• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Iran bombardment of Israel - what are they thinking?

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
Iran’s unwelcome bombardment of Israel today seems a little shocking to me. They are coming out on the open with direct attack. I think a lot was intercepted, but that is a lot of bombing. Another wrong turn in this long series of wrong turns!

Much in the same way Trump bloviating about blackies eating dogs and cats isn't meant for you, you are not the Iranian government's target audience. This sabre rattling is a direct appeal to their base with the added benefit of winning the dick measuring contest they have with the Saudis. Pretending to give a fuck about a particular set of brown people ostensibly whilst promoting one's national brand is a time honoured tradition in the Middle East.

Much in the same way Trump bloviating about blackies eating dogs and cats isn't meant for you, you are not the Iranian government's target audience. This sabre rattling is a direct appeal to their base with the added benefit of winning the dick measuring contest they have with the Saudis. Pretending to give a fuck about a particular set of brown people ostensibly whilst promoting one's national brand is a time honoured tradition in the Middle East.
Add in that it makes the current US administration look impotent which not only helps with their local audience but their new "friends", Russia and China. If it also helps Trump get elected, that is an added bonus.

Iran’s unwelcome bombardment of Israel today seems a little shocking to me. They are coming out on the open with direct attack. I think a lot was intercepted, but that is a lot of bombing. Another wrong turn in this long series of wrong turns!
They are but they aren't. Iran has lobbed two large sorties of rockets towards to Israel... both were anticipated, both were absolute failures. The first one seemed more of a weak response to an attack against someone in their military. But this one seemed like a toothless aggression. One is left scratching their head to ponder "was it supposed to be such a flaccid response"? Yes, it was over a hundred rockets, but it was so easily scrubbed away. We assume Iran has better weapons.

Honestly, I'm uncertain what to make of Iran's response... or what the context even was of it. Certainly, it wasn't a good response. It had all the intelligence of Peter Griffin leaning over and farting.

Add in that it makes the current US administration look impotent which not only helps with their local audience but their new "friends", Russia and China. If it also helps Trump get elected, that is an added bonus.
Netanyahu is making the US look irrelevant, but the US is definitely in the minds of Iran as they haven't actually committed to a serious military response against Israel that resulted in any actual damage or death.

The US is far from irrelevant to Iran. How the U.S. is perceived by Russia and China is mostly irrelevant, except as an excuse for them to justify similar behavior. Given all that, we probably look like a server presenting a five-course feast to them—ripe and ready for acceptance. That's why Iran has typically relied on Hezbollah to engage Israel rather than launching direct attacks. This recent strike against Israel seems like a clear message to Israel to stay out of Lebanon.

I don’t think Iran really wants a full-on war with Israel right now. Imma break this down hood style: imagine you run a street gang, but your gang ain’t doing too hot right now. Your guns are ill maintained, ammo and money is low and even your own crew’s plotting behind your back. In other words you doing good but not ready for war. You’ve got this buffer zone between you and your ops, but you also got pull in another block on the other side of that buffer, which is right next to enemy turf. Now, your ops are beefing with that other block you support, so you step in by getting a friendly gang operating in the buffer zone to ride on your ops for you. Meanwhile, you’re trying to handle your money and keep your crew in line. Then outta nowhere, your ops roll into the buffer, start whooping your proxy gang’s ass. So, as a last-ditch move, you send your top wops in, hoping to roll directly into enemy territory, flex a tiny bit, and send a message to scare them off. all while knowing your enemy has the equivalent of the Italian mafia backing them up (USA) & your gang not being war ready will be in deep shit if the Mob decides to get involved. Baby steps my dude, baby steps.

Last edited:
They're Muslim. Therefore any violence aimed at civilians is "resistance".

From Gazans to Hezbollah to Iran, no amount of violence against those dirty Jews is too extreme. It will always be ignored and Israel will get the blame. Because when Muslims attack civilians and children it's resistance. When Israel fights back it's war crimes.

Check the news, this information is widely available.
Tom

Because when Muslims attack civilians and children it's resistance terrorism. When Israel fight back attacks civilians and children it’s war crimes.
:fixed"

Because that is how it is usually portrayed, and how it really is. Terrorism for one because they have no army, war crimes for the other because they do.

I don’t think Iran really wants a full-on war with Israel right now. Imma break this down hood style: imagine you run a street gang, but your gang ain’t doing too hot right now. Your guns are ill maintained, ammo and money is low and even your own crew’s plotting behind your back. In other words you doing good but not ready for war. You’ve got this buffer zone between you and your ops, but you also got pull in another block on the other side of that buffer, which is right next to enemy turf. Now, your ops are beefing with that other block you support, so you step in by getting a friendly gang operating in the buffer zone to ride on your ops for you. Meanwhile, you’re trying to handle your money and keep your crew in line. Then outta nowhere, your ops roll into the buffer, start whooping your proxy gang’s ass. So, as a last-ditch move, you send your top wops in, hoping to roll directly into enemy territory, flex a tiny bit, and send a message to scare them off. all while knowing your enemy has the equivalent of the Italian mafia backing them up (USA) & your gang not being war ready will be in deep shit if the Mob decides to get involved. Baby steps my dude, baby steps.
??? I think I'm going to have to get my mom to help translate here, if that's OK.

Also, about this “dirty Jews” bit: slurring as anti-Semitic those who disagree with Netanyahu and Israeli war policy is really disgusting.

You expected them to just ignore the killing of Hezbollah's leadership? Not likely.

But they probably knew the Iron Dome was unlikely to crack.

They are but they aren't. Iran has lobbed two large sorties of rockets towards to Israel... both were anticipated, both were absolute failures. The first one seemed more of a weak response to an attack against someone in their military. But this one seemed like a toothless aggression. One is left scratching their head to ponder "was it supposed to be such a flaccid response"? Yes, it was over a hundred rockets, but it was so easily scrubbed away. We assume Iran has better weapons.

Honestly, I'm uncertain what to make of Iran's response... or what the context even was of it. Certainly, it wasn't a good response. It had all the intelligence of Peter Griffin leaning over and farting.

I recall an earlier version of this was talked about as a “we have to show that we’re doinhg something to save face, but we’ll avoid escalation by having our effort be easily turned aside, with a wink and a nod that Israel nknows this is weak, we know it is weak, but the rest of the world doesn’t.”

But the situation nis so close to the edge on all sides.

??? I think I'm going to have to get my mom to help translate here, if that's OK.

Aaight aaight. How's about a friendly game of baseball?

I don't think the Red Sox are itching for a full-on showdown with the Yankees right now. Lemme break it down Fenway-style, keepin' it 100. Picture this: you're managing the Sox, but your team's kinda slumpin'. Your ace pitchers got dead arms, bats ain't slappin' like they should, and even your own clubhouse is teamin' with drama. In other words, you holdin' it down but ain't ready for no World Series.

You've got this minor league team straight tweaking on your rivals, but you also got pull with another squad on the flip side of that farm team, working Yankee territory. Now, because the Yankees are trippin' over the farm, you sneak in support for your team in the minors to throw some heat at dem damn Yankees. Ya heard?

Meanwhile, you're tryin' to balance the books and keep your locker room vibes tight. Then outta the ballpark, the Yankees roll into the minors, & start directly interfering with the league. So, as a downright dirty move, you send your starting devine nine on the field for the whole of training day, hopin' they’d back off after being hella trolled.

All while knowin' the Yankees got the MLBigwigs watchin' their back, and you’r entire franchise would be in deep shit if the Commissioner decides to step in.

Is that better?

Another example on choosing to make the wrong decision at the wrong time.
Will do nothing to lower the temperature in the ME furnace.
Wrong decision at the wrong time??

You're assuming Iran desires peace. Iran wants low grade war, not peace!

The impression I'm getting is not that it was easily scrubbed away, but that Israel took it's normal approach of analyzing the inbounds and only engaging the important ones. The Iranian weapons were inaccurate enough there was no reason to expend interceptors on most of them.

Because when Muslims attack civilians and children it's resistance terrorism. When Israel fight back attacks civilians and children it’s war crimes.
:fixed"

Because that is how it is usually portrayed, and how it really is. Terrorism for one because they have no army, war crimes for the other because they do.
And your evidence that Israel is attacking civilians? The problem is Hamas keeping civilians on the X. Look at what happened in Beirut--Hezbollah didn't keep people on the X, people saw that Hezbollah was asking to be smacked and they evacuated themselves. Four buildings flattened for apparently 11 dead that weren't Hezbollah command.

Back
Top Bottom