• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is mental illness increasing (along with secular atheism)?

What's been the major change in the past twenty years? I'll give you one guess.

It's a lot easier to feel anxious when you can, in a single day, learn of every single shitty thing happening on the planet.

It's telling that most people believe the world is becoming more violent, when we live in one of the safest times in history. What's changed is that we can actually see our own violent nature in real time, rather than being confined to our child-hood street.
I completely agree with you on this. The information age has its downfalls and sometimes ignorance really is bliss.

That and a RIDICULOUS amount of TESTING pressure on kids in school these days. The need to be the BEST at everything or you're going to end up a miserable failure (and even your best may not save you from that fate) also weighs heavy on the minds of young people.

Yeah, well, thing is, depression goes up because people are living older and older but not in a very happy state. People live longer but not healthier. In my parents' generation, bad lifestyle meant early death so the good souls would get to prevail statistically among the survivors. Nowadays, we managed somehow to keep going way past the sell-by date of our brains and depression comes quick. Obviously, it's the whole society that's gearing towards this very end. Migrants have to take all the jobs in our retirement homes because we are all too old to do it! We spend too much time in the toilets! It's a vicious, vicious circle. Even women are getting their children older and older. This is the one main contributing factor. Children are born older and older. And like in old people, the older you get is the cause of this increase in depression. And if you're a bright kid and you're depressed, it doesn't help that people won't let you build that beautiful wall. And everything you do try, they stomp their foot on it and you know you now look like an idiot and it makes you feel even more depressed. I would say, though, try more exercise. It's like untermensche says although with the kids we've got today you'd be better advised to start gently. Kids are not exercising enough. It's now generally accepted that regular exercise helps. I would also say food, which is why this diagram above showing the correlation between science and depression is correct. Science somehow led to more sugar in our diet. Not just a little bit but, like, an atomic bomb of sugar in our body, and the atomic bomb is definitely big budget science so the correlation has to be true. It also looks like the ski slope I did age eleven in the Pyrénées. And the curve showing the level of sugar in our scientifically determined diet. No coincidence that. Also, increased exposure to social media. The diagram above shows the number of connexions to the Internet, with a slight drop in 2003 because of the war on Iraq because some of the guys installing the connexions had to go in the military. Kids nowadays are made to be aware of how inadequate they are like nothing it was in my time. They haven't a chance in the world and they know it. They become angry and cynical. Depressed and suicidal. And they look at Trump on the screen and there's a blank that fills their minds. The curve shows the correlation between depression in kids and the lies by politicos. It is depressing. I exercise so I'm Ok but I do understand how you must feel already aged ten the day you're born into this world and you look at Trump on the screen.
EB
You're right about proper eating and physical activity, but those things take effort. People just want pills, pills, pills.
Oh come on. NO they don't - especially when you're talking about anxiety and depression in our adolescents.

- - - Updated - - -

Evidence of this? I don't know a depressed or anxious person alive that wouldn't give ANYTHING to have it go away.
Folks,

I don't see mental illness as a lifestyle choice. There are those that do.

A.

Actually, no it really doesn't. I get that fraud exists, but I don't think this is why anxiety and depression is on an increase (especially in our youth population).
Disability pays.

Until we can sort out overdiagnosis from reality there's no way to know if it's actually increasing.

Probably an American thing. In Canada, suicide rates have dropped back to about where they were back in the 1950s

11696-02-chart1-eng.gif

My first thoughts would be to blame guns and a lack of access to proper health care.

Also, the highest rates of suicide are from those between 40 and 60. As life expectancy increases, there's more of those around who can then choose to not be around anymore. That's combined with married people being less likely to commit suicide, so the higher rates of divorce put more people into a more at-risk category.

The suppossed increase is not in chronic depression, but merely in the % of adolscents who report a single "major depressive episode" in the last 12 months. What does that mean? Well, it can mean as little as a teenager saying in a survey that they experienced the following over a 2 weeks period:

[P]feeling irritable, diminished interest in activities, fatigue, indecisiveness, weight loss or gain without intentional dieting
[/P]

There has not been an increase in teens getting treatment for diagnosed clinical depression, suggesting that these additional "episodes" are rather minor and not part of a serious chronic mental illness.

It is also worth noting that there has not been a similar increase in these depressive episodes among young adults, only for teens.

So, this could be much ado about nothing and most a byproduct of teens becoming more comfortable admitting to negative emotions. But another thing I noticed in the actual research paper is that among teens only, the % of those reporting these episodes who also have a substance use disorder for drugs other than alcohol or marijuana has jumped from 24% to 39%.

Most of those "other drugs" among teens are likely to be the increasingly popular synthetic club drugs, like spice and bath salts which can create symptoms that mimic some of those in "major depressive disorder".

Yeah, well, thing is, depression goes up because people are living older and older but not in a very happy state. People live longer but not healthier. In my parents' generation, bad lifestyle meant early death so the good souls would get to prevail statistically among the survivors. Nowadays, we managed somehow to keep going way past the sell-by date of our brains and depression comes quick. Obviously, it's the whole society that's gearing towards this very end. Migrants have to take all the jobs in our retirement homes because we are all too old to do it! We spend too much time in the toilets! It's a vicious, vicious circle. Even women are getting their children older and older. This is the one main contributing factor. Children are born older and older. And like in old people, the older you get is the cause of this increase in depression. And if you're a bright kid and you're depressed, it doesn't help that people won't let you build that beautiful wall. And everything you do try, they stomp their foot on it and you know you now look like an idiot and it makes you feel even more depressed. I would say, though, try more exercise. It's like untermensche says although with the kids we've got today you'd be better advised to start gently. Kids are not exercising enough. It's now generally accepted that regular exercise helps. I would also say food, which is why this diagram above showing the correlation between science and depression is correct. Science somehow led to more sugar in our diet. Not just a little bit but, like, an atomic bomb of sugar in our body, and the atomic bomb is definitely big budget science so the correlation has to be true. It also looks like the ski slope I did age eleven in the Pyrénées. And the curve showing the level of sugar in our scientifically determined diet. No coincidence that. Also, increased exposure to social media. The diagram above shows the number of connexions to the Internet, with a slight drop in 2003 because of the war on Iraq because some of the guys installing the connexions had to go in the military. Kids nowadays are made to be aware of how inadequate they are like nothing it was in my time. They haven't a chance in the world and they know it. They become angry and cynical. Depressed and suicidal. And they look at Trump on the screen and there's a blank that fills their minds. The curve shows the correlation between depression in kids and the lies by politicos. It is depressing. I exercise so I'm Ok but I do understand how you must feel already aged ten the day you're born into this world and you look at Trump on the screen.
EB

I think depression is on the rise because of the world shortage of paragraph breaks.

That wall of text is somehow fitting to the content.

I agree, our high tech information entertainment overload culture has consequences as we struggle to adapt to a world that is changing fast, constantly talking at us, and everything seemingly connected to everything else.

Thing is, when religion doesn't deliver on its promises, people will look elsewhere for relief of real suffering. They may not ever look elsewhere for any other reason, but personal pain is a much more powerful driver than ideological identity when an effective but "unauthorized" therapy is available. This is why so many "the bible contains all we need to know in our daily lives" types often rely on psychology and science and medicine - the real world where their real bodies experience real pain and they want real relief, not "God means for you to learn from this" or whatever other horseshit is used to excuse a magical God for being too callous or powerless to help with real pain. (After the fact, when the pain has diminished, then of course it was all due to Jesus magic the whole time, but when the pain returns, the willingness to look outside of religion for real world relief returns as well.) There's a few hardcore believers who allow themselves or their children to die for ideological correctness, but those are rare. Most religious people just don't mention in church that they got relief from some godless hippie or arrogant scientist instead of the magical authority, that's all.

Evidence of this? I don't know a depressed or anxious person alive that wouldn't give ANYTHING to have it go away.
Folks,

I don't see mental illness as a lifestyle choice. There are those that do.

A.

Playball and folks,

I have just realised that my own words quoted above were a total mis-expression of what I had meant to say.

I meant to say that there are some people who see mental illness as a lifestyle choice - the doubters. Those who suffer mental illness have most certainly not chosen this as a lifestyle choice! I rarely make such a grammatical mistake, but it has happened. :eek::(

Sorry.

Alex.

Please put down the quote tags, turn off the internet, and step out of your chair with your hands up... [/GammarPolice]

Playball and folks,

I have just realised that my own words quoted above were a total mis-expression of what I had meant to say.

I meant to say that there are some people who see mental illness as a lifestyle choice - the doubters. Those who suffer mental illness have most certainly not chosen this as a lifestyle choice! I rarely make such a grammatical mistake, but it has happened. :eek::(

Sorry.

Alex.

Sure, but that is a bit of a tautology. If something is a "mental illness" then it is something that happens to the person beyond their control/choice. But it isn't clear that most of what the OP is referring to qualifies as a mental illness, and could be forms of self-reinforced negative affect that is under people's control, or at least are learned patterns of responding that they could control.

Basically, clinically diagnosed chronic depression can be a mental illness, but self-reporting the symptoms that qualify as having had an MDE is not a reliable index that one has such a mental illness.

Sure, but that is a bit of a tautology. If something is a "mental illness" then it is something that happens to the person beyond their control/choice. But it isn't clear that most of what the OP is referring to qualifies as a mental illness, and could be forms of self-reinforced negative affect that is under people's control, or at least are learned patterns of responding that they could control.

Basically, clinically diagnosed chronic depression can be a mental illness, but self-reporting the symptoms that qualify as having had an MDE is not a reliable index that one has such a mental illness.

ron,

I'm back on firm ground.

IMHO medical professionals are not fools, and they will know what they are looking at. Whilst they will take serious account of any and all of a sufferer's self reporting, there are many other markers in body language, behaviour and attitude that are quite obvious when you've seen enough of it.

I worked with mental health sufferers for several years, as part of my teaching job with adults. I don't remember a case of a person referred to the courses in error. Towards the end of the job, I could tell an ill person just by seeing them walk in the door and sit down. A depressed, anxious, obsessive, bulimic or anorexic person was ill in plain sight in front of me. I'm sure that psych docs have developed much better skills.

Also, I'm still working as a mod and helper on a mental health support forum. In that media there are only written words to go on. It is remarkable how similar the patterns of reporting are, and how clear it is what is dominant in the posters thinking. Another thing that's happened is meeting posters in 3d, if they happen to live near enough and want to come to a relaxation class. On such few occasions I have been saddened by how unwell those people were, despite having kept up a better impression online. I think this is a very common phenomenon.

Finally, the real danger is failing to take reports seriously enough. I have personally known two young people who committed suicide, both under the age of 25. Once that has happened it is too late.

Alex.

There's a Startling Increase in Major Depression Among Teens in the U.S.

A 37 percent increase says;
http://time.com/4572593/increase-depression-teens-teenage-mental-health/

This information won’t come as a surprise to school counselors and clinicians who’ve seen a rise in depression, anxiety and related incidents of self-harm first hand, as reported in TIME’s Nov. 7th cover story “The Kids Are Not All Right.”

Why is the mental health burden in Emergency Departments rising?

Asks Clinical Psychiatry News
http://www.mdedge.com/clinicalpsych...anagement/why-mental-health-burden-eds-rising

I thought the ridiculous increase was all about money (probably was) but the new generation's escalation is mostly because of electronic devices and the culture that comes with them. So the teen depression of today is an actual epidemic. Past generations (previous few) were driven to depression through trickery and even poisoning. Now you don't have to brainwash someone or poison their shower water to make them depressed, because something as simple as a phone can do the work for you.

I don't know where your thread's meaning falls into this, but depressed teens only have to look around to think that there is no God, and if there is one, it is very cruel. Also you need to look at what they were raised on and compare it to your own experience. Their impression of God is perverted. Their childhoods must be surreal as they grow up with this transforming tech molding their minds. That is really the only God they know. Another thousand like this and they'll be born with built in wifi and a spiritual instinct for hentai. Personal tech moved very slow in my childhood, compared to how things go today. I can barely imagine how they feel. God is sort of a joke when you have the capabilities of an iPhone 7 and steady wifi. I had a dumbass house phone and HBO, so God seemed less stupid when I was a child. See what I'm, saying?

My take on depression nowadays.. if you aren't at least slightly depressed - there is something very wrong with you. Not being depressed should be addressed and treated immediately. You'd have to be very unaware or lacking a soul

IMHO medical professionals are not fools, and they will know what they are looking at. Whilst they will take serious account of any and all of a sufferer's self reporting, there are many other markers in body language, behaviour and attitude that are quite obvious when you've seen enough of it.

I worked with mental health sufferers for several years, as part of my teaching job with adults. I don't remember a case of a person referred to the courses in error. Towards the end of the job, I could tell an ill person just by seeing them walk in the door and sit down. A depressed, anxious, obsessive, bulimic or anorexic person was ill in plain sight in front of me. I'm sure that psych docs have developed much better skills.

Maybe the shrinks can.

I've red a medical report on me that said "anxiety". I don't consider trying to resolve a health issue before it becomes a serious problem to be "anxiety".

ron,

I'm back on firm ground.

Also, I'm still working as a mod and helper on a mental health support forum. In that media there are only written words to go on. It is remarkable how similar the patterns of reporting are, and how clear it is what is dominant in the posters thinking. Another thing that's happened is meeting posters in 3d, if they happen to live near enough and want to come to a relaxation class. On such few occasions I have been saddened by how unwell those people were, despite having kept up a better impression online. I think this is a very common phenomenon.

Finally, the real danger is failing to take reports seriously enough. I have personally known two young people who committed suicide, both under the age of 25. Once that has happened it is too late.

Alex.
I like this.

Maybe the shrinks can.

I've red a medical report on me that said "anxiety". I don't consider trying to resolve a health issue before it becomes a serious problem to be "anxiety".

Loren,

The word anxiety is often misused and has distinct shades of meaning.

Health 'anxiety' is very common and just part of everyday life for most people. Docs and nurses will be seeing people every day who are worried about their health and anxious about that. This is not what mental health professionals are concerned with.

However, the word 'anxiety' is also stigmatised by connection with mental illness. The conditions: Panic Disorder and Generalised Anxiety Disorder are severe, debilitating conditions which ruin lives. They usually strike in early to late teens and continue (ameliorated by meds) through life. The conditions are often phasal, coming in waves every month or two, or being dormant for years. For some, unknown, reason panic disorder often goes away in later life, although the fear of panic attacks remains with the sufferer.

A hospital consultant once said "A panic attack is the worst that a person can feel." That's quite a statement.:(

A.

I thought the ridiculous increase was all about money
The RX industry is a business and more crazy = more money, yes I agree.
Past generations (previous few) were driven to depression through trickery and even poisoning
. What?
Now you don't have to brainwash someone or poison their shower water to make them depressed, because something as simple as a phone can do the work for you.
Who do you mean by YOU? Someone does this stuff on purpose?

I don't know where your thread's meaning falls into this, but depressed teens only have to look around to think that there is no God, and if there is one, it is very cruel.
What?

Their impression of God is perverted.
Oxymoronic thing to say but yes
Their childhoods must be surreal as they grow up with this transforming tech molding their minds.
Yes.
Another thousand like this and they'll be born with built in wifi and a spiritual instinct for hentai.
What?
God is sort of a joke when you have the capabilities of an iPhone 7 and steady wifi.
God is even a joke with a flip phone. Without one, in fact. God as it is understood by most, anyway.
I had a dumbass house phone and HBO, so God seemed less stupid when I was a child.
Good for you?
See what I'm, saying?
Nah

My take on depression nowadays.. if you aren't at least slightly depressed - there is something very wrong with you. Not being depressed should be addressed and treated immediately. You'd have to be very unaware or lacking a soul
Depression is a disorder. Anxiety is, too. Accepting those as natural states of mind would be depressing. Oh, I see what you mean..

Growing up with technology is a point but I don't see you working it into any conversation. Ever. But it is a good point. The rest was just filler to seem like something was actually being said. You suck, and your mother goes with men on the Sabbath. And you have stubby fingers. Malformed pinky from using a mouse half your life. Pathetic victim of tech, just like the "children" you're always going on about. A little suspicious there. Who are these children?

proper response

Don't be such a smartass to them. Children + tech + pills + the warming sense of paranoia in society = increase in depression at very high rates. I think that was what they were saying. Duh... depression is on the rise? Duh... anxiety is on the rise? The stats available are probably much lower than the actual ones locked away somewhere. It would be cool to control an apparatus that directly affects the mood of of the civilized world, and disguise it as informative, fun and social. The things you could do with such a toy. I wouldn't trust many people to have one of those things. Bad news. I'm so glad it doesn't exist.

Maybe the shrinks can.

Loren,

The word anxiety is often misused and has distinct shades of meaning.

Health 'anxiety' is very common and just part of everyday life for most people. Docs and nurses will be seeing people every day who are worried about their health and anxious about that. This is not what mental health professionals are concerned with.

Then it shouldn't have been in the report.

Back
Top Bottom