inflation was the federal government pumping too much money into the economy.
No, it was supply. We had a supply crunch when demand started getting back to normal. Then we had a shipment crunch, not enough people to move everything. And now oil is through the roof making every involved more expensive.

The US Government didn't pump much money into the economy when one considers how much the economy deflated due to the pandemic. The Government was trying to keep things from being lower, not expanding faster.
The economy lost trillions.

Awkward housing market too. Today's economy has given me the confidence to declare I don't know a damn thing about the economy.

The Tight Summer Jobs Market

Currently there is still two job openings for every unemployed person.
Immigration will allow 35k more temporary workers in to help with the problem, tamping down wages on the low end.
American kids don't want these jobs. They just want to sit around, smoke dope and excogitate about the fluidity of their gender.
There's about 50k applicants at the US/Mexico border awaiting their shot at the American dream. They are are all brown though so there is that. I'm given to believe they're willing to start at the bottom. This year. Next year they'll go after your bullshit financial advisor job.
Ah, the age old "The kids these days...".

Awkward housing market too. Today's economy has given me the confidence to declare I don't know a damn thing about the economy.
We presume all things will be as they were, which is always a human folly. The economy is broad and interconnected. Inflation is occurring due to multiple factors that include high oil prices, supply issues, transportation issues, trying regain lost income issues, ie mainly it is oil supply (OPEC doesn't give a damn anymore) and echoes of the pandemic. Housing is high because supply dwindled during the pandemic, yet people still have occasion to move. Add to that private equity is buying more and more homes these days, and it snowballs there.

The economy probably isn't that bad, fundamentally. The trouble is oil is pressing hard on us, and without OPEC to fill in the immediate gap that isn't changing.

We presume all things will be as they were, which is always a human folly. The economy is broad and interconnected. Inflation is occurring due to multiple factors that include high oil prices, supply issues, transportation issues, trying regain lost income issues, ie mainly it is oil supply (OPEC doesn't give a damn anymore) and echoes of the pandemic. Housing is high because supply dwindled during the pandemic, yet people still have occasion to move. Add to that private equity is buying more and more homes these days, and it snowballs there.

The economy probably isn't that bad, fundamentally. The trouble is oil is pressing hard on us, and without OPEC to fill in the immediate gap that isn't changing.
Or US producers willing to fill that gap.
Some five years ago, "Wall St experts" were squeaking about how anything over $50 a barrel and US producers would swoop in. Now all I'm hearing is investors want US oil producers to "maintain capital discipline".
Despite high oil prices, capital discipline has held drilling and completion activity in check as most public operators have focused on paying down debt and returning cash to shareholders instead of growing shale oil production.
And more recently
As to why they weren't drilling more, oil executives blamed Wall Street. Nearly 60% cited "investor pressure to maintain capital discipline" as the primary reason oil companies weren't drilling more despite skyrocketing prices, according to the Dallas Fed survey.

I've got another term for "maintaining capital discipline".

Big oil producers went heavily in debt to finance dividends and stock buybacks (thereby raising share prices and executive bonuses). With interest rates likely to rise these companies, already heavily in debt, may not be eager to increase their debt load even to finance their ... gasp ... actual business.

You forgot to include oil company price gouging.

If there are jobs you can’t fill, you are not offering high enough wages.

It’s basic supply and demand. Gender fluidity has bugger all to do with it.

That does not make your statement 'The US Government didn't pump much money into the economy...' true. It printed 80% of dollars the US ever had over 22 months.

Big oil producers went heavily in debt to finance dividends and stock buybacks (thereby raising share prices and executive bonuses). With interest rates likely to rise these companies, already heavily in debt, may not be eager to increase their debt load even to finance their ... gasp ... actual business.
I still would like to see a measure that companies can pay interest or they can pay dividends, not both.

That does not make your statement 'The US Government didn't pump much money into the economy...' true. It printed 80% of dollars the US ever had over 22 months.

I'm afraid I will have to agree with Messrs. Derec and Metaphor here. Giving people extra dollars to spend while the pandemic gave them fewer goods to buy obviously tended to increase prices. This was exacerbated by the fact that stimulus checks reduced some people's incentive to work, further lowering the supply of goods and services.

This is not to say that the stimulus checks were the major reason for inflation, nor that they were necessarily ill-advised. The nation was faced with a severe crisis and excessive partisanship limited the options. It is unfortunate that one political party prefers electoral success over the welfare of the nation and therefore roots for an opposition President to fail.

If the inflation of 2021 subsides by 2023 it should have limited long-term impact. Unfortunately, chain reactions may give momentum to inflation. Raising interest rates will risk a fall in asset valuations, a credit crisis, and recession. I do not think there is any obviously correct policy path forward, especially given the fact of political gridlock.

I'm not sure about the U.S.G. "print[ing] 80% of dollars the US ever had over 22 months." In another thread we seem unable even to agree on the definitions of "dollars" or "money." :)

This is not to say that the stimulus checks were the major reason for inflation, nor that they were necessarily ill-advised.
The direct stimulus payments were the least of it though. Consider stimulus payments in conjunction with all the other programs, like the expanded unemployment benefits (that paid many people more than they would get going back to work, incentivizing not working), expanded child tax credit, rental assistance (in conjunction with the eviction moratorium) and the student loan freeze. That adds up to a lot of money flooding the economy.

And yes, when the economy was largely shut down most of these programs made sense, although some (like the unemployment benefit) were poorly designed. All of these programs were kept on way too long. That last direct stimulus check did not need to happen. The student loan freeze is inexplicably still going on even though payments and interest should have resumed a year ago at least.

The nation was faced with a severe crisis and excessive partisanship limited the options. It is unfortunate that one political party prefers electoral success over the welfare of the nation and therefore roots for an opposition President to fail.
That initial response was bipartisan, and hasty, which is why mistakes were made in how different programs were implemented. PPP has been plagued with a lot of fraud for example.

What US needs is a series of plans and programs that can be implemented quickly in an emergency. Military plans for every contingency. Our financial policies should also have contingency plans, so they do not have to be hastily designed as an emergency unfolds.

But as I said these plans were kept on too long, well after the economy reopened. That was a mistake that drove inflation higher than it would have been otherwise.

If the inflation of 2021 subsides by 2023 it should have limited long-term impact. Unfortunately, chain reactions may give momentum to inflation.
True. There is a lot of inertia when it comes to inflation because inflation expectation is itself a driver of inflation. If people expect high inflation, they will spend now rather than later and demand raises to compensate for expected inflation and both of these things increase inflation.

Raising interest rates will risk a fall in asset valuations, a credit crisis, and recession. I do not think there is any obviously correct policy path forward, especially given the fact of political gridlock.
Stagflation is the worst of both worlds, and I certainly do not envy Jarome Powell and the Fed right now. They need to calibrate interest rate increase carefully lest they trigger a recession.

I'm not sure about the U.S.G. "print[ing] 80% of dollars the US ever had over 22 months." In another thread we seem unable even to agree on the definitions of "dollars" or "money." :)
We certainly had a huge increase in M1 supply between April and May 2020 according to this chart. M2 increased less extremely, but it still increased quite a bit.

Last edited:
If there are jobs you can’t fill, you are not offering high enough wages.
Or there is too much incentive not to work.

It’s basic supply and demand.
It is. And US paid people an extra (i.e. in addition to regular unemployment) $15/h full time not to work. Of course people were not eager to work retail or food service jobs given such a sweet deal.

Or US producers willing to fill that gap.
The US producers are producing more than ever, well over 10 Mbbl/d. Most of it is from fracked shale wells, the boogeyman of the squady left.
oilgas.png

Some five years ago, "Wall St experts" were squeaking about how anything over $50 a barrel and US producers would swoop in. Now all I'm hearing is investors want US oil producers to "maintain capital discipline".
And they did swoop in. US increased oil production quite a bit since 5 years ago, only broken by the 2020 COVID collapse in demand.
But that also means that the most profitable plays are already producing and marginal cost for every additional bbl/d of production gets more and more expensive.
Add to that an administration that is not exactly friendly to oil and gas industries, and esp. fracking without which we could not be producing even half of the oil and gas we are producing. Note that it was Biden's former boss who, for purely political reasons, cancelled Dakota Access Pipeline permit after 95% of the pipeline had been completed already. What will Biden do when the next pipeline for fracked oil or gas is needed? He already killed Keystone XL, so we know he is not too pipeline friendly.

I've got another term for "maintaining capital discipline".
Believe it or not, oil companies are businesses, not charities. They are seeking profit in an uncertain political landscape. Biden is under a lot of pressure from his left flank to be even less friendly to oil and gas companies. Some on his left are demanding he kill DAPL even though it has successfully transported half a million bbl/d of light sweet crude for five years.
Nevertheless, fossil fuel companies greatly expanded US oil and gas production over the last 10-15 years thanks to the shale revolution/fracking. But that also means that the most easily accessible plays are already tapped in order to get to quite impressive ~12 Mbbl/d. Increasing it from that level is not easy, or cheap.

Last edited:
(OPEC doesn't give a damn anymore)
Is it that they are not giving a damn anymore or that they cannot easily increase supply in the short run?
Any projects have a lead time from commencement to start of production. And many projects were cancelled/delayed in 2020.
Add to that that as time goes on it will be more difficult to extract oil from the ground. Saudi Arabia in particular is relying on fields like Ghawar that have been producing for more than 70 years for most of its production.
It's not as easy as turning a spigot to produce more oil.

No, it was supply.
Things are rarely monocausal. It is both a supply crunch and the trillions pumped into the economy on the demand side.
You had more money (due to government injecting money) chasing fewer goods and services (due to shutdowns and lingering supply issues). The two reinforce each other. It's not an either/or.

The US government definitely did pump a lot of money into the economy.
And regardless of what the government was trying to do, they kept the pandemic largess going on too long (the student loan freeze is inexplicably still going on despite college graduate job market having recovered a long time ago!) with the result of inflation being higher than it had to be.

Back
Top Bottom