• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

January 6 Hearings Live

Is it possible that Garland has already opened investigations into crimes committed by Donald Trump, Would those investigations go away until and unless he loses in '24 if he declares tomorrow? I can't see how that would work. Does that mean anyone accused of anything could declare they're running for president... even someone guilty of seditious conspiracy, felony menacing, inciting an insurrection, witness tampering and dereliction of duty?
Perhaps complicity in the deaths of a few hundred thousand Americans would justify an exception??

I'm sure that he has all sorts of investigations underway on Donald Trump, but the way Barr's memo works is that he has to give written permission before any charges are brought for those politicians who are running for office. Federal prosecutors lower on the totem pole no longer have independent authority to bring charges in which they think they have a chance at a successful prosecution. They have to "avoid the appearance" of having a political motive in bringing charges, even if the evidence appears overwhelming. Investigations can go on forever, if no charges are brought, and the statute of limitations is expiring all the time on some of the crimes that Trump could be charged with. Because he has a lifelong habit of flaunting the law and usually (but not always) getting away with it. Garland strikes me as an AG who could spend a lifetime investigating Trump, marveling at the mountain of evidence, and following up every lead until the end.

I also wonder if Dems have agreed they want Trump to be the fascist candidate.

I don't think any Dem wants that, including Biden. Not even Garland, although I don't know his political affiliation. However, a lot of moderate Dems would rather not have the distraction of a controversial trial of a former president to soak up all those news cycles while so many other broken things need to be fixed. Barrack Obama was famous for that, which is why he was called "No Drama Obama."

Some Dems do think that Trump is good for them, so they would prefer he not be knocked out of the picture completely. Rachel Maddow seems to think that him declaring himself a Republican presidential candidate in 2024 would actually hurt Republican chances to take over one or both houses of Congress. I don't share her opinion.

I think I heard Nicole Wallace expressing astonishment that Republicans aren’t begging him to stay the hell out of the way for the midterms, and speculating that they might well be doing so in private.

Florida Rep. Stephanie Murphy, a Democratic member of the Jan 6. panel, said the Secret Service acknowledged the erasure in a letter Tuesday, detailing how agency phones were migrated to a new system in the weeks after the 2021 attack.

Murphy said the agency left it up to individual agents to decide what electronic records to keep and what to delete during the process.

“Nobody along the way stopped and thought, ‘well, maybe we shouldn’t do the migration of data and of the devices until we are able to fulfill these four requests from Congress,’” Murphy said on MSNBC.

The deletion of the messages has raised the prospect of lost evidence that could shed further light on then-President Donald Trump’s actions during the insurrection, particularly after testimony about his confrontation with security as he tried to join supporters at the Capitol.

You know, 1/6 was pretty fucked up. The idea that the Secret Service might have conspired as part of it... I can't wrap my head around that.

You know, 1/6 was pretty fucked up. The idea that the Secret Service might have conspired as part of it... I can't wrap my head around that.
I'm trying to figure out which part regarding the Secret Service was more fucked up.

On the one hand, there's the part where they had the President in the SUV and refused to take him to the Capitol. That's...good? On the other hand, they seem to have very much wanted to spirit Pence away from the Hill so that someone else could step in and take over the electoral vote count. That's bad. Now there's the "dog ate my homework" excuse. That's...really?

I'm trying to figure out which part regarding the Secret Service was more fucked up.

On the one hand, there's the part where they had the President in the SUV and refused to take him to the Capitol. That's...good?

These guys are total cowboys, answering to nobody. The only thing that gives them pause is that a President could get hurt or killed while they allow him to do shit outside of security protocol’s. That would get them in deep shit.

On the other hand, they seem to have very much wanted to spirit Pence away from the Hill so that someone else could step in and take over the electoral vote count.

No risk to either of their charges (POTUS or VP), so no risk to them in doing that. And if the fascist overthrow plot succeeds, so much the better.

That's bad. Now there's the "dog ate my homework" excuse. That's...really?

Why not go with that? It’s not like anyone can do anything about it (as far as they know).
The USSS seriously needs to be disbanded and re-formed without the fascists.

Florida Rep. Stephanie Murphy, a Democratic member of the Jan 6. panel, said the Secret Service acknowledged the erasure in a letter Tuesday, detailing how agency phones were migrated to a new system in the weeks after the 2021 attack.

Murphy said the agency left it up to individual agents to decide what electronic records to keep and what to delete during the process.

“Nobody along the way stopped and thought, ‘well, maybe we shouldn’t do the migration of data and of the devices until we are able to fulfill these four requests from Congress,’” Murphy said on MSNBC.

The deletion of the messages has raised the prospect of lost evidence that could shed further light on then-President Donald Trump’s actions during the insurrection, particularly after testimony about his confrontation with security as he tried to join supporters at the Capitol.

At that point, Tony Ornato had broken precedent by joining the White House from the Secret Service as a political appointee, embroiling the Secret Service in politics. This went against all past practice, which was to keep the SS completely outside of politics. Ornato then moved back to the SS after Trump left office.

It is possible that the deleted texts came from White House officials ordering the SS to keep Trump from going to the Capitol, and the hierarchy of the SS did not want evidence of that to come out. Apparently, the SS also broke the established procedure for preserving records. They should have backed up all texts before any migration to a new system. The explicit order allowing agents to decide on their own what to keep would have directly violated the order to preserve records, and it is extremely implausible that they weren't aware of the order to preserve records when they issued it. In doing so, they made a lot of their agents complicit in the violation of the National Archives order. The agents who deleted their records were probably well aware that they were supposed to be preserved, and they had the option to preserve them. They did not. Not a single agent--not even Ornato--chose that option, apparently.

The DOJ have rested in their case against Steve Bannon. Only two days and two witnesses have been brought to testify.

I've got a question about the deleted Secret Service texts. How is that not destruction of Federal Property?

I've got a question about the deleted Secret Service texts. How is that not destruction of Federal Property?
Not "property" I think as much "records", which destruction of those is also a notably big problem.

Yeah, someone is scrabbling for the dog that ate their homework right now.

The plan. Bannon is screwed and knows it. His arrogant non-ccoperation plays well with his fans. He will be found guilty, sent to the pokey for a year or so, and fined. When he gets out he will play the martyr and beg for bucks from his dupes. He will get louder, stupider, more obnoxious and will make money on "Owning the libs!". Bannon has no shame. His fans have no brains.

I was a federal employee. We had annual training on this very topic. Fed employees are not required to retain all correspondence. Only work related. It is a judgement call for the individual.

Why everything on a government device is not auto archived is the question to be asked.

The plan. Bannon is screwed and knows it. His arrogant non-ccoperation plays well with his fans. He will be found guilty, sent to the pokey for a year or so, and fined. When he gets out he will play the martyr and beg for bucks from his dupes. He will get louder, stupider, more obnoxious and will make money on "Owning the libs!". Bannon has no shame. His fans have no brains.
Is he allowed to wear two shirts in prison?

Much was made of George W. Bush continuing to read "My Pet Goat" as he learned of the attack on New York on 9/11. As much as I dislike Dubya and what he did subsequently, I believe that on that morning his thought process was something like "okay...my country is under attack. I'm reading to elementary school kids. Stay cool. Once you get out of here, you can get to work. Stay cool."

On January 6th, Trump watched the Capitol being attacked and he said "cool."

433262d9f7156d731.png

Nice Freudian slip!
biggrin.gif

Much was made of George W. Bush continuing to read "My Pet Goat" as he learned of the attack on New York on 9/11. As much as I dislike Dubya and what he did subsequently, I believe that on that morning his thought process was something like "okay...my country is under attack. I'm reading to elementary school kids. Stay cool. Once you get out of here, you can get to work. Stay cool."

On January 6th, Trump watched the Capitol being attacked and he said "cool."
One thing, Bush wasn't reading to the kids. The teacher was, he was just listening, then picked up a book to follow along after he had been told.

Back
Top Bottom