• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is strong atheism "faithy," dishonest, awkward, or hard to defend?

Many Christians hold that not all Gods are worthy of worship. Indeed not all Gods matter. For example The Process God concept.
What I've noticed about most Christians, and it's probably true about believers generally, is that they see people of other faiths that don't even worship or recognize their god as real as fellow believers. That always seemed odd to me. It's beginning to make more sense, however, as I've heard the sentiment expressed frequently that everyone worships the same god, the same lord. If that's true then the only thing separating these people is a common religion.

I think a lot of believers confuse worship with god. They share a need to worship and so invent their gods. So when it comes time to discussing religion and atheism, they can claim how so many more people are believers than not, even if the majority of those believers are atheist with regards to their god.

It's mostly Baha'i, very moderate theists, and the occasional "I believe in god, but not organized religion" types among the nones who believe that.

Everyone else believes that practitioners of other religions are going to be punished in the next life. Hell, many of them believe this about people in the same religion but of different denominations.

To take a simplified look at this issue most atheists profess a lack of belief in a God or gods. If someone would say to them there is no God or gods, then that would be contrary to his/her view.

Wha?

How is the statement 'There is no X' contrary to the view of somebody who lacks belief in 'X'?

By the way, it is inaccurate to say "most atheists profess a lack of belief in a God or gods" - the definition of the word atheist requires that ALL atheists HAVE a lack of belief in God or gods.

To take a simplified look at this issue most atheists profess a lack of belief in a God or gods. If someone would say to them there is no God or gods, then that would be contrary to his/her view.

That doesn't make sense. Nobody believes both that there are no gods and that there are gods. Therefore, there is no conflict between believing that there are no gods and not believing that there are gods.

Strong atheists (those who believe there are no gods) are a subset of atheists (those who do not have a belief that there are gods).

An absence of belief needs no 'professing'
Nor does its presence. What we say is only a small part of what we are. What we do is the real deal. Whatever we believe will be obvious via our behavior, regardless whatever we profess. It is an interesting study in human nature how so many of us are deceived - but perhaps comforted - by observing language alone. Language is only a doorway at best.

Back
Top Bottom