• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Jesus and Bigfoot

T.G.G. Moogly

Traditional Atheist
Basic Beliefs
egalitarian
I woke up this morning with the thought of how similar these two phenomena are. We have lots of people telling lots of stories. In the case of Bigfoot we have lots of witnesses giving testimony as to what they saw and we have tons of pictures with accounts of hairy beasts throughout history and across cultures. We even have live footage.

We don't have nearly the same amount of evidence for Jesus, largely because the events surrounding his sightings occurred so long ago and because a religion grew up and became powerful enough to have lots of evidence destroyed or left to rot. But the type of evidence we have is similar.

Is it crazy to think of the two phenomena similarly?

I don't think it's crazy.

I've wondered if Jesus could be similarly compared to Uncle Sam. What first started out as a concept or ideal was anthropomorphized into an mythical individual, after which he came to be believed as a real person.

First, though, some clarifiers:
1- Has Bigfoot's image appeared in the wood grain pattern of a shack owned by hillbillies?
2- Does Bigfoot get a major stiffy over the wailing & the gnashing of teeth?
3- Has anyone gotten a clear enough snap or selfie to see if Bigfoot is circumcised?
4- Does Bigfoot have a mama who shows up in visions?

There are some job requirements.

Maybe what's holding back Bigfoot is that it's not religiously connected or a matter of national or personal identity. Bigfoot didn't teach in any temples. If Bigfoot had been able to get himself killed for all the other Bigfoots (I know) we'd probably be looking for the actual cave where Bigfoot grew up, just like we're doing with Jesus' house in Nazareth. There's be a lot of Bigfoot converts. But Bigfoot just runs around making tracks and is seen in grainy pictures and videos. Bigfoot needs to do something to break out.

Seriously, however, I actually see the two things quite similarly.

But the type of evidence we have is similar.
I dunno about that.... I had a book of Bigfoot encounters and they were rife with details. "John and Betty Schmitz were camping in upper Michigan when..."
Or "Paul Fritz was a Bigfoot skeptic until one night in June, 1971..."

To be similar to Jesus evidence, it would be a lot more vague. "One year, fifty scouts at a camp in the Idaho Panhandle witnessed...." or "And the Bigfoot came down the northern side of the mountain, which had been treed, so he was quite visible to the crowd of campers at that Wyoming campground..." But no names, no years, no clues to track down the witnesses....

I don't think it is crazy at all given Jesus is Bigfoot.

b977ebe0c7df7692b18d8b371b6ae817.jpg

Considering Christianity evolved from an old primate religion who can argue that Jesus is not Bigfoot AND we got photos!

I woke up this morning with the thought of how similar these two phenomena are. We have lots of people telling lots of stories. In the case of Bigfoot we have lots of witnesses giving testimony as to what they saw and we have tons of pictures with accounts of hairy beasts throughout history and across cultures. We even have live footage.

We don't have nearly the same amount of evidence for Jesus, largely because the events surrounding his sightings occurred so long ago and because a religion grew up and became powerful enough to have lots of evidence destroyed or left to rot. But the type of evidence we have is similar.

It's not odd at all.

Jesus is an evidence-free non-falsifiable claim.

Of course it's going to have similarities with every other evidence-free (or evidence-deficient) non-falsifiable claim. It's not just bigfoot. It's also every single one of the 8000+ other gods from all the other religions, it's also every single fictional god (since the authors could have been accidentally correct), faeries, elves, vampires, djinn, goblins, Chupacabra, the boogeyman, Russel's teapot, trolls, and skull-juggling psychic were-walruses who live on Pluto. It even includes any non-falsifiable claims I make up in the future.

But the type of evidence we have is similar.
I dunno about that.... I had a book of Bigfoot encounters and they were rife with details. "John and Betty Schmitz were camping in upper Michigan when..."
Or "Paul Fritz was a Bigfoot skeptic until one night in June, 1971..."

To be similar to Jesus evidence, it would be a lot more vague. "One year, fifty scouts at a camp in the Idaho Panhandle witnessed...." or "And the Bigfoot came down the northern side of the mountain, which had been treed, so he was quite visible to the crowd of campers at that Wyoming campground..." But no names, no years, no clues to track down the witnesses....

It would also have to be written down decades or centuries after the supposed event, and include evidence that the accounts have been altered by lots of people. Also, it would have to conflict with other similarly bad accounts in the same document.

Back
Top Bottom