• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Jesus Christ, Made In Our Likeness

For me, jesus is in the image of the periodic table. To me, the PT is like a still picture. "I and the father are one", some 17 fields and 4 forces (so far). Its a representation of a series of events. But hey, I have to remember that I and my group are the only real "hole-ly" ones so everybody else comes up short.

For me, jesus is in the image of the periodic table. To me, the PT is like a still picture. "I and the father are one", some 17 fields and 4 forces (so far). Its a representation of a series of events. But hey, I have to remember that I and my group are the only real "hole-ly" ones so everybody else comes up short.
The Periodic Table isn't just a picture, it's a map.

It describes a real territory, and it was originally useful as an aid to explorers seeking to fill in the unknowns, and is now a guide to the ways in which atomic electron shells interact, and why. It provides the starting point for more detailed explorations of such things as isotopes, radioactivity, and the other three forces, though it directly addresses none of these in any detail (The relative atomic masses that formed an important part of its development are aggregate masses, for example, and only hint at the array of stable isotopes found in nature).

If you think that the periodic table is like a still picture, then you have understood neither its origins, nor its current and past uses. In its earliest form, it showed the areas that were known, and directed us to the unknown areas still to be mapped. Since then it has been used to guide more detailed analysis of its interesting features (Why is Technetium 'missing'? Why does the table get wider and wider the further you go up in Atomic number? What happens at the end, and how far can we extend the table? Is there an 'island of stability' beyond the known heaviest elements? Where does Hydrogen fit, and why? ...). Each question leads to more discoveries, and more and better questions that are tied back to real world phenomena that, before the Periodic Table, were mysterious - but many of which are now understood.

Jesus is just gossipy hearsay. A set of stories about alleged acts of an alleged individual. It's about as useful for understanding reality as watching The Days of Our Lives or The Bold and the Beautiful. And any questions raised are never going to be definitively answered, as everyone involved is long dead.

Back
Top Bottom