• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Jacobin on The Handmaid's Tale vs market forces on women and childbearing

It almost sounds like it's trashing some Christians for being pro life.

The article itself is extremely bigoted and thus is a poor article.

???

This is partly an attack on neoliberalism

Actually is was attacking Trump for being a Christian. Par for the course.

Okay, I'll bite. What is neoliberalism?

neoliberalism is actually a misnomer since neoliberalism harks back to a period where liberalistic/pluralistic principles were used as justification for laissez fair economics. In practice, neoliberalism is just the thinking man's libertarianism.

hmm, yeah these words take on new meanings over time. So it what the word means now that matters. What is currently called neoliberalism, what should it be called instead?

this video uses the term a lot:

hmm, yeah these words take on new meanings over time. So it what the word means now that matters. What is currently called neoliberalism, what should it be called instead?

Libertarianism. I just said it. They're virtually identical in all aspects. The only difference I could offer is that Neoliberals are maybe more socially conscious and generally have fewer hangups over social services and welfare but not to any real appreciable degree.

Is selling off nationally owned and operated assets/utilities through public-private partnerships neoliberalism?

Who cares, at least it is may not be (if a deal passes) controlled by the US government. Isn't that a good thing? /s

Who cares, at least it is may not be (if a deal passes) controlled by the US government. Isn't that a good thing? /s

Sure is great how the party which extols the virtue of protecting our national sovereignty is the one quickest to sell us out to foreign interests.

Basically Neoliberalism is free market capitalism, ie: far right Republican party philosophy.
From the Mighty Wiki:
Neoliberalism (neo-liberalism)[1] refers primarily to the 20th-century resurgence of 19th-century ideas associated with laissez-faire economic liberalism.[2]:7 These include extensive economic liberalization policies such as privatization, fiscal austerity, deregulation, free trade, and reductions in government spending in order to increase the role of the private sector in the economy and society.[10] These market-based ideas and the policies they inspired constitute a paradigm shift away from the post-war Keynesian consensus which lasted from 1945 to 1980.

Actually is was attacking Trump for being a Christian. Par for the course.

Okay, I'll bite. What is neoliberalism?

neoliberalism is actually a misnomer since neoliberalism harks back to a period where liberalistic/pluralistic principles were used as justification for laissez fair economics. In practice, neoliberalism is just the thinking man's libertarianism.

You are correct that neoliberalism harks back to free market economics. It is the economics of the classical liberals and the classical economists, Adam Smith, David Ricardo, etc.

But it isn't a misnomer, it is an economic theory advanced by the Austrian economists Ludwig von Mises and Frederick von Hayek in the late 1930's. Which didn't gain much headway against Keynesian economics until Milton Friedman adopted it and moved it out of the academic sphere and into the political one by pitching it to some of the very wealthiest men on earth. The money provided by the wealthy enabled neoliberalism to overcome its theoretical shortcomings to where it dominates political economics today, at least in the Anglo American countries.

Rather than being the thinking man's libertarianism, an example of a oxymoron as I ever heard, libertarianism is one of the evil spawn of neoliberalism. Others are neoclassical synthesis economics, supply side economics, Reaganomics and Thatcherism.

Neoliberalism would best be described as the political economics of the wealthy for the benefit of the wealthy. It has evolved into anything that puts money into the hands of the already rich.

The irony is that South Park's libertarianism is a prodigy of neoliberalism. I don't think that PC, identity politics, anti-Vaxx, and the the other soft spots of modern liberalism are the products of neoliberalism. Rather they are gifts to neoliberalism that certainly the neoliberals encourage liberals to pursue.

Is selling off nationally owned and operated assets/utilities through public-private partnerships neoliberalism?

Yes, it is. Through the political success of neoliberalism, supply side economics, etc., the wealthy have gained a huge amount of money, about twenty trillion dollars diverted from the non-wealthy in the US alone, that they have run out of traditional places to put their money. They have run up the stock market by more than 2300% nominal, in a period that the cost of living has increased by about 300%. They need new places to put their money. One way to provide this is by privatizing government services, education, prisons, infrastructure, etc., and areas like health care. They don't care that the private, for profit model is poor fit for these, or that they dramatically raise the costs associated with these, because the money goes into their pockets.

Well, I was hoping to get the article responded too, but this must give you a raging neoliberal boner then:

Nationalist for Saudi, neoliberal for us.
. Yes, the public-private partnership is code for privatization. The wealthy have a greater allegiance to the wealthy of other countries than they have to their own country.

When is nationalist ;) Bannon gonna convince Trump to put the kibosh on this deal (if it really is in the works)?

- - - Updated - - -

The irony is that South Park's libertarianism is a prodigy of neoliberalism. I don't think that PC, identity politics, anti-Vaxx, and the the other soft spots of modern liberalism are the products of neoliberalism. Rather they are gifts to neoliberalism that certainly the neoliberals encourage liberals to pursue.

To keep the heat off of the wealth transfer they are undertaking? I would imagine that a neoliberal billionaire is very happy that people are discussing the 70 genders on Tumblr and Facebook instead of the privatization of the commons. I would not be surprised if a sociopath like John Paulson (real estate guy) would indirectly fund loonies like that to get news cycles on such goofy topics instead of the shit he pulls.

ETA: let me say transgender people are real and a part of the human condition that should not be given the treatment that assholes like Pence would give them - but there is something off (maybe teenage insecurity/narcissism?) about the Tumblrization of the topic and proliferation of so many gender categories.

Getting more dark, while the rich are exploiting the poor now - we are all exploiting future generations by running up our population and running down our resources. All while cocooning ourselves with creature comforts and mass media in a Huxleyian utopia/dystopia. Easter Island gone global.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom