• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Jebus! Trump quadrupling down on rhetoric against Democrats.

While Woodrow Wilson was insensitive to the feelings of African-Americans, he was not a member of the KKK.

But then neither is Donald Trump, so maybe the two men are practically identical.

Wilson still has better hair...

… and a better approach to resolving international conflicts.

Flawed, yes. But better than Trump's.

World War One is the biggest foreign policy screw up the US ever got involved in. There is no worse example. There is no way any of the faux pass of Trump compare.

Unless you think not going to war is a bad thing.

By the way, Wilson was more than "insensitive". He re-segregated the government.

Trump racist tweets: Democrat Elijah Cummings says constituents are ‘scared’ of president | The Independent - ‘I have never in my total of 37 years in public service – ever, heard a constituent say that they were scared of their leader’

Rep. Elijah Cummings is the head of the House Oversight Committee.
“What I’m hearing over and over again from my constituents, is ‘please save our democracy, please save our country,’” Mr Cummings said. “And you know something else they say George? They say ‘I’m scared.’”

He added, “I have never in my total of 37 years in public service – ever, heard a constituent say that they were scared of their leader.”

When asked if he believed the president was racist, Mr Cummings said, “Yes. No doubt about it.”

He added, “I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I got to tell you George … when I think about what [Mr Trump] said to these young ladies who are merely trying to bring excellence to government and trying to make sure that generations yet unborn have an opportunity to experience a true democracy, when I hear those things it takes me back.”
He recalled similar taunts from his childhood.
“I could not help but think about when I was 11 years old, trying to integrate ... We were taunted. Stones were thrown at us. Bottles. They said the same words. They said, ‘Go back to your neighbourhood. Go back to where you came from.’”

I used to work in US intelligence advising presidents on risk. The biggest threat to our country today is the Republican Party | The Independent
Let me say it again: the Republican Party is the biggest threat the United States is facing. And without proper attribution, recognition, and a well-articulated and implemented counter-strategy, it could be terminal.

The Republican Party has steadily embraced authoritarianism, suspect electoral tactics, and racism more and more over the past few decades. That process has been turbocharged with Trump at the helm of the party.

We’re now seeing an explicit embrace of white supremacy. Denial in the face of climate change. Deliberate sowing of discord within the FBI and the CIA. Weakening of the rule of law. Brazen criminality. Removing funding for elections oversight. Blatant human rights abuses at the border.

The explicit nature of these acts is the point. The Republicans mean to bludgeon any and all resistance to their reshaping of the nation’s institutions to their will.

And so far, they’ve gotten away with it.

White-House-ONLINE-COLOR-768x508.jpg

By the way, Wilson was more than "insensitive". He re-segregated the government.

That's true. He allowed some of his Cabinet members to segregate their Departments.

He still wasn't a Klan member though, was he.

Allowed? It was more than him saying "go ahead" to some racist cabinet members. It was some of his staff resigning due to him insisting they do that to their agencies.

But as has been pointed out, the hoods worn at their meetings make positive identification difficult. We do know they more than approved of him.

‘He has a lot of vitriol for them’: Omarosa says Trump has a particular ‘disdain’ for women of color – Raw Story
She is a black woman who had worked with Donald Trump for a long time, and she claims that he never told any white person to go back to their country of origin.
“He reserves that only for people of color,” she said. “You’ll notice, Rev, that he particularly has a lot of animosity and disdain for women of color. From Maxine Waters, to myself, to reporters who criticize him who are women of color. He has a lot of vitriol for them.”

“A combination of race and gender that really makes him go off,” Sharpton remarked. “Now, do you think this is an unrehearsed just this is who he is or is there a political strategy to this?”
She suspects that it is part of a political strategy for the campaign.
“I think it’s very difficult for any Republican, black, white, or purple, to support a president who has spewed these ugly racial slurs and continues to attack women of color in Congress, women of color who served him,” Newman said.

Trump’s racist attacks on Dem lawmakers are a test run in case he faces Kamala Harris in 2020: MSNBC contributor – Raw Story
But I doubt that he is that much of a strategic thinker.

Trump attacks 'the Squad' as 'racist group of troublemakers'

Orange Man said:
The “Squad” is a very Racist group of troublemakers who are young, inexperienced, and not very smart. They are pulling the once great Democrat Party far left, and were against humanitarian aid at the Border...And are now against ICE and Homeland Security. So bad for our Country!

Orange Man said:
I don't believe the four Congresswomen are capable of loving our Country. They should apologize to America (and Israel) for the horrible (hateful) things they have said. They are destroying the Democrat Party, but are weak & insecure people who can never destroy our great Nation!

Is his concern for the Democratic Party an example of "concern troll", like when he came to the defense of Nancy Pelosi against the Squad in the tweet that started this recent bonfire?

The humor in this exchange is now off the charts. Wow.

Rep. Deb Haaland, D-NM
Rep. Deb Haaland on Twitter: "When I heard a room of people yelling, “send her back” to one of my colleagues, I thought about the audacity of this President & the fact that he clearly doesn't know this country's history. My @nytimes OPED explains my reaction as a Native American woman: https://t.co/FfDUxcMeKQ" / Twitter
about her Op-Ed
Opinion | Trump Wants Immigrants to ‘Go Back.’ Native Americans Don’t. - The New York Times - "The president and his followers lack authority to tell anyone to leave this country because they are not indigenous to this land."

pResident tRump's father's parents are from Germany and his mother is from Scotland. So he's half-German, half-Scot -- a mutt.

He also does not seem to have told his first wife to go back to where she came from.

Siemens CEO calls out Trump's racism - CNN
"I find it depressing that the most important political office in the world is turning into the face of racism and exclusion," Joe Kaeser said Saturday on Twitter.

London (CNN Business)The CEO of German industrial giant Siemens says that President Donald Trump is becoming a symbol of intolerance following his attacks on four female members of Congress.
"I find it depressing that the most important political office in the world is turning into the face of racism and exclusion," Joe Kaeser said Saturday on Twitter.

Kaeser suggested that Trump's attacks do not reflect the America he knows. He worked as chief financial officer of Siemens Microelectronics in San Jose, California, during the 1990s.
"I lived in the USA for many years and experienced freedom, tolerance and openness as never before," he said in his Twitter (TWTR) post.

Many corporate leaders expressed optimism in the early days of the Trump administration that they could find common ground with a president who had run a business of his own and who wanted to cut corporate taxes and slash regulations. But the administration's focus on immigration and other divisive social issues, combined with its aggressive prosecution of a trade war with China, has soured the White House's relationship with many big global companies.
Kaeser, 62, who started work at Siemens in 1980 and become CEO in 2013, has demonstrated a willingness to speak frankly on controversial political issues.

"I'm there to represent the company and be accountable to the shareholders; on the other hand, if people turn their head away. ... Well, we had that time in Germany," Kaeser told the Financial Times in May 2018.
Rede in Greenville: Trump attackiert Demokratin Omar - ZDFmediathek
Rede in Greenville - Trump attackiert Demokratin Omar

Datum: 18.07.2019 06:28 Uhr

Trump hatte in den vergangenen Tagen mehrfach vier Demokratinnen attackiert und wurde dafür als rassistisch kritisiert. Jetzt legt er in einer Wahlkampfrede nach.

Speech in Greenville - Trump attacks Democrat Omar

Date: 18.07.2019 06:28 clock

Trump had repeatedly attacked four Democrats in recent days and was criticized for being racist. Now he submits in a campaign speech.
Ruprecht Polenz on Twitter: "„Send her back, send her back“ - wenn das Schule macht, müssen wir auf einmal noch Trump zurücknehmen. [url]https://t.co/yBc5V0GpzC https://t.co/yBc5V0GpzC" / Twitter[/url]
"Send back, send her back" - when school is doing, we have to suddenly take Trump back.
Joe Kaeser on Twitter: "@polenz_r Das Rücknahme-Risiko besteht wohl nicht. Aber es bedrückt mich, dass das wichtigste pol. Amt der Welt das Gesicht von Rassismus und Ausgrenzung wird. Ich habe viele Jahre in USA gelebt und Freiheit, Toleranz und Offenheit erfahren, wie nie zuvor. Das war „America Great at work“!!" / Twitter
The redemption risk is probably not. But it depresses me that the most important pole. Office of the World will be the face of racism and exclusion. I have lived in USA for many years, experiencing freedom, tolerance and openness as never before. That was "America Great at Work" !!

Donald Trump on racism and the Squad: 'It's not me, it's you'
President Donald Trump made a familiar move Monday: Accuse someone else of something he has come under fire for doing.

Charged with racism for his attacks on four minority House Democrats, Trump tweeted that the lawmakers known as the "Squad" are "very racist," as well as "troublemakers who are young, inexperienced, and not very smart."
Donald J. Trump on Twitter: "The “Squad” is a very Racist group of troublemakers who are young, inexperienced, and not very smart. They are pulling the once great Democrat Party far left, and were against humanitarian aid at the Border...And are now against ICE and Homeland Security. So bad for our Country!" / Twitter

This is after his aides went on record to deny that his attacks have anything to do with race.
"I fundamentally disagree with the view that if you criticize somebody and they happen to be a different color skin, that that makes it racial criticism," White House senior aide Stephen Miller said on Fox News Sunday.

Miller also said Democrats use the term "racist" to "silence and punish and suppress people they disagree with, speech they don't want to hear."
He has done that before, like
The most famous example: In a 2016 debate, Democratic opponent Hillary Clinton described Trump as a "puppet" for Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Trump replied: “No puppet. No puppet. You’re the puppet!”

Angela Merkel criticizes Trump and stands in 'solidarity' with congresswomen he attacked - CNN
German Chancellor Angela Merkel said Friday that US President Donald Trump's racist comments about four Democratic Congresswomen "undermine America's strength" and that she stands in "solidarity" with the women.

Speaking at her annual news conference in Berlin, Merkel said: "I distance myself from this decidedly and stand in solidarity with the women who were attacked."

She added that from her perspective the "US's strength lies exactly in the fact that people of very different nationalities contribute to the strength of the American people."

"Those (President Trump's statements) are sentiments which are very much in opposition to my impressions (about the US) which I strongly believe in and it is something that undermines America's strength," Merkel said.

Earlier in the week, a spokesman for UK Prime Minister Theresa May also criticized the comments, describing them as "completely unacceptable." The two candidates in line to replace May as British Prime Minister -- Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt -- joined her in that criticism.
International leaders who have condemned Trump's racist tweets - Business Insider
During a news conference on July 15, Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Trump's tweets were "not how we do things in Canada." He added: "A Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian, and the diversity of our country is actually one of our greatest strengths and a source of tremendous resilience and pride for Canadians. We will continue to defend that.”

A representative for United Kingdom Prime Minister Theresa May said on July 15 that Trump's language was "completely unacceptable." It is May's strongest criticism of Trump to date.

On July 16, New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern told Radio New Zealand, "Usually I don't get into other people's politics, but it will be clear to most people that I completely and utterly disagree with him." She said she was proud that New Zealand took the opposite view to Trump. "Our Parliament should be a representative place; it should look and feel like New Zealand."

On July 19, Germany's Chancellor Angela Merkel said she distances herself from Trump's comments and "stands in solidarity" with the congresswomen Trump "attacked." "In my view, the strength of America lies in that people from different (origins) contributed to what makes the country great."

First Minister of Scotland Nicola Sturgeon tweeted saying Trump's actions were not okay. "Diplomatic politeness should not stop us saying so, loudly and clearly," she said.

European Council President Donald Tusk also took to Twitter after attending a summit in Canada. "I feel at home in Montreal for many reasons. Also because, I didn't hear anyone shouting 'SEND HIM BACK!'"
DW Politics on Twitter: "A reporter asked if Merkel stands with the US congresswomen of color who were verbally attacked by Donald Trump. Her answer was clear and brief: https://t.co/1cvjdBREQG" / Twitter
Without question, I reject (Trump's racist comments) and stand in solidarity with the congresswomen he targeted.

Nicola Sturgeon on Twitter: "The President of the United States telling elected politicians - or any other Americans for that matter - to ‘go back’ to other countries is not OK, and diplomatic politeness should not stop us saying so, loudly and clearly. https://t.co/HorD7wQOvP" / Twitter

Donald Tusk on Twitter: "I feel at home in Montreal for many reasons. Also because, I didn’t hear anyone shouting “SEND HIM BACK!”" / Twitter

“The Squad” maintains civility and composure against Trump’s attacks - Vox - "The congresswomen of color face extra pressure to “go high” and not take the bait."

The four women "have responded to Trump’s unrelenting and violent onslaught with assertive civility, never hesitating to defend themselves but refusing to take the bait."
To wit, Trump routinely engages in public fits of rage, encourages physical violence against critics, and turns reality on its head by smearing his targets as “angry” and dangerous. Meanwhile, conservative and far-right media, not to mention Trump himself, falsely portray the Squad as hateful and threatening. Such rampant misrepresentation of reality and psychological manipulation has a name: gaslighting.

As I’ve argued in my book How to Be Less Stupid About Race, white supremacist racism validates expressions of rage and violence on the part of whites, especially white men, while depicting racial “others” as menacing threats. White men (themselves the product of immigration and colonization) are traditionally allowed to engage in virulent critique of the United States, encourage violent rebellion, and even launch a civil war — without being told, as a matter of course, to “love it or leave it.”
What are his Republican enablers thinking? When will they lose patience with it? Will Mitch McConnell ever loudly say anything like this?

"Don, I have been saving your fucking ass month after month, year after year, ever since you were elected. And look at what you've done! You've made us look like Nazis and Ku Klux Klan. I want a Republican Party that is the party of Abraham Lincoln, not the party of Adolf Hitler!"

Trump was all about tweets criticizing America — until he became president - Vox

Trump now: Criticizing America is unpatriotic.
Trump then: America “is going to HELL.”
Life comes at you fast.
Now that he’s president, Donald Trump is insistent that criticizing America or him — especially if you’re a Democratic congresswoman of color — is somehow beyond the pale. Alluding to such critiques on Friday afternoon, he said, “you can’t talk that way about our country. Not when I’m the president.”

On Sunday, Trump explicitly conflated criticizing America with unpatriotic behavior, tweeting, “I don’t believe the four Congresswomen are capable of loving our country” and characterizing them as “weak & insecure people who can never destroy our great nation” — as though duly elected members of Congress somehow stand apart from the nation they serve.

The irony, however, is that before he became president, Trump was an outspoken critic of America in general, and President Barack Obama in particular.

Trump did the very thing he’s (falsely) accused AOC of doing

Donald J. Trump on Twitter: "The United States, under President Obama, has truly become the "gang that couldn't shoot straight." Everything he touches turns to garbage!" / Twitter

Donald J. Trump on Twitter: ""@stmarie: @realDonaldTrump Sick!!! This country is going to shit! We need real people to run this country. So get moving!"" / Twitter

Donald J. Trump on Twitter: "We are rebuilding other countries while our own country is going to HELL. Time to rebuild the U.S.A.! Tell our stupid politicians, ENOUGH" / Twitter

Donald J. Trump on Twitter: "Remember, politicians are all talk and NO action. Our country is a laughing stock that is going to hell. The lobbyists & donors control all!" / Twitter

He was a big advocate of birtherism, the theory that Barack Obama was not born in the US.

Aaron Rupar on Twitter: "CNN put together a montage of Trump -- who now that he's president thinks criticizing America is an unpatriotic thing to do -- saying things like, "how stupid are the people of Iowa? How stupid are the people of the country?" https://t.co/iNrUHOXfqu" / Twitter

When someone mentioned Vladimir Putin, he seemed almost like Noam Chomsky.

FoxNewsSunday on Twitter: "EXCLUSIVE: Stephen Miller, Senior White House Policy Adviser on Fox News Sunday talks to Chris about the difference in President Trump and the Squad https://t.co/Hy7zVPkZnJ" / Twitter
SM tried to argue that DT represents Western Civilization while AOC and her friends don't.

The US has never ever had a leader like this before.

Sure, he isn't telling his followers to go out and kill liberals. The problem is, I don't know how many of them would not... if he did so. 30% of our nation seems to be living in a 1930's pro-fascist world.

Actually, there was a president who was an actual member of the KKK and explicitly racist. It was a century ago though.

Also, he did put journalists and political opponents in jail.

which president ?Wilson?

Trump has recently taken aim at Rep. Elijah Cummings of Baltimore MD and the head of the Oversight Committee. On July 27:

Donald J. Trump on Twitter: "Rep, Elijah Cummings has been a brutal bully, shouting and screaming at the great men & women of Border Patrol about conditions at the Southern Border, when actually his Baltimore district is FAR WORSE and more dangerous. His district is considered the Worst in the USA......" / Twitter

Donald J. Trump on Twitter: "....As proven last week during a Congressional tour, the Border is clean, efficient & well run, just very crowded. Cumming District is a disgusting, rat and rodent infested mess. If he spent more time in Baltimore, maybe he could help clean up this very dangerous & filthy place" / Twitter

On July 29:

Donald J. Trump on Twitter: "Baltimore’s numbers are the worst in the United States on Crime and the Economy. Billions of dollars have been pumped in over the years, but to no avail. The money was stolen or wasted. Ask Elijah Cummings where it went. He should investigate himself with his Oversight Committee!" / Twitter

Trump claims — without evidence — that attacks on Cummings, Baltimore have fueled African American support - POLITICO

Pelosi calls Kushner a 'slumlord' as she defends Cummings - POLITICO
“The president — this comes as no surprise — really doesn’t know what he’s talking about. But maybe you could ask his son-in-law, who’s a slumlord there, if he wants to talk about rodent infestations,” Pelosi said of Kushner.

Kushner’s real estate firm owns thousands of apartments in the Baltimore area and has been dogged by hundreds of code violations — including black mold and mice infestations — for years.

Donald J. Trump on Twitter: "Really bad news! The Baltimore house of Elijah Cummings was robbed. Too bad!" / Twitter

Which provoked

Nikki Haley on Twitter: "@realDonaldTrump This is so unnecessary. 🙄" / Twitter

Early in 2016, she stated
Gov. Nikki Haley says Donald Trump’s behavior ‘unacceptable’ | Palmetto Politics | postandcourier.com
“Donald Trump is everything we teach our kids not to do in kindergarten,” Haley said. “We have seen behavior over and over again that is just unacceptable.”
However, she was DT's UN ambassador for a while.

Back
Top Bottom