• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Jussie Smollet - Horrible Hate Crime or Horrible Case of TDS?

Weird motive. Looks like he staged the hoax because he was unsatisfied with his salary on Empire. I'm not seeing the connection there. Maybe by being a victim of bigotry he thought he would get sympathy points and they would give him more money because they felt sorry for him? :confused:

It wouldn't be because they felt sorry for him, it would be because he'd improve his name recognition due to the assault and then try to parlay that into making himself a spokesman for victims of hate crimes in America. Being more famous because of this puts him in a much stronger negotiating position when his contract gets renewed and when he's signing onto other projects. There's also all the various speaking fees he could command as he goes around places and lets people congratulate him on how strong he is for being able to move past this horrific incident and use what happened to him as an opportunity to educate others about the racism and hatred some have to endure - I mean, just bless that man's heart.

Yeah, IOW it was simple greed, the source of all fraud and most crimes (just ask Wall Street).

The incident should viewed as "fake but accurate"TM and Jussie can still be a hero for the cause.

The incident should viewed as "fake but accurate"TM and Jussie can still be a hero for the cause.

Yeah, maybe we can look at the whole incident as a practice drill in case a real hate crime occurs. :)

Trump already told us how to react to actual hate crimes and violence committed by white supremacists, call the perpetrators "very fine people".

Yeah, maybe we can look at the whole incident as a practice drill in case a real hate crime occurs. :)

Well, it is. Does anyone have some kind of doubt that the next time a hate crime happens, at least a few people will immediately link to articles about this?

It's like that lady who admitted to falsely accusing Michael Jackson of molesting her son. It undermined all the future abuse allegations against him because the fake accusation was always foremost in people's minds when the subject came up again.

But it's clear from the OP post #1 there were some who found it at least questionable from the beginning.

Myself included shit-for-brains. Hence my qualifying in my first post itt: "Unless he's off his meds or something." Iow, unless he's got mental problems, which clearly he does if he thought he could get away with mailing himself fake anthrax and then staging a fake hate crime attack in this manner. These were clearly not the actions of a mentally stable individual.

But it's clear from the OP post #1 there were some who found it at least questionable from the beginning.

Myself included shit-for-brains. Hence my qualifying in my first post itt: "Unless he's off his meds or something." Iow, unless he's got mental problems, which clearly he does if he thought he could get away with mailing himself fake anthrax and then staging a fake hate crime attack in this manner. These were clearly not the actions of a mentally stable individual.

Don't be angry with yourself that you were taken in.

I can see why he's angry (ignoring the fact he's always angry...)

Most people besides Democrat presidential candidates, national journalists, and Koy were able to see there were some issues in the story.

No, you had a terrible take. You had no inkling the letter could be fake nor that the attack could be staged. You thought if a rope were involved, it could only be there if Smollett brought it himself. Your only alternative to a real attack was that Smollett invented everything and carried it all out by himself. Own it.

Yes, it's bizarre that a group of people would orchestrate this, but it is hardly unprecedented nor that nobody could have predicted.

Well, it is. Does anyone have some kind of doubt that the next time a hate crime happens, at least a few people will immediately link to articles about this?

That is a 100% certainty. In fact, when this case broke the usual suspect linked articles to the one Jew who called in fake threats against Jews, as evidence that there are no real hate crimes against Jews or anyone.

No, you had a terrible take.

:rolleyes: It wasn’t my “take.” It was a comparison of which story presented was the more “fishy”—the more implausible—one in which a successful actor on a popular show would risk a felony conviction for no apparent reason or one in which a black, openly gay/openly antagonistic-toward-Trump successful actor on a popular show would be the target of a hate crime.

Barring some unknown mental impairment, the former is by far the more implausible and remains so in spite of the fact that it evidently turned out to be the case.

I never disowned it.

:confused: Where are you getting anger in any of that, let alone that I was “taken in”? Again, I very clearly qualified my position and continue to “own it” in blastula’s terms. Only someone with serious mental problems would ever think he could get away with pulling a stunt like that.

Give him whatever penalty the people he accused would get, after proving him guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.

:confused: Where are you getting anger in any of that, let alone that I was “taken in”? Again, I very clearly qualified my position and continue to “own it” in blastula’s terms. Only someone with serious mental problems would ever think he could get away with pulling a stunt like that.

Calling someone "shit for brains" is where I got anger from. Maybe you weren't taken in, perhaps you are just disappointed the "fuckhead Trump stalkers" that you concocted didn't exist.

Calling someone "shit for brains" is where I got anger from.

In regard to Dismal—because he has shit for brains—not in regard to anything I have posted itt.

Maybe you weren't taken in, perhaps you are just disappointed the "fuckhead Trump stalkers" that you concocted didn't exist.

Oh, don’t worry, they most assuredly exist, just not in this particular scenario. Iow, as others pointed out itt, Smollett did not make up the fact that there are indeed fuckhead Trump supporters capable of doing far worse than what he evidently pretended was the case here.

Oh, don’t worry, they most assuredly exist, just not in this particular scenario. Iow, as others pointed out itt, Smollett did not make up the fact that there are indeed fuckhead Trump supporters capable of doing far worse than what he evidently pretended was the case here.

But it was you that made up the "fuckhead Trump stalkers" in their stakeout car etc.

But it was you that made up the "fuckhead Trump stalkers" in their stakeout car etc.

Are you seriously so stupid that you can’t comprehend the fact that Smollett evidently thought he could get away with his stunt because there are, in fact, fuckhead Trump supporters that actually exist that are capable of—and have committed far worse—crimes than the scenario he came up with?

Are you seriously so stupid that you can’t comprehend the fact that Smollett evidently thought he could get away with his stunt because there are, in fact, fuckhead Trump supporters that actually exist that are capable of—and have committed far worse—crimes than the scenario he came up with?

I'm surprised someone as smart as you was taken in by it. It all seemed to make sense to you.

Not so much that a crime could happen, but this fact pattern that seemed really off.

Back
Top Bottom