• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is the mind material or non-material?

Is the mind a material activity of a brain?

• The mind a material activity of a brain.

Votes: 30 83.3%
  • The mind is not a material activity of a brain, a mind is non-material.

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters
What you actually said was: ''Too much of a stretch, I think. Even scientists don't believe that discussion of a phenomenon is the same as investigating it.'' - Togo - and that is what I was responding to in this instance.

Well let's look at the full context, which actually appeared in my post:

The brain/mind is a physical phenomena, so if philosophy has any intentions of discussing or inquiring into nature of the mind, the mind being a physical phenomena of a brain, this is an instance of an investigation into a physical phenomena.
Too much of a stretch, I think. Even scientists don't believe that discussion of a phenomenon is the same as investigating it.

You'll note that you appear to equate, in the section I've bolded, discussing with inquiring, and state that both are an instance of investigation. Hence my reply.

In other words, I choose which bits I want to ask you about, and ask you about them. And you refuse to answer because you've already decided which bits are relevant and which are not. So you just repeat the bits you feel are relevant.

Exactly what bits do you believe I've ignored? I think that you've missed the point and focused on irrelevancies...

Which is exactly what I said you were doing. You've decided in advance what topics are relevant and should be subject to question, get annoyed because I'm not asking question on that list.

Which is eerily similar to the idea that philosophy should limit itself to questions proposed by science, using science as a starting point, and not engage in any questions that might challenge or engage with the underpinning assumptions. I'm not saying that is your position, but it's certainly been a theme in the past.

So let's see what you believe is the problem. With so many irrelevancies I don't know what you think I've ignored.

The problem is that you're only willing to discuss matters you consider relevant to a refutation of your own position. That excludes anything you've not considered, and anyone who wants to talk around the topic. The problem is that you're not willing to simply discuss philosophy.

Togo, please give a formal list of the points you think I've ignored and I'll address your concerns point by point. Let's see if they are relevant.

HaHa no, that's just inviting the same problem over again. How about you list all the points you consider irrelevant, and demonstrate why they are inappropriate to discuss in terms of the OP and the stated purpose of these boards?

Is the question of material or nonmaterial mind material to the mind itself?

How are we to know?

More to the point, if the mind is immaterial, how can we have a material discussion?

Exactly.

Your discussion is immaterial to the matter.

Well, we have two choices. If the mind is material, then this discussion is a discussion of a physical phenomenon. It's been suggested that this means the discussion should either rely on physical observations, or is irrelevant. We thus have the interesting situation where a discussion of how to define something (as material or immaterial) is contingent on observing it, committing us to observing something without first defining what it is we're looking for.

If the mind is immaterial, then the discussion is a discussion of an immaterial phenomenon, and we can put it on a safely theoretical level, like mathematical principles, principles of logic, etc. Except that would suggest that ideas are immaterial, a position opposed by materialists.

I don't think it's terribly helpful to regard the mind as material, any more than it's helpful to regard ideas, maths or logic as physical.

If the mind is immaterial, then the discussion is a discussion of an immaterial phenomenon, and we can put it on a safely theoretical level, like mathematical principles, principles of logic, etc.
No. And thanks for stating this so clearly for this a very common error: confusing the immaterial nature of mathematics/logics etc with that of we observe the mind. It is a mistake in that it assumes that we observe the mind as we observe logical or mathematical objects and concepts. Which is obviously wrong: we have no access to the mind itself, only to what we observe of it.

You'll note that you appear to equate, in the section I've bolded, discussing with inquiring, and state that both are an instance of investigation. Hence my reply.

Yes, that is what I said. But what I said has no relationship to your reply. When I said - ''The brain/mind is a physical phenomena, so if philosophy has any intentions of discussing or inquiring into nature of the mind, the mind being a physical phenomena of a brain, this is an instance of an investigation into a physical phenomena'' - I was clearly referring to the necessity for philosophy to include scientific information....and not your so called objection that '' Even scientists don't believe that discussion of a phenomenon is the same as investigating it.'' Your reply was irrelevant to what I said. This is one example of why I complain about a strawman argument.

Which is exactly what I said you were doing.
I think I complained about your tendency to ignore difficult points first, and you followed suit. Go back over our exchange and check. Not that it matters. What you should be doing is making a formal list of the points you believe I've ignored. Which I requested, but you've declined to do... citing the reason as; ''HaHa no, that's just inviting the same problem over again.'' - Togo.

You complain that I ignore your points - which I say are off track (strawmen), and point our why - yet when requested, refuse to list your points clearly and concisely so that they can be seen for what they are.

You've decided in advance what topics are relevant and should be subject to question, get annoyed because I'm not asking question on that list.

I'm annoyed because you come up with irrelevant objections and claim I ignore your points. They are not points, they never were points. Look at my original claim and try to do better next time.

Which is eerily similar to the idea that philosophy should limit itself to questions proposed by science, using science as a starting point, and not engage in any questions that might challenge or engage with the underpinning assumptions. I'm not saying that is your position, but it's certainly been a theme in the past.

Togo, tell me how philosophy is supposed to inquire into the nature of the mind, either a function of the brain or the idea of immaterial mind, without including the discoveries of scientific investigation?

I look forward to seeing your explanation.

The problem is that you're only willing to discuss matters you consider relevant to a refutation of your own position. That excludes anything you've not considered, and anyone who wants to talk around the topic. The problem is that you're not willing to simply discuss philosophy.

Crock. The subject of the thread defines the subject matter being discussed, namely whether ''mind'' is material or immaterial. I went on to say that investigation into the nature of brain/mind is impossible for philosophy without reference to scientific discovery. Philosophy simply does not have the means. Without the physical experiments, brain imaging, etc, not enough can be known about brain function purely through discussion and reasoning. This is what places limits on philosophical inquiry.

To use an old term, you have cut me to the quick...

Not sure why. Perhaps a different interpretation to my remark than was intended?

My mistake. I thought you were responding with sarcasm to what I thought would be obvious parody of the debate. You have agreed with some philosophical meanderings I made up out of nothing. Jabberwocky.

The debate freely uses the terms material and immaterial without any definition. leading to mostly a nonsensical discussion on nothing at all. On a par with debating how many angels can fit on the head of a needle.

Hence my play on words of there being a non-material vs material discussion....

To use an old term, you have cut me to the quick...

Not sure why. Perhaps a different interpretation to my remark than was intended?

My mistake. I thought you were responding with sarcasm to what I thought would be obvious parody of the debate. You have agreed with some philosophical meanderings I made up out of nothing. Jabberwocky.

The debate freely uses the terms material and immaterial without any definition. leading to mostly a nonsensical discussion on nothing at all. On a par with debating how many angels can fit on the head of a needle.

Hence my play on words of there being a non-material vs material discussion....

No problem, I was agreeing with the underlying meaning and sentiment of your remarks. All good.

Yes, that is what I said. But .... Your reply was irrelevant to what I said. This is one example of why I complain about a strawman argument.

You complain that I ignore your points - which I say are off track (strawmen),

You've decided in advance what topics are relevant and should be subject to question, get annoyed because I'm not asking question on that list.
I'm annoyed because you come up with irrelevant objections and claim I ignore your points.

Crock. The subject of the thread defines the subject matter being discussed, namely whether ''mind'' is material or immaterial. I went on to say that....[statement of position]

Great, so the points I raised that are relevant to the OP, but which you dismissed as irrelevant to your position (above), are still entirely valid for discussion?

If the mind is immaterial, then the discussion is a discussion of an immaterial phenomenon, and we can put it on a safely theoretical level, like mathematical principles, principles of logic, etc.
No. And thanks for stating this so clearly for this a very common error: confusing the immaterial nature of mathematics/logics etc with that of we observe the mind.

Wait, why are we only discussing observations of the mind? Does first hand experience of thought really count as an observation (i.e. is it observation if there is no observer)?

It is a mistake in that it assumes that we observe the mind as we observe logical or mathematical objects and concepts. Which is obviously wrong: we have no access to the mind itself, only to what we observe of it.

Do we have access to mathematical concepts themselves? I'm not seeing the distinction between an idea in my head about my mind, and an idea in my head about the area of a circle.

DBT, I'm popping in late, I see, but just as a fly by before (or IF) I get more involved:

The wording of the choices is not very good, and neither choice is optimal for getting everyone's view on things. Note I said 'everyone': I'm sure some people like the choices just fine. I haven't read through the thread yet (and may not), but it looks like something I'd enjoy, as you know.

My own wording for choice number two would be: I believe mind occurs in an individual's brain, and is largely the result of the operation of said brain, but human brains, individually and collectively, may be tapped into from an exterior source, and may have access to that source, with proper understanding, training, and emotional and intellectual clout (wherewithal, ability, capacity, faith, etc.).

I realize of course that you can't fit that much into the option box. Just being expansive and irritating, as usual.

:joy:

Last edited:
DBT, I'm popping in late, I see, but just as a fly by before (or IF) I get more involved:

The wording of the choices is not very good, and neither choice is optimal for getting everyone's view on things. Note I said 'everyone': I'm sure some people like the choices just fine. I haven't read through the thread yet (and may not), but it looks like something I'd enjoy, as you know.

The wording was a response to a claim made by a poster in another thread. It was meant to focus the question of whether people believed the mind to be material or immaterial, and nothing more than that. Things have expanded somewhat, but that doesn't matter.

My own wording for choice number two would be: I believe mind occurs in an individual's brain, and is largely the result of the operation of said brain, but human brains, individually and collectively, may be tapped into from an exterior source, and may have access to that source, with proper understanding, training, and emotional and intellectual clout (wherewithal, ability, capacity, faith, etc.).

That option is basically catered for by voting ''non material' - it doesn't matter if you believe there is some degree of brain involvement, the exterior element is presumably your concept of non material mind.

I realize of course that you can't fit that much into the option box. Just being expansive and irritating, as usual.

You are welcome to say whatever you feel needs saying.

Great, so the points I raised that are relevant to the OP, but which you dismissed as irrelevant to your position (above), are still entirely valid for discussion?

The discussion on the question of physical or non physical mind was diverted into the tangent issue of ''philosophy requires science in order to remain valid'' - so it's not exactly the same subject matter. Our particular conflict was related to the latter issue, not the former.

If you believe that philosophy does not need to include science, whnot give an account of how you believe philosophy is able to inquire into the nature of the mind (whether the mind is physical or not), without including current scientific discoveries of brain/mind function from neuroscience?

Do we have access to mathematical concepts themselves?
Yes. Since we define them.

I'm not seeing the distinction between an idea in my head about my mind, and an idea in my head about the area of a circle.
All information about a circle lies is within its definition whereas information about the mind must be empirically observed.

Yes. Since we define them.

I'm not seeing the distinction between an idea in my head about my mind, and an idea in my head about the area of a circle.
All information about a circle lies is within its definition whereas information about the mind must be empirically observed.

Juma, I believe you missed Togo's point. The idea of my mind in my mind is the same as the idea of a circle in my mind. i.e: There is distinction in content, not in kind.

Hey, that rhymes!

Juma, I believe you missed Togo's point. The idea of my mind in my mind is the same as the idea of a circle in my mind. i.e: There is distinction in content, not in kind.
I did not. We have direct access to the content of mathematical concepts. We do not have direct access to the inner workings of the mind.

I did not. We have direct access to the content of mathematical concepts. We do not have direct access to the inner workings of the mind.

That makes twice.

:hysterical:

Yes, Juma, do please explain.

I won't be able to answer you until I get a break at work, but I'll be waiting with baited breath.

Back
Top Bottom