• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

John Boehner resigning in October.

Am watching that now. It looks like he is about to have a press conference about it. MSNBC seems to think he is sacrificing his position in order to help negotiate federal budget so we don't have another government shut down.

- - - Updated - - -

Resigning from being the Speaker of the House.

And his seat in the House.

Am watching that now. It looks like he is about to have a press conference about it. MSNBC seems to think he is sacrificing his position in order to help negotiate federal budget so we don't have another government shut down.

- - - Updated - - -

Resigning from being the Speaker of the House.

And his seat in the House.
article said:
An aide to Boehner, who holds the top job in the House, said the Ohio lawmaker will step down from the speakership and his seat in Congress effective on Oct. 30.
Yups. That detail is out now as well.

House uncertain who they will name temporarily in charge until the next election where Republicans will likely help elect Dr. Tarr (IL) or Prof. Fether (MI) as Speaker of the House.

Good for him, stick it to the Tea Party bastards who have been demonizing him. See how well they do without him.

I don't care for the man, but at least he is a human being. That's more than can be said for many in his party.

ETA: Apparently, this is unprecedented.

He's a very typical hard rightie. He's just not as crazy as the Cruz variety or as dumb as the Bachmann line. For me, the defining Boehnerism was his ridiculous refusal to call Birtherism for what it is, quote: "It's not my job to tell the American people what to think." Not his job -- that's all he does, all day, every day. I also dislike it that he's from my state. He should be from one of the Carolinas. Real Ohioans don't turn orange.

Unfortunately, we know that the Republican party can supply much worse people than Boehner to be speaker. See Newt Gingrich for an example. What if one of the bat sh*t crazy Tea Partiers is chosen?

Oh he didn't shield us. He was just a less ugly figurehead.

I'm sure he'll have a good cry about it.:frown-new::frown-new::frown-new:
It is possible he had an epiphany. Who knows.
Is it possible there are snowballs in Hell?

Boehner had opportunities too numerous to mention to advance the national good, and he squandered them all. To me he will always be another selfish right-wing coward who believes mediocrity is a high standard.

Here's what I think is a possibility. He's a willing scapegoat. Republicans know that shutting down the government over this Planned Parenthood nonsense is likely to kill any chance at the next presidential election. This allows Boehner to get out of his present position, provides an excuse to the base for not fighting Planned Parenthood, and also throws them a bone because the Tea Party doesn't like Boehner. It's letting the GOP off the tea party hook.

ETA: I hope they make a far right nutbag Speaker. The Tea Party started as an asset for the party, but it has done nothing but hurt the GOP and will continue to alienate the average American. Also, since their most brilliant has only room temperature IQ, it's even easier to defeat them.

Last edited:
Entirely possible.

The big question is whether the Tea Party will fall in behind McCarthy: apparently another bland, hardworking, establishment climber, or will they push one of their own forward?

Here's what I think is a possibility. He's a willing scapegoat. Republicans know that shutting down the government over this Planned Parenthood nonsense is likely to kill any chance at the next presidential election. This allows Boehner to get out of his present position, provides an excuse to the base for not fighting Planned Parenthood, and also throws them a bone because the Tea Party doesn't like Boehner. It's letting the GOP off the tea party hook.

ETA: I hope they make a far right nutbag Speaker. The Tea Party started as an asset for the party, but it has done nothing but hurt the GOP and will continue to alienate the average American. Also, since their most brilliant has only room temperature IQ, it's even easier to defeat them.

Yes. Good analysis. He was probably thinking of getting out anyway.

'tis a sad day when our Democrat friends note John Boehner crying.

Speaking of crying I just heard this at the cooler.

Marsha: "Boehner's resigning!! Is the earth going to spin out of orbit John?"

John: "There, there, Marsha. Our Tea Party Friends are going to get it right. End regulation, end Obamacare, end taxes, end pussy footin', and stand up for what made 'Merica great, being a Theocracy."*

*yet another thousand year solution.

Back
Top Bottom