• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is Crypto dying or just dropping for the moment?

Dude, blow it out your butt. One of the alleged selling points for crypto was traceable transactions. Criminals could not be able to hide trasactions and launder money. Opps, missed it on that one.

Peole have lost thoisands of daollrs in scams. So far crypto has shown no benifit at all, other than profits for a few.

Complexity in technology related to crypto currency is a serious hazard. Complexity in technology I know. Unforseen comsequnces.

Some people are emotionally addicted to technology and live on the fascination.

The value of crypto is only what somebody is willing to pay for it. Like Pet Rocks.

The Dutch tulip business​

From about the early 1600s to about the mid-18th century, the Dutch Republic's economic, business and financial systems were the most advanced and sophisticated ever seen in history.[18][19][20][21][22][23] In its Golden Age, the Dutch Republic was responsible for many pioneering innovations in economic, business and financial history of the world,[24] like the first well-recorded asset price bubble in history (in the 1630s), early stock market bubbles and crashes had their roots in socio-politico-economic activities of the 17th-century Dutch Republic (the birthplace of the world's first formal stock exchange and stock market),[25][21][26][27] the Dutch East India Company (the world's first formally listed public company) and the Dutch West India Company, in particular.

The introduction of the tulip to Europe is often questionably attributed to Ogier de Busbecq, the ambassador of Ferdinand I, Holy Roman Emperor, to the Sultan of Turkey, who sent the first tulip bulbs and seeds to Vienna in 1554 from the Ottoman Empire.[28][29] Tulip bulbs, along with other new plant life like potatoes, peppers, tomatoes and other vegetables, came to Europe in the 16th century.[30] These bulbs were soon distributed from Vienna to Augsburg, Antwerp and Amsterdam.[31] Their popularity and cultivation in the United Provinces (now the Netherlands)[32] is generally thought to have started in earnest around 1593 after the Southern Netherlandish botanist Carolus Clusius had taken up a post at the University of Leiden and established the hortus academicus.[33] He planted his collection of tulip bulbs and found that they were able to tolerate the harsher conditions of the Low Countries;[34] shortly thereafter, the tulip began to grow in popularity.[35]

The tulip was different from other flowers known to Europe at that time, because of its intense saturated petal colour. The appearance of the nonpareil tulip as a status symbol coincides with the rise of newly independent Holland's trade fortunes. No longer the Spanish Netherlands, its economic resources could now be channelled into commerce and the country embarked on its Golden Age. Amsterdam merchants were at the centre of the lucrative East Indies trade, where one voyage could yield profits of 400%.[36]
As a result, tulips rapidly became a coveted luxury item, and a profusion of varieties followed. They were classified in groups: the single-hued tulips of red, yellow, or white were known as Couleren; the multicolored Rosen (white streaks on a red or pink background); Violetten (white streaks on a purple or lilac background); and the rarest of all, the Bizarden (Bizarres), (yellow or white streaks on a red, brown or purple background).[37] The multicolour effects of intricate lines and flame-like streaks on the petals were vivid and spectacular, making the bulbs that produced these even more exotic-looking plants highly sought-after. It is now known that this effect is due to the bulbs being infected with a type of tulip-specific mosaic virus, known as the "tulip breaking virus", so called because it "breaks" the one petal colour into two or more.[38][39]

Growers named their new varieties with exalted titles. Many early forms were prefixed Admirael ("admiral"), often combined with the growers' names: Admirael van der Eijck, for example, was perhaps the most highly regarded of about fifty so named. Generael ("general") was another prefix used for around thirty varieties. Later varieties were given even more extravagant names, derived from Alexander the Great or Scipio, or even "Admiral of Admirals" and "General of Generals". Naming could be haphazard and varieties highly variable in quality.[40] Most of these varieties have now died out.[41]

Naw, the value of crypto wasn't necessarily traceability so much as validation of payment: you can prove you paid, you can prove you were paid, but beyond that, "the selling point" of certain cryptocurrency models was "no tracking".

Nobody asked you to buy in so I don't understand why you think anyone needed to be sold on it.

People invented the number system, people traded on the basis of the number system people seek systematic determination of ownership of numbers within the system.

Anyone who didn't see the utility of token you could exchange online without bank or government involvement wasn't thinking about this clearly.

At any rate, BTC<>XMR atomic swaps are a thing now, and that can't be shut down without shutting down every exchange.

As we continue with the reporting on whether Crypto is dying or not, Bitcoin has continued to plummet. Still, over $23,000 per coin, but nearing only a third of what it peaked at in November 2021. Most of the other cryptos have crashed and burned, losing what little money ever existed in them.

We might be seeing the death of the imaginary currency version of the Pet Rock.

Or it could be worth $70,000 tomorrow.

As we continue with the reporting on whether Crypto is dying or not, Bitcoin has continued to plummet. Still, over $23,000 per coin, but nearing only a third of what it peaked at in November 2021. Most of the other cryptos have crashed and burned, losing what little money ever existed in them.

We might be seeing the death of the imaginary currency version of the Pet Rock.

Or it could be worth $70,000 tomorrow.
I'll note, you should compare the value of Bitcoin recently to the value of Monero.

Bitcoin is in free fall and somehow Monero has retained a significant portion of it's value.

I wonder why...

it's because Monero is the internal virtual currency for the drug trade.

Alchemists spent a lot more timein turning lead to gold than crypto currency has been around. So crypto will not die for a long time, if at all.

Alchemists spent a lot more timein turning lead to gold than crypto currency has been around. So crypto will not die for a long time, if at all.
Well, that and people need a currency that they can trade in, somehow, that allows them to have verifiable, but untraceable transactions online.

It was an interesting problem insofar as developing something that functioned like cash transactions but did so on the internet.

Bitcoin is going to crash and burn, though.

I think the biggest issue is that, in many respects, the government needs to provision for large-scale extralegal economies, and such economies will stop dealing in cash as much as they are able because cash is stupid and it's the 21st goddamn century so let's fucking bank like it!

If governments want to keep being able to tax the flow of such dollars through their laundry fronts, they will accept the existence of economic surfaces to crypto markets that support privacy and not interfere too heavily.

We might be in the Great Depression or Housing Crash of '08 for crypto at this point. Without FDIC and Celsius pausing withdrawals, there could be "billions" in lost assets as the Ponzi scheme that is crypto and Celsius might have just popped. As long as Crypto kept increasing, things were good.

Things were looking great. But the second the banking or quasi-banking company you business with says they can't pay you, that is a red flag of insolvency.
Celsius said:
Acting in the interest of our community is our top priority. In service of that commitment and to adhere to our risk management framework, we have activated a clause in our Terms of Use that will allow for this process to take place. Celsius has valuable assets and we are working diligently to meet our obligations.
To be able to make certain you get your money, we aren't giving you your money. The company took deposits of other people's Bitcoin, paid ridiculous interest rates on it that scream "SCAM!!!!", and now with Bitcoin at nearly a third of what it was, and them likely having little actual capitol... oh boy! So maybe this isn't exactly the death of crypto, but it should be the death of unregulated banks for funny money as when Celsius runs for the border to a nation with no extradition treaty, those bitcoins and crypto cease to exist. And I'm certain there will be lawsuits... but the people that gave their bitcoin and crypto, are fucked.

Every time there's been a crash like this I've thought that surely they must have run out of greater fools to scam, but the cycle always seems to repeat. I think what's happening is that newly minted college graduates who have a disposable income for the first time and believe themselves to be much more savvy than the last group start driving it up (see this article, for example) The bubble inevitably once again bursts and they lose everything, but there is a replacement set in a few years to make the same mistakes. It may never end.

Every time there's been a crash like this I've thought that surely they must have run out of greater fools to scam, but the cycle always seems to repeat. I think what's happening is that newly minted college graduates who have a disposable income for the first time and believe themselves to be much more savvy than the last group start driving it up (see this article, for example) The bubble inevitably once again bursts and they lose everything, but there is a replacement set in a few years to make the same mistakes. It may never end.
So you’re saying invest for the long term?

Uh...no.

Yes, if you're investing in a cryptocurrency which has viability for black market use.

At some point there will be a stabilization where the only people who remain are the ones with an actual use for the currency.

Granted buying in now is kinda dumb.

Yes, if you're investing in a cryptocurrency which has viability for black market use.

At some point there will be a stabilization where the only people who remain are the ones with an actual use for the currency.

Are you sure? I just looked and bitcoin-US is down 15% today. But I wouldn’t buy and hold unless I was filthy rich.
It will likely follow the Game Stop curve form … comes out of nowhere and shoots up to the sky, goes up and down dramatically as if to attract attention while theres a long, slow inexorable decay in value. But as long as there’s lots of ups and down there will still be players.

I believe at least some people are becoming marginally smarter with their money and avoiding speculation / putting their money in robos. But I doubt there are many who understand that markets can't fly into the sky, so they keep dumping money into growth portfolios no matter how over-valued markets are.

The amount of misinformation I come across on platforms like Instagram is alarming, over-simplified memes that convince people if they put 100 dollars per week away they'll be millionaires in retirement. For people who aren't savvy enough to do their homework riding the wave is likely the way to go, but consistently buying stock no matter what the price is, isn't strictly rational behavior, and I'm guessing plays a part in why the market has been so cyclical recently.

Last edited:

Are you sure? I just looked and bitcoin-US is down 15% today. But I wouldn’t buy and hold unless I was filthy rich.
It will likely follow the Game Stop curve form … comes out of nowhere and shoots up to the sky, goes up and down dramatically as if to attract attention while theres a long, slow inexorable decay in value. But as long as there’s lots of ups and down there will still be players.
I'm not talking about bitcoins particularly. Those are on the way out. There will be a normal coin and blockchain or two that survives all this, maybe ETH maybe not, and then at least one "privacy coin", probably XMR.

Everything else will burn.

Problem with this crypto-crap is that a lot of rich and powerful people invested in that crap and they will keep it alive by buying politicians.

Problem with this crypto-crap is that a lot of rich and powerful people invested in that crap and they will keep it alive by buying politicians.
Except the funny money banks that have them are dissolving, along with the crypto deposits made to them.

Except the funny money banks
I was under impression that crypto-crap was immune to that in principle.
I mean that was the whole idea behind it.
Umm... no. They were paying 15 to 20% interest for crypto deposits. Once those deposits are in, you need to get it back out.

Luckily Celsius is keeping everyone apprised of the situation.

Info? Their depositors don't need "info", they want their funny money back. Working quickly... on alchemist schemes likely. But we've seen this with the Great Depression and the S&L scandal. And now, it is the DeFi Scandal. It worked so well, until Bitcoin stopped growing, as most of these needless finance scandals do.

Funny how the unregulated angle of bitcoin was a selling point... and yet, it is the unregulated angle that killed it.

Except the funny money banks
I was under impression that crypto-crap was immune to that in principle.
I mean that was the whole idea behind it.
Well there was a scheme in the 1920s that was (in principle) immune to downturns in the market. That was the entire basis of Mr Ponzi’s investment program.

Not to be immune, but to give investors that impression.

Back
Top Bottom