• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is it time for us to start eating insects?

Its hard to argue with the science. From a nutritional standpoint, humans would live longer and be far better off eating insects compared to consuming the pesticides used by farmers to kill them.

It is all what you are used to. But I still say the best solution is just fewer humans trying to live on a planet with finite resources. And as it currently is, humans still have an option to eat bugs during an ultimate "shit hit the fan" scenario. Because if we are already used to consuming bugs, where else can you go from there?

See "The Donner Party", not to be confused with "dinner party".

I have no objection to insect-based food. It's just that I don't see the point yet. I'd like to see some firm evidence that insect meat production is less taxing to the environment than equivalent other meat production. Until then, it's just a curiosity for foodies.

I have no objection to insect-based food. It's just that I don't see the point yet. I'd like to see some firm evidence that insect meat production is less taxing to the environment than equivalent other meat production. Until then, it's just a curiosity for foodies.

Production? I just see them crawling around.

The peoples of the southern part of the Great Rift Valley have been eating Kunga for centuries. It's a local delicacy, made from the compressed mass of millions of midges that swarm over Lake Nyasa and the Ugandan side of Lake Victoria. When the swarms are blown ashore, the villagers race to capture the insects, using everything from skillets coated in oil, to fine-mesh nets. The midges are then pressed into patties for consumption.

The peoples of the southern part of the Great Rift Valley have been eating Kunga for centuries. It's a local delicacy, made from the compressed mass of millions of midges that swarm over Lake Nyasa and the Ugandan side of Lake Victoria. When the swarms are blown ashore, the villagers race to capture the insects, using everything from skillets coated in oil, to fine-mesh nets. The midges are then pressed into patties for consumption.

How insensitive. They prefer to be called "little people" now.

Oh, you said "midges". My bad.

If the scientists can turn plants into beef (or something that tastes like beef), why not also insects?

We get midges come in off Lake Erie. They invaded a baseball playoff game once (2007 ALDS Game 2) and played for the Indians. I remember the Indians pitcher, Fausto Carmona unfazed, pitching right through them but Joba Chamberlain didn't do so well.

If the scientists can turn plants into beef (or something that tastes like beef), why not also insects?

If cows can turn plants into beef, it should be a doddle for scientists. When did you last see a cow with an advanced degree?

I don't think the insects are smart enough though.

Back
Top Bottom