• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

John Boehner resigning in October.

It is possible he had an epiphany. Who knows.
Is it possible there are snowballs in Hell?

Boehner had opportunities too numerous to mention to advance the national good, and he squandered them all. To me he will always be another selfish right-wing coward who believes mediocrity is a high standard.
Who knows. When your holy leader tells you that you fucked up, it may be slightly possible that it got to him. Probably not, but I'm desperate to know that it is possible for what consists of the right-wing these days to wake up and see life outside their Limbaugh bubble.

I suspect if he is resigning his seat, there are personal issues at play.

His liver is shot?
I dunno. But leaving the House before an election sends the signal to me that there is more to this than any possible Congressional or Republican party internal struggles. On the other hand, wtf do I know about his motivations?

His liver is shot?
I dunno. But leaving the House before an election sends the signal to me that there is more to this than any possible Congressional or Republican party internal struggles. On the other hand, wtf do I know about his motivations?

Seriously this time, I tend to agree with you. He is in an extremely powerful (and lucrative) position. There's got to be something going on.

The attendees of the 'Value Voters Summit' cheered wildly, leaping to their feet when his resignation was announced. Senator Ted Cruz wasted no time mocking Boehner.

Can republicans even see how vicious their party has become? When Walker dropped out, I smiled in satisfaction. When Boehner quit, I was surprised and vaguely pleased, but apprehensive. I didn't leap around hooting. Do these people not own mirrors?

http://www.theonion.com/graphic/boehner-resignation-leaves-massive-leadership-vacu-51389

The attendees of the 'Value Voters Summit' cheered wildly, leaping to their feet when his resignation was announced. Senator Ted Cruz wasted no time mocking Boehner.

Can republicans even see how vicious their party has become? When Walker dropped out, I smiled in satisfaction. When Boehner quit, I was surprised and vaguely pleased, but apprehensive. I didn't leap around hooting. Do these people not own mirrors?

http://www.theonion.com/graphic/boehner-resignation-leaves-massive-leadership-vacu-51389
That Boehner is considered a RINO and a traitor by a noninsigificant portion of the Republican base is mind boggling. They have become so radicalized, it may only be a matter time for Orrin Hatch to join the Democrat Party!

I just finished reading an article about John Boehner's resignation and the whole time I am reading it, this little ditty was going through my mind

On her way to work one morning
Down the path along side the lake
A tender hearted woman saw a poor half frozen snake
His pretty colored skin had been all frosted with the dew
"Poor thing," she cried, "I'll take you in and I'll take care of you"
"Take me in tender woman
Take me in, for heaven's sake
Take me in, tender woman," sighed the snake

She wrapped him all cozy in a comforter of silk
And laid him by her fireside with some honey and some milk
She hurried home from work that night and soon as she arrived
She found that pretty snake she'd taken to had been revived
"Take me in, tender woman

She clutched him to her bosom, "You're so beautiful," she cried
"But if I hadn't brought you in by now you might have died"
She stroked his pretty skin again and kissed and held him tight
Instead of saying thanks, the snake gave her a vicious bite
"I saved you," cried the woman
"And you've bitten me, but why?
You know your bite is poisonous and now I'm going to die"
"Oh shut up, silly woman," said the reptile with a grin
"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in

Holy fuck, I visited a republican site to read about Cruz's comments. The comments int the comments section were even scarier.

I feel like shaking Cruz: Doesn't he see he's next? First Cantor, then Boehner, and whomever disappoints them next. The more he whips them up, the sharper the knives will be when they come for him.

House Speaker John Boehner announced his resignation today, claiming he’s wanted to resign for years and that he decided “today is going to be the day.” But his incredibly vague, well-scripted excuse is most likely covering up the real reason why he’s resigning on October 30th, and because we weren’t satisfied with Boehner’s weepy exit speech this afternoon, we decided to come up with this list of the top ten reasons why John Boehner is actually resigning. Enjoy!

Reason #10 – Boehner Had an Affair: It’s part and parcel that whenever a politician resigns in a vague way, they did something they weren’t supposed to do. So maybe John Boehner cheated on his wife? We’ll never know, not unless some woman gets angry and posts his dirty photos on the web. Err, wait. Boehner is a Republican, so this would be a Republican sex scandal. I nearly forgot! Not unless some dude gets angry and posts his dirty photos on the web. There… that’s better. Has anyone seen Boehner near any airport bathrooms lately?

Reason #9 – He Wants to Run For President: Sure, it’s pretty late in the game to be entering the race today, but it’s not like his polling at 2 percent would be any worse off than the other 976 republicans running for president...
http://reverbpress.com/politics/top-ten-reasons-john-boehners-resignation/

Holy fuck, I visited a republican site to read about Cruz's comments. The comments int the comments section were even scarier.

I feel like shaking Cruz: Doesn't he see he's next? First Cantor, then Boehner, and whomever disappoints them next. The more he whips them up, the sharper the knives will be when they come for him.

This is nothing new for the Republicans. Ever since the 1960s, hard-core, ideological purist conservatives have been trying to purge the Republican Party of "disloyal" and "unreliable" elements. First they drove the small number of genuine liberals out of the party--the primary defeat of Senator Jake Javits in 1980 was the last step. Then they turned on the party's moderate wing--men like Charles Percy of Illinois, Mark Hatfield and Bob Packwood of Oregon, etc. With the exception of a handful of mostly New England based exceptions, they had been driven from the party's ranks by the early 1990s.

Next came the really big step for the purists. They turned on the party's core of conservative elected officials who, unlike the purists, also believed in governing responsibly. Some historians call these Republicans the "stalwarts." Let me reiterate--the stalwarts were not moderates. Their views were solidly conservative, but they did not give priority to taking ideological stands or showing off their dogmatic purity, they emphasized trying to govern the country. From the 1950s through the mid-1990s, the stalwarts were the dominant element in the GOP and produced almost all of the party's leadership. Richard Nixon was, in his political views, a stalwart (albeit one with severe defects of character). Jerry Ford was a stalwart. Almost every Republican Congressional leader from this era was a stalwart--e.g., Everett Dirksen, Howard Baker and Bob Dole in the Senate, Charles Halleck, John Rhodes and Bob Michel along with Ford in the House. Bob Dole's 1996 presidential campaign was in many ways the last stand of the stalwarts.

More recently, having broken the power of the stalwarts, the purists have been turning on each other. The primary defeat last year of Rep. Eric Cantor and the pressure on Boehner that almost certainly contributed to his decision to resign are symptoms of this self-devouring frenzy.

The more I learn about him, the more I'm disliking this McCarthy cat. Not unexpected.

News!

McCarthy drops out of speaker race. Election 'postponed.'

I was reading and saw that if no new speaker is elected, Boehner remains speaker. Can they actually force him to still be speaker if he resigns?

News!

I was reading and saw that if no new speaker is elected, Boehner remains speaker. Can they actually force him to still be speaker if he resigns?
Holy fuck! Even Republicans are taking the fall for Hillary!

News!

Per its terms, his resignation is not effective until a new Speaker is chosen.

News!

Per its terms, his resignation is not effective until a new Speaker is chosen.

Huh. So, you guys have a lame duck Speaker as well as a lame duck President.

This may lead to your government becoming ineffective and not getting anything done.

Back
Top Bottom