• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is the Bible a magic book?

It's when people make assertions about what God is, wants, hates, intends, says, or any such things. It's based on assumption that they know important things about God. I not only don't believe that they do, I'm very confident that the reason that they do it is because they want to believe that they know better than the rest of us. So they ascribe their own personal opinions to God.
It's simpler. The person is the god, which means there ain't none, just more religious fantasizing.

It's when people make assertions about what God is, wants, hates, intends, says, or any such things. It's based on assumption that they know important things about God. I not only don't believe that they do, I'm very confident that the reason that they do it is because they want to believe that they know better than the rest of us. So they ascribe their own personal opinions to God.
It's simpler. The person is the god, which means there ain't none, just more religious fantasizing.

I didn't want to come right out and say it.
But yeah. God is a fictional character constantly reinvented in the image of the human doing the inventing.
Tom

I didn't want to come right out and say it.
But yeah. God is a fictional character constantly reinvented in the image of the human doing the inventing.
Tom
The polite approach is Mark Twain’s:

“God created man in His own image, and man has been returning the favor ever since.”

God isn't suppose to be logical! That's conceptually the logic.
We have a word for things that don't obey the logic inherent in reality. That word is "fictional".

Fictional characters can do anything their author can imagine. That's your God, right there.
If God of the bible is true i.e. being the creator of life and maker of the governing physical laws. You will still post the exact same thing above... because it not something we can compare to, in our everyday logic use to the familiar.

How do you know that the stories of God performing miracles are true?

If God of the bible is true i.e. being the creator of life and maker of the governing physical laws …
it not something we can compare to, in our everyday logic use to the familiar.
IOW, it’s all the same, God or no God.
Ergo, God is extraneous. So why bother with religious superstitions?

When called to account for pretending to channel God, creos keep referring to a book. They call it God's word, even though it is a compilation of a lot of words, few of which are actually attributed by that book itself to a God.
Then I am told that it is "infallible", which turns out to mean that if my plain reading of the infallible text conflicts with observable reality, either my observations of reality or my plain reading of the text must be flawed.
How can this be? I suppose it's possible if the god who wrote that book took every measure to deceive me ( @Learner knows god and assures me he doesn't pull that crap) for purposes beyond my meager comprehension.
But how is it possible to reconcile all the myriad differing interpretations of that book? There is either ONE correct interpretation (hear the chorus of "mine is the right one!") or the "true" meaning is highly variable, or ... the one 'possibility' that alleviates all this confusion, validates the infallibility of the book, and vindicates creos' version of reality. And that very distant IMO possibility is...
The Bible is a MAGIC book!
But... why can't creos just come out and say that?
Man appeared and said "wtf?" The universe answered with a book. Pretty much nails the questions of what we are to me. The smartest ape to date. If that's magic, then the universe is magical.

...how is it possible to reconcile all the myriad differing interpretations of that book?

It's much easier to accept that the differing interpretations, (which arent even mutually exclusive,) are swamped into insignificance by the overwhelmingly unanimous agreement on the central truths of the bible.

It's like you're saying how can we reconcile the existence of myriad differences in human ethnicity with the notion of one single human race

Magic is an ancient practice rooted in rituals, spiritual divinations, and/or cultural lineage—with an intention to invoke, manipulate, or otherwise manifest supernatural forces, beings, or entities in the natural world.[1] It is a categorical yet often ambiguous term which has been used to refer to a wide variety of beliefs and practices, frequently considered separate from both religion and science.[2]

Connotations have varied from positive to negative at times throughout history,[3] Within Western culture, magic has been linked to ideas of the Other,[4] foreignness,[5] and primitivism;[6] indicating that it is "a powerful marker of cultural difference"[7] and likewise, a non-modern phenomenon.[8] During the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, Western intellectuals perceived the practice of magic to be a sign of a primitive mentality and also commonly attributed it to marginalised groups of people.[7]

Aleister Crowley (1875–1947), a British occultist, defined "magick" as "the Science and Art of causing Change to occur in conformity with Will",[9] adding a 'k' to distinguish ceremonial or ritual magic from stage magic.[10] In modern occultism and neopagan religions, many self-described magicians and witches regularly practice ritual magic.[11] This view has been incorporated into chaos magic and the new religious movements of Thelema and Wicca.

Yes the bible is magic ion the traditional sense. Today certainly the Catholic mass. Bread and wine turns to body and blood of a dead person through incantations.

Crosses and medallions.

Parting a sea. Walking on water.

Calling the bible a magic book isn't the flex you think it is.

...how is it possible to reconcile all the myriad differing interpretations of that book?

It's much easier to accept that the differing interpretations, (which arent even mutually exclusive,) are swamped into insignificance by the overwhelmingly unanimous agreement on the central truths of the bible.

It's like you're saying how can we reconcile the existence of myriad differences in human ethnicity with the notion of one single human race

There are logical contradictions that can't be reconciled, where if one interpretation is taken to be valid, the other cannot be true. Someone has to be wrong.

The very same ambiguity which allows a variety of interpretations ALSO allows alleged contradictions to be harmonized.

It's much easier to accept that the differing interpretations, (which arent even mutually exclusive,..
Hence the existence of hundreds of sects and subjects, cults like Mooneys, Trumpers … 🙄
are swamped into insignificance by the overwhelmingly unanimous agreement on the central truths of the bible.
That’s why there are wars over which version of that book is correct?
I guess that’s the case, to the extent that we still have race wars.

Please give us ONE verse in this magic book that teaches that slavery is utterly immoral or that wars of extermination are utterly immoral.

Slavery is wage theft.

Think Lion! Think!
...oh...what's that verse again?
It's right on the tip of my tongue.
It'll come to me.

A book which magically inveighs against greed - the love of money - the root of all evil - has gotta be a book which any opponent of slavery would approve.

One of the latter-day prophets has told us that 42 is answer to “the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything.” By focusing ONLY on verses numbered "42" in the Holy Magic book, we can find the secret magic messages. It is also a big time-saver: we needn't bother to read verses with a different number.

For example, the 42nd verse in Genesis Chapter 41 tells us "And Pharaoh took off his ring from his hand, and put it upon Joseph's hand, and arrayed him in vestures of fine linen and put a gold chain about his neck."

This verse seems very clear. It wasn't Donald that got Pharaoh's Ring and the gold chain; it was Joseph. It wasn't Sean or Rudy or even Nikki. It certainly wasn't Vivek or Tucker. It was Joseph.

AFAIK there is only one Joseph who has ever been a President of the U.S. or a Vice President or even a major candidate, and that is of course Joseph Robinette Biden, Jr. (There was another Joseph -- Joseph Patrick Kennedy Jr. -- being groomed for the Presidency but he was struck down when he flew toward the Heavens before his time.) Donald isn't even mentioned in the Bible at all, let alone in a 42nd verse.

The Bible clarifies its message: In The Gospel of John, it is in the 42nd verse of Chapter 6 that the Saviour is specifically shown as the son of Joseph. And President Joe Biden not only has a father named Joseph, but both his grandfathers were named Joseph.

Of course there are many more proofs of this Good News from God's Holy Book. I'll content myself with just one more example. It is in the 42nd Chapter of Jeremiah that we find a special message. It is verse 14. (14 is exactly of 42.)
Jeremiah 42:14 said:
Saying: No, but we will go into the land of Egypt: where we shall see no war, nor hear the sound of the trumpet, nor suffer hunger: and there we will dwell.
This verse is also pretty clear. "We will not suffer hunger" -- this is shorthand for arriving at our destination where all men -- or at least those willing to invade an Arab country like Egypt? -- can be content. But key to the secret meaning is "We shall [not] hear the sound of the trumpet." The scribes who rendered God's voice so many centuries ago probably thought "trumpet" was a musical instrument and wondered why our paradise would not enjoy the sound of music. But now we know that "trumpet" is an alternate spelling for "trumpette." With Joseph son of Joseph as our saviour and wearing Pharaoh's ring and gold chain, we will no longer hear the horrid rants by Trump and his Trumpettes.

Back
Top Bottom