• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Jimmy Carter

Intern nothing. A person born on the day the Berlin Wall came down is 34 years old today, and will be 35 in November.

The Cold War is history. Even if some of us lived through it.

Shit, there are adults walking around today who weren't yet born on 9/11, and whose parents weren't yet born when the Berlin Wall came down. Babies are being born right now whose grandparents were born after the Cold War ended.

You should write birthday cards.

Intern nothing. A person born on the day the Berlin Wall came down is 34 years old today, and will be 35 in November.

The Cold War is history. Even if some of us lived through it.

Shit, there are adults walking around today who weren't yet born on 9/11, and whose parents weren't yet born when the Berlin Wall came down. Babies are being born right now whose grandparents were born after the Cold War ended.

Starting a thread on this in the Lounge…

And there was definitely subversion across the globe by the Americans and Soviets. An elephant couldn't fart in Africa without the two taking opposing positions.
Well, considering that West was trying to hold on their colonies, murdering democratically elected presidents, it was not that hard for USSR to offer their help.
Yes the USSR would rather murder the undemocratically appointed presdients.

She was born after the Berlin Wall came down, and didn't get the joke. To her that was "history." That's kinda the person Barbie is targeting with the propaganda. People who don't realize that the Iron Curtain was not just built to keep western countries out, but to keep the "comrades" in.
A lot of older people didn't really know what the world was like. The idea of getting the thin passport is pretty alien to me--I had always pictured it as for the people making a one-time trip, any real traveler needs the thick version. I got a fair surprise when a friend was only getting the thin version despite doing a decent amount of travel--because so many first world countries don't stamp anymore. I have done very little first world travel, I'm still used to figuring a page per country.

And there was definitely subversion across the globe by the Americans and Soviets. An elephant couldn't fart in Africa without the two taking opposing positions.
Well, considering that West was trying to hold on their colonies, murdering democratically elected presidents, it was not that hard for USSR to offer their help.
Yes the USSR would rather murder the undemocratically appointed presdients.
US does that too, and much more than anyone.

Jimmy Carter’s grandson gives update on his condition | The Independent - "The 39th president of the United States has been in hospice care since 2023"
noting
It Always Comes Back To Plains, Jimmy Carter’s Grandson Says In Update On President In Final Days - “It is the only place where he would go through this part of his life.”
Jason, 48, the oldest of Jimmy and Rosalynn’s 22 grandchildren, told Southern Living Wednesday that the 99 year old is simply “experiencing the world as best he can as he continues through this process”
His wide Rosalynn died late last year.
“After 77 years of marriage… I just think none of us really understand what it’s like for him right now,” Jason says. “We have to embrace that fact, that there’s things about the spirit that you just can’t understand.”

At this point, Jimmy isn’t awake every day. Jason says his aunt and uncles visit frequently, though they never know what kind of day their father is going to have.

“I told him, I said: ‘Pawpaw, you know, when people ask me how you’re doing I say, ‘honestly I don’t know,’” Jason recalls. “And he kind of smiled and he said ‘I don’t know, myself.’”

“It was pretty sweet,” he says.
JC went into hospice care in February of 2023, and he has stayed alive for all the 16 months since then.

What kept him alive? His connections to the people of his hometown, Plains. Like in Jimmy And Rosalynn Carter Make Rare Public Appearance At Peanut Festival In Plains, Georgia - September 26, 2023 - "The former president, who entered hospice care in February, and his wife of 77 years made a surprise visit to the Plains Peanut Festival on Saturday."

Great man, I am glad he isn't suffering. Jimmy Carter is up in the ranks of Best Americans with Mister Fred Rogers. Peaceful, kind man, walked the walk.

Jimmy Carter’s grandson gives update on his condition | The Independent - "The 39th president of the United States has been in hospice care since 2023"
noting
It Always Comes Back To Plains, Jimmy Carter’s Grandson Says In Update On President In Final Days - “It is the only place where he would go through this part of his life.”
Jason, 48, the oldest of Jimmy and Rosalynn’s 22 grandchildren, told Southern Living Wednesday that the 99 year old is simply “experiencing the world as best he can as he continues through this process”
His wide Rosalynn died late last year.
“After 77 years of marriage… I just think none of us really understand what it’s like for him right now,” Jason says. “We have to embrace that fact, that there’s things about the spirit that you just can’t understand.”

At this point, Jimmy isn’t awake every day. Jason says his aunt and uncles visit frequently, though they never know what kind of day their father is going to have.

“I told him, I said: ‘Pawpaw, you know, when people ask me how you’re doing I say, ‘honestly I don’t know,’” Jason recalls. “And he kind of smiled and he said ‘I don’t know, myself.’”

“It was pretty sweet,” he says.
JC went into hospice care in February of 2023, and he has stayed alive for all the 16 months since then.
All of them you say. ;)
What kept him alive? His connections to the people of his hometown, Plains. Like in Jimmy And Rosalynn Carter Make Rare Public Appearance At Peanut Festival In Plains, Georgia - September 26, 2023 - "The former president, who entered hospice care in February, and his wife of 77 years made a surprise visit to the Plains Peanut Festival on Saturday."
That isn't what kept him alive. It'd be the muscles and nerve impulses in his brain. Plenty of people had connections and fell off the Earth.

That isn't what kept him alive. It'd be the muscles and nerve impulses in his brain. Plenty of people had connections and fell off the Earth.
:rolleyes: Way to deny his and everyone's basic humanity. ugh. :rolleyesa:🙄:rolleyes2:

:rolleyes: Way to deny his and everyone's basic humanity. ugh. :rolleyesa:🙄:rolleyes2:
What are you talking about?

Jimmy Carter still alive because of community connections, but his wife isn't? It is nonsensical new age / spiritual woo. And calling it as such isn't dehumanizing Jimmy Carter.

Does JC really want to keep hanging in there? From seeing him at his wife's funeral, he looks really feeble and I have a hard time really believing he wants to just lay there all day and keep going as long as possible. Usually when people are at his stage of life and with his physical condition they want to just get it over with. And he's a hard core Christian, so I imagine he would want to join Rosalyn up in heaven. So, if the people of Plains are the ones who are keeping him alive, maybe they ought to back off a little and just let him go. ;)

It's silly to pretend to know why/how someone is "hanging on" unless you're providing medical care, and even then, you're facing intangibles. The most dramatic day in Presidential health alerts was July 4, 1826, the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration, and the death date of our 2nd and 3rd Presidents, Adams and Jefferson. In that case, you could credibly theorize that making it to the great observance kept both men alive in their final illnesses. With Carter, he's got good genes, health habits undoubtedly better than his brother Billy's, longtime commitments to his church and social work -- and, if you reach age 99, you've experienced so much loss that you've learned to put it in perspective and endure. But Jimmy himself probably can't synthesize an explanation for how he's lived this long.
As mere guesswork, I would not discount the proteins, antioxdants, biotin, phosphorus, and the anti-heart disease qualities in magnesium and niacin, all of them found in the humble peanut.

It's silly to pretend to know why/how someone is "hanging on" unless you're providing medical care, and even then, you're facing intangibles. The most dramatic day in Presidential health alerts was July 4, 1826, the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration, and the death date of our 2nd and 3rd Presidents, Adams and Jefferson. In that case, you could credibly theorize that making it to the great observance kept both men alive in their final illnesses. With Carter, he's got good genes, health habits undoubtedly better than his brother Billy's, longtime commitments to his church and social work -- and, if you reach age 99, you've experienced so much loss that you've learned to put it in perspective and endure. But Jimmy himself probably can't synthesize an explanation for how he's lived this long.
As mere guesswork, I would not discount the proteins, antioxdants, biotin, phosphorus, and the anti-heart disease qualities in magnesium and niacin, all of them found in the humble peanut.
Another theory about Adams and Jefferson I recall hearing is that at the end of their lives, they hated each other with a passion. And each was determined to outlive the other out of spite during the last days of their lives. In fact, one of the last things said by one of the two (I forget which one) was a question about whether the other ex-pres was still alive. :D Even great ex presidents can behave like spiteful children sometimes, it seems.

I've read the exact opposite -- political foes in their career years, then reconciled over decades of correspondence. Their voluminous letters back and forth have been published.

So is anyone able to support Jimmy Carter's favorite charitable org, Habitat for Humanity, now?

Why wait until he's gone? Other than for financial or rude reasons, I mean, and no need to state either, thanks, I understand.

I've read Gerald Ford hated Jimmy Carter for many years but then they ended up becoming good friends before Ford died.

Back
Top Bottom