• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is a dwarf planet a planet?

Are dwarf planets a type of planet?

• No

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Like I’m gonna give a straight answer, ha!

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

fast

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Christian
I’m thinking the answer is no.

To put it another way, if you look at a dwarf planet, are you looking at a planet? There are reasons one could use to argue yes but I think in the end the arguments that will prevail will conclude no.

If I’m right and the answer is no, what does that say about the term itself?

'Planet' is too poorly defined. Originally meaning 'Wanderer', a planet was anything that wandered across the background stars. So by that definition, the Sun and the Moon are technically planets and, for a time, were called exactly that.

I’m thinking the answer is no.

To put it another way, if you look at a dwarf planet, are you looking at a planet? There are reasons one could use to argue yes but I think in the end the arguments that will prevail will conclude no.

If I’m right and the answer is no, what does that say about the term itself?

Well, ask yourself if a dwarf person is really a person and you'll have your answer. :)

Well, ask yourself if a dwarf person is really a person and you'll have your answer. :)

Does this mean that if we get drunk and toss dwarf planets at asteroids just for laughs, we're actually assholes?

What is a planet?

As to dwarf, I object to the term. It is offensive and hurtful to those on the low end of the human height spectrum.

How about the term 'objects in in orbit around the sun with groups by diameters. The term would be Orbiting Objects.

OO class 1
OO class 2....

Sub classes

OO1 comets
OO2 symmetrical objects in quasi circular orbit around the sun
OO3 moons

Humans like to categorize things and put everything in it's proper order. The boundary which separates one class from another, based on size, is always going to be arbitrary. If there was some observable physical trait that an orbiting body exhibited above or below a definite size, that would make a great way to say this one is a planet and this one is not.

As with all arguments of this type, the first question which must be settled is, "What difference does it make?"

Humans like to categorize things and put everything in it's proper order. The boundary which separates one class from another, based on size, is always going to be arbitrary. If there was some observable physical trait that an orbiting body exhibited above or below a definite size, that would make a great way to say this one is a planet and this one is not.

As with all arguments of this type, the first question which must be settled is, "What difference does it make?"
Being correct is a virtue unto itself. I can guide others when I am and be guided when I am not. Differences present need not always matter, but let us be correct about the differences there are.

Neil Degrasse Tyson says to “get over it.” Pluto is not a planet; it’s a dwarf planet. The implication is that dwarf planets are not planets, not smaller dwarf sized planets like the two-worded term suggests. The word “dwarf” isn’t an adjective in this instance but rather apart of a two-worded noun.

I’m okay with arbitrary truths. A truth need not be absolute. It’s not like contingent truths are any less true than necessary ones. That the definitions cited leading to Pluto’s downgrade were stipulative do not effect what’s regarded as truth arising out of how the scientific community understands the subject matter.

The only difference that I can see is that it makes it more simple to talk about the various wads of matter that orbit the sun. It saves having to describe in detail each time which wad of matter is being referred to if everyone agrees to the common labels. Just the single word, asteroid or comet saves having to give a full paragraph of explanation.

But then I kinda like the word, 'dwarf'. It is an interesting sound, sorta like what I think a hair-lipped dog would make when barking. :D

What it shows is that astronomers need to spend time out in the sun away from telescopes. Learn to relax and destress from all that think work.

Dwarf humans are called little people. Therefore dwarf planets are little planets.

If a dwarf planet has a moon shouldn't it be called a dwarf moon?

I still consider Pluto to be a planet. It is spherical, it orbits the sun, it has a moon of its own. There are probably more planets in the Oort cloud. Though planetoid may be a better term for objects under a certain size.

I still consider Pluto to be a planet. It is spherical, it orbits the sun, it has a moon of its own. There are probably more planets in the Oort cloud. Though planetoid may be a better term for objects under a certain size.

The question is were you upset at the change? If so, were you upset enough to join the internet lynch mob that attacked Neil Degrasse-Tyson? ;)

The question is were you upset at the change? If so, were you upset enough to join the internet lynch mob that attacked Neil Degrasse-Tyson? ;)

Nah, it's not something that warrants a lynching, be it proverbial or not. I'd say mildly irritated.

Nah, it's not something that warrants a lynching, be it proverbial or not. I'd say mildly irritated.

Hey, there is an upside. It saves grammar school students the agony of having to learn the names of, currently, five more planet names (in order of distance from the sun) and possibly as many as two hundred more in the future.

ETA:
Then there is the question of if Haumea and Makemake should be names for planets. For dwarf planets, those names don't seem quite as odd for some reason.

Last edited:

Hey, there is an upside. It saves grammar school students the agony of having to learn the names of, currently, five more planet names (in order of distance from the sun) and possibly as many as two hundred more in the future.

ETA:
Then there is the question of if Haumea and Makemake should be names for planets. For dwarf planets, those names don't seem quite as odd for some reason.

You’ve hit the nail on what I originally wanted this thread to be about. At its core, it’s an English language question. I suspect you know darn well that Pluto is not a planet nor will it be taught in school as such. It still flies in the hearts of many as a planet, and it’ll go down in history as being formally classified as such, but no formerly used definition of “planet” is going to alter how the term is used by the scientific community that ultimately will pave the way for how it’ll be introduced into the vernacular of the young.

I had hoped that in this forum there would be a few to fall prey to the misleading nature of the term “dwarf planet,” but being the forum it is, I also had hoped a resounding more to jump in and readily recognize the issue for what it really is: a disconnect in understanding on how to properly interpret nouns masquerading as adjectives.

When classifications are made, words ordinarily used as adjectives are incorporated into noun phrases to capture understanding and support recognition, but as I’ve eluded to many times, the etymology of single words within multi-worded terms only stand in testament to why they are originally coined; multi-worded terms are terms in their own right and can evolve.

There have been many examples to exemplify this. One in particular is “toy car.” From a grammatical standpoint, one might think because of how the words are strung together that a toy car is a type of car, but that’s nonsense; it’s a type of toy!

I don’t have time at the moment to pull from memory all the examples I’ve came across recently, but before I bring this post to a close, I do have an example of how such things come to occur.

A person loves boots and decides to open a boot store and decides to give the store a name and aptly calls it Boot Store. Apart of his product line are accessories—not just boots, but the name still fits well, as the inventory is mostly (substantially) boots.

Over time, the owner’s daughter, fascinated with belts, finds a way to get ole pop to sell them as well. The daughter takes interest in the business, and with an overwhelming demand for the popular belts in the local community, the sales of belts start to outweigh the sales of boots. As the business expands and boot sales become more a thing of the past, the name that used to fit really no longer captures the core product currently sold.

One location has not a single pair of boots for sale, but the brightly lit shiny sign out front still reads “Boot Store”. Suffice it to say, it’s not a boot store, but without a doubt, it’s still referred to as the Boot Store. In this example, the capital letters are a dead give-away from when I’m using the words as a proper noun or not, but there are many two-worded terms in the English language that act like and thus should be treated like proper names even though they don’t carry with it signifying capital letters.

Consider “logically possible.” Who capitalizes that? But, as most can attest, one cannot accurately glean it’s meaning by referring to the meaning of its individual words. The term has a meaning in its own right.

The term “planet” now has a stipulated meaning and no longer merely functions as being a product of collective usage. We cannot go back to definitions of old without falling victim to the etymological fallacy. Yes, the naming of Pluto as a ‘dwarf’ planet has to do with size, but “dwarf planet” too has a stipulated meaning. It should be thought of in the same light we see Boot Store, not in the same light we see boot store.

You must have been furious back in 1854, when the official number of planets fell from twenty-three down to eight. ;)

When classifications are made, words ordinarily used as adjectives are incorporated into noun phrases to capture understanding and support recognition, but as I’ve eluded to many times, the etymology of single words within multi-worded terms only stand in testament to why they are originally coined; multi-worded terms are terms in their own right and can evolve.

There have been many examples to exemplify this. One in particular is “toy car.” From a grammatical standpoint, one might think because of how the words are strung together that a toy car is a type of car, but that’s nonsense; it’s a type of toy!

That's an excellent explanation. Are these type usages essentially idioms?

You must have been furious back in 1854, when the official number of planets fell from twenty-three down to eight. ;)

It was a bad time in my life, for sure, no doubt about it.

Back
Top Bottom