• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is this Old Testament passage "hate speech"?

excreationist

Married mouth-breather
Basic Beliefs
Probably in a simulation
The following is not allowed in Steam games:
Hate speech, i.e. speech that promotes hatred, violence or discrimination against groups of people based on ethnicity, religion, gender, age, disability or sexual orientation
I wanted to include the following passage in my game:
Deuteronomy 20:16-17
But what about the cities the Lord your God is giving you as your own? Kill everything that breathes in those cities. Completely destroy them. Wipe out the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites. That’s what the Lord your God commanded you to do.
It seems to involve violence based on ethnicity though I don't think those ethnicities still exist. I hope it doesn't count as hate speech.

I think “hate speech” is a legal term that requires proof of intent in order to charge.
Outside of that or similar domains, what is and is not hate speech is an individual’s inference to make or not.

Hate speech, i.e. speech that promotes hatred, violence or discrimination against groups of people based on ethnicity, religion, gender, age, disability or sexual orientation
But what about the cities the Lord your God is giving you as your own? Kill everything that breathes in those cities. Completely destroy them. Wipe out the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites. That’s what the Lord your God commanded you to do.
It seems to involve violence based on ethnicity though I don't think those ethnicities still exist. I hope it doesn't count as hate speech.
No, it's an outright instruction to genocide.
As you said, they aren't around now so...

I hope Steam doesn't ban it due to "hate speech" so that many people can have their faith tested by the game focusing on that passage....

Then there is this interesting part a bit later on:
Deuteronomy 20:19
Suppose you surround a city and get ready to attack it. And suppose you fight against it for a long time in order to capture it. Then don’t chop down its trees and destroy them. You can eat their fruit. So don’t cut them down. Are the trees people? So why should you attack them?
So in the game the soldiers get upset if you hurt fruit trees.

It definitely fits the term genocide as described officially by that word. A word defined post WW2 and post holocaust.

An interesting quote by a Christian on another messageboard:
Hate speech is a term coined by the godless to attack those who are godly.

Hate speech = functioning racism. What could be more racist than a deity (who supposedly created all mankind) favoring one "racial" group (as if race was scientifically meaningful; it's mostly a cultural designation), then giving that group the right and the duty to exterminate any group that got in their way, i.e., lived where they wanted to live?

I hope Steam doesn't ban it due to "hate speech"
Lots of platforms gave automated the detection of hate speech, harassment, incitement to violence, etc.

The automated systems are utterly incompetent to handle classic quotes; I was suspended by Facebook for inciting violence, after I posted:

"I say we blast off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure".

Another quote from a Christian on another messageboard:
(In their example I asked if the cats should be killed since they breathe)
Orders are orders.

If God did it, God being the epitome of Power and Divine justice, divine might makes it right, so killing the Httiites, Canaanites, Amorites, etc, must be right, holy, moral and good.

If God did it, God being the epitome of Power and Divine justice, divine might makes it right, so killing the Httiites, Canaanites, Amorites, etc, must be right, holy, moral and good.
Yes it's a basis for "absolute morality". Serious Christians would never say that it was immoral though they might say that God is different in the New Testament.

In the OT, once you're killed by Joshua's exterminators, you're just dead. In the NT, that's just the beginning. You'll be tormented for eternity, unable to resist, and your 'wailing and gnashing of teeth', in the elegant phrase of the Prince of Peace, will have no end and serve no redemptive purpose. Yes, it's imaginary, and meant to give the faithful downtrodden something to smirk over -- but isn't it a ramping up of the OT's sadism?

I hope Steam doesn't ban it due to "hate speech"
Lots of platforms gave automated the detection of hate speech, harassment, incitement to violence, etc.

The automated systems are utterly incompetent to handle classic quotes; I was suspended by Facebook for inciting violence, after I posted:

"I say we blast off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure".

A popular YouTube channel for interesting chess games had one episode expunged. After one good move, the narrator commented "White is better."

The apocalypse of Matthew 24 would seem to indicate God is cruel and savage. See Revelation also.
Though I don't think it involves God telling his followers to kill people (and everything that breathes).

We are told that God is Love, and in Psalms, 'God is good to all and His tender mercy are to be found all over His works.'

Sure, but what point does 'tough love' become abuse? Is the old testament an example of tough love?
I've never heard a Christian claim it is about tough love. I thought about "tough love" when I was going to a mental ward in 2019.... I thought that:
"We live in a retrocasual E8 block universe as sinners with a loving higher power who sometimes uses tough love. There is also a malicious deceptive force that the loving higher power allows to hurt people."
I no longer believe in it so I won't answer your questions.

Reactions: DBT
Back
Top Bottom