• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is there life on Venus?

bilby

Fair dinkum thinkum
The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
It's a god awful small affair

Sorry, wrong planet.

Phosphines have been detected in the Venusian upper atmosphere, and based on our (admittedly limited) understanding of the chemistry of that planet, they really shouldn't be there. Unless there's some kind of life form (perhaps a unicellular anaerobe) that's making them.

Who had "Venusian invasion" for their 2020 disaster lottery?

https://doi.org/10.1038/s41550-020-1174-4

https://phys.org/news/2020-09-hints-life-venus-scientists-phosphine.amp

evidence_of_alien_life.png

Odd, it's not really a new story. Trace gasses suggesting the presence of microbes in the upper atmosphere of Venus was brought up decades ago. I think the problem is Sulfuric acid and the absence of water.

My first reaction exactly. Any other year I'd say "this is a fascinating discovery, let's hope we soon learn more about it!"

In 2020, that changes to "This is a fascinating discovery. Let's hope they aren't planning an invasion!"

(Yes, I am aware that to a microbe adapted to conditions in Venus's upper atmosphere is probably going to find most ecosystems on Earth, and *all* ecosystems inside animal bodies with the possible exception of the stomach, quite unfriendly, not unlike the reverse - and even as the upper atmosphere is pretty much the friendliest place on Venus (where you only get asphyxiated, poisoned and corroded, so quite a nice place compared to the surface where you also burn and are squashed at the same time), that pretty much rules out a successful colonization.)

My first reaction exactly. Any other year I'd say "this is a fascinating discovery, let's hope we soon learn more about it!"

In 2020, that changes to "This is a fascinating discovery. Let's hope they aren't planning an invasion!"

(Yes, I am aware that to a microbe adapted to conditions in Venus's upper atmosphere is probably going to find most ecosystems on Earth, and *all* ecosystems inside animal bodies with the possible exception of the stomach, quite unfriendly, not unlike the reverse - and even as the upper atmosphere is pretty much the friendliest place on Venus (where you only get asphyxiated, poisoned and corroded, so quite a nice place compared to the surface where you also burn and are squashed at the same time), that pretty much rules out a successful colonization.)

Indeed, a venusian invasion would require the injection of massive amounts of carbon dioxide into our atmosphere.

It's possible that they already have a fifth column amongst the earthlings...

Classic SciFi trope. Trick humans into converting our environment into one more suitable for the invaders.

Was watching Thunderf00t go into this topic. He is so tactically undiplomatic against other scientists and science youtubers it is actually kind of dumb.

At any rate his technical arguments make sense.

What is the maximum level of moisture in the cloudtops of Venus and could any cells not quickly dry out even there?

If Venus had water based life then it could have adapted to cloud top living. But seems too dry now.

Many of the comments are also ripping into TF for sensationalism in his attack on scientists and popularizers who are being polite and upbeat while many are also saying it is exceedingly unlikely for life to be on Venus. Lots of news producers on the other hand...

Basically TF is saying it is SO DRY that there can NOT be life on Venus. Full stop.

comment response:

Ej15RCgUYAA-q_M.png

Last edited:
I haven't checked in on Thunderfoot in a long time myself, even though I'm a subscriber. Is he still obsessed with Anita Sarkisean (sp)? There's lot to dislike about her and her dumb videos, but it was like Captain Ahab and the great while whale for a while there...

Back
Top Bottom