• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Language in Russia and Ukraine - political implications (derail from Russia-Gate in US Poli forum)

Yes, the Caucasian language "family" is not strictly speaking a coherent family of languages in the same sense that Indo-European is, but it is not a well-researched language family outside of the former Soviet Union. Linguists typically call Georgian a "Caucasian language" when using it in technical literature and exercises, even though that opens them up to the kind of nitpicking that you just did. Proving that two separate languages belong to the same "family" is a very complex process, so it really isn't important here. What is important is that it isn't remotely related to Indo-European languages in the Slavic branch.
Those languages are split into two main families, Kartvelian and North Caucasian, with the latter split into Northeast Caucasian and Northwest Caucasian.

Appendix:Georgian Swadesh list - Wiktionary

There is very little resemblance between Georgian and the Indo-European languages.

The 1-sg and 2-sg personal pronouns have some resemblance.

1-sg: G me, IE *ego- (nom) *me- (obl)
2-sg: G shen, IE *tu- (nom) *te- (obl)

An odd bit of resemblance is G otxi "4" and IE *oktô "8" -- the IE word looks like the Georgian word with a dual ending. Proto-Indo-European, like some of the older IE langs, had a dual number alongside singular and plural numbers. The word for two had a dual ending: *dwô

Here is a cute bit of difference, in the words for father and mother: G mama IE *pHter-, G deda IE *meHter-

But there are some other similarities, like G mkerdi "chest, breast" IE *kerd- "heart"

You keep bringing up your stupid linguistic derails.
This thread is about RussiaGate. And the latest round started with my remark about how Media talking heads fail to mention that certain russian agent is actually ukrainian.

For someone who's so hung up on linguistics, I'm surprised you don't know that in the US, being a nation agent doesn't mean you are a national of that nation. Paul Manafort was convicted of the crime of being an unregistered agent of Ukraine. He is not a Ukrainian.

This thread is about RussiaGate. And the latest round started with my remark about how Media talking heads fail to mention that certain russian agent is actually ukrainian.

A remark that was shown to be wrong in this post:
https://talkfreethought.org/showthread.php?10591-RussiaGate&p=885270&viewfull=1#post885270

And my anecdote was to illustrate how ridiculous these people are in their war on russian language. The fact that you guessed it wrong illustrates your ignorance in this subject which has nothing to do with linguistics, instead everything to do with politics.

Alright then, what do you think it shows that the remark you made which started this side discussion was incorrect?

Yes, these dumb-asses switched to english. Georgians there understood english, and one ukrainian (the speaker) spoke it well too, but the rest of ukrainians did not. One would ask why all georgians and only one ukrainian speak english? I know you don't know why so I will tell you why. Because all of the georgian government consisted/consists of US "educated" georgians - lawyers and business degrees from US universities. Same with the ukrainian speaker.
The rest did not speak any english. The next question, why would pretty much everyone in georgian government have US degrees? The answer - because Georgia is US's puppet regime. Same with Ukraine now.
It has nothing to do with linguistics.

You're welcome.

That was a bit premature, but thank you for displaying your entrenched ignorance on yet another topic over the last several pages.

All I did was point out that the Ukrainian language issue in that country is complex. There is prejudice on both sides, and that certainly goes for your one-sided descriptions of Ukraine. You chose to go ballistic over my comment, but you do that a lot when people criticize something you say. And KeepTalking was absolutely correct. Whether you were talking about Derkach or Manafort, the nationality didn't matter so much as who they were working on behalf of--Putin and Russia. Both worked to support Putin's stooge, Viktor Yanukovych, the man who was booted out of Ukraine by a popular insurrection. Since then, Manafort and Derkach together have engaged in activities that were aimed at undermining of the Ukrainian government and supporting the installation of Putin-loving Donald Trump in the US presidency.

And my anecdote was to illustrate how ridiculous these people are in their war on russian language. The fact that you guessed it wrong illustrates your ignorance in this subject which has nothing to do with linguistics, instead everything to do with politics.
Yes, these dumb-asses switched to english. Georgians there understood english, and one ukrainian (the speaker) spoke it well too, but the rest of ukrainians did not. One would ask why all georgians and only one ukrainian speak english? I know you don't know why so I will tell you why. Because all of the georgian government consisted/consists of US "educated" georgians - lawyers and business degrees from US universities. Same with the ukrainian speaker.
The rest did not speak any english. The next question, why would pretty much everyone in georgian government have US degrees? The answer - because Georgia is US's puppet regime. Same with Ukraine now.
It has nothing to do with linguistics.

You're welcome.

Well, mystery solved! After pages of stonewalling, you finally reveal the mystery answer to your big gotcha question--they didn't speak Russian, but English? And you think that you made some kind of point that should impress us with how stupid Ukrainians are for deciding to make Ukrainian the national language of Ukraine? You are so ignorant about how language communication works, that you don't even realize how stupid your dragged out language mystery was.

You are clearly ineducable when it comes to this topic, but let me tell you what any linguist would have told you about your anecdote: English is the common international standard of communication. In fact, I told you as much in my last post--that I would have guessed English, if they hadn't spoken Russian. It is quite possible that the Ukrainian and others spoke Russian better than they spoke English, but there just might be a reason why they chose to speak English. Can you guess why?

Oh, don't worry, I won't play the same childish guessing game that you did. I'll just give you a hint: Both countries have been invaded by Russia. That's right. Both sides may have some reason to hold a nationalist grudges that might motivate them to use the language of a country that they had a mutual dislike of at the time. But who knows? You weren't there, and you can't read minds. Maybe they really did speak English better than Russian. Maybe there were non-Russian speakers monitoring the conversation.

One of my earliest experiences in grad school was doing fieldwork on the Breton language--a language that, unlike Ukrainian, really is in its death throes. Your silly Ukrainian-Georgia anecdote reminded me of the Priest who put us up in an orphanage he was running. Although we all spoke French, his native language, he would only speak English or Breton with us. He insisted that he never spoke French to anybody anymore because of his anti-French pro-Breton feelings. (This was a lie, as we later discovered that he spoke French in private with the orphans.) Nationalism does strange things to people's behavior. So it isn't such a surprise to me that Ukrainians and Georgians might choose not to speak Russian with each other. There could be many reasons that drive language choice in a multilingual context. Your speculation about Georgians getting an education in the US is lame, but it might account for fluency in English.

Oh, and it's a big surprise that both countries seek closer ties with the US and the EU. That's a big shocker, given that Russia is known for how well it respects the territories of those two countries. :rolleyes:

Well, mystery solved! After pages of stonewalling
That's rich. You are the one who was stonewalling, not me, you could have simply answered my question, instead you went on and on avoiding answering it.
In the end you failed anyway.
You are clueless and ignorant consumer of anti-russian propaganda.

It is quite possible that the Ukrainian and others spoke Russian better than they spoke English, but there just might be a reason why they chose to speak English. Can you guess why?
Do you even read what I wrote? I fucking told you that Ukrainians did not speak english at all.
They sat through this nonsense with "What a bullshit!" expression on their faces.

Both countries have been invaded by Russia.
That's rich, coming from you. Iraq, Syria,....
And don't forget why "invasion" happened and how it ended.

Oh, and it's a big surprise that both countries seek closer ties with the US and the EU. That's a big shocker, given that Russia is known for how well it respects the territories of those two countries.
Thar's fucking rich, coming from you. Want a hint? english word "balaclava", google it.

People here bitching non-stop about January 6 attack on Capitol, sifting through profiles all these attackers.
Where were you when your own government supported fascist revolt in Ukraine? Why were not you outraged that they were renaming streets after Nazi collaborators who killed bunch of poles and jews?

Ukrainian government is a bunch of clowns who are totally dependent on their role of being pain in the ass for Russia. They are literally paid to be pain in the Russia's ass. That's the whole plan. It's not about democracy and shit. it's about eliminating russian "threat".

People here bitching non-stop about January 6 attack on Capitol, sifting through profiles all these attackers.
Where were you when your own government supported fascist revolt in Ukraine? Why were not you outraged that they were renaming streets after Nazi collaborators who killed bunch of poles and jews?

Ukrainian government is a bunch of clowns who are totally dependent on their role of being pain in the ass for Russia. They are literally paid to be pain in the Russia's ass. That's the whole plan. It's not about democracy and shit. it's about eliminating russian "threat".

It's not worth pursuing your silly game about some conversation between a Ukrainian and some Georgians, so we can let that nonsense rest with your last outburst. Not having been privy to that conversation, I only have your characterization of it to go on, so there is no way to know what was in the minds of the participant or even if your description is factual. Now you want to debate the Capitol attack and associate it with the Maidan revolution. So you spew more vitriolic anti-Ukrainian propaganda at the same time that your country has invaded, occupied, and annexed portions of Ukraine.

You began this long distraction just because I pointed out that the language situation in Ukraine was complex and that it was perfectly legitimate for Ukrainians to declare Ukrainian the national language of the country. I certainly agree with the point that many Ukrainian nationalists behave like fascists, but that just puts them in the same league with many Russian nationalists. There are also Ukrainian nationalists who take a more moderate position. One of the good things that the Soviet Union did was to make it possible for regional minority languages to be taught in the school systems--something the Russian Empire tried to suppress. Ukrainian was an official regional language, although there were still efforts by ethnic Russians to suppress it. Shortly before the collapse of the Soviet regime, they passed a law declaring Russian the official language of the Soviet Union, even though that was totally unnecessary. So Ukrainian nativists aren't really behaving more shamefully than Russian nativists.

My personal opinion is that Russian should not be declared a regional language in Ukraine. It should be declared a second official state language, since roughly half the country speaks Russian as the primary language. That is certainly true in both Kiev and Odessa, where Russian is more often heard than Ukrainian. As I have already said, Ukrainian nationalists aren't going to get very far with attempts to suppress or ignore the Russian language. That's a fait accompli in modern Ukraine. Russia actually helped the Ukrainian nationalists by invading Ukraine, since that created an even greater wave of anti-Russian sentiment. I understand why Ukrainian nationalists don't want to go the route of declaring Russian an official state language. They see it as a threat to their efforts to get everyone to learn Ukrainian. It's just that governments can't really do very much to stop people from using languages that they find useful and want to use. Language laws like that have failed for centuries in countries all over the world. The ultimate problem that Ukrainians (and eventually Russians) have to contend with is that English is spreading so rapidly across the globe that it threatens to marginalize both of those languages in the long run. I've met a number of Ukrainians in ship crews over the past several years, and one thing stands out. They couldn't get those well-paying jobs without knowing English. Knowing Russian was of no use to them.

It's not worth pursuing your silly game about some conversation between a Ukrainian and some Georgians, so we can let that nonsense rest with your last outburst.
You could have just said "Sorry, I was wrong"
Not having been privy to that conversation, I only have your characterization of it to go on, so there is no way to know what was in the minds of the participant or even if your description is factual. Now you want to debate the Capitol attack and associate it with the Maidan revolution. So you spew more vitriolic anti-Ukrainian propaganda at the same time that your country has invaded, occupied, and annexed portions of Ukraine.
So, they were not naming streets after Bandera?
Thank, you very much much, you opened my eyes.

I've met a number of Ukrainians in ship crews over the past several years, and one thing stands out. They couldn't get those well-paying jobs without knowing English. Knowing Russian was of no use to them
LOL, OK, the whole world revolves around ship crews now.
There is no doubt that english is doing well as World's lingua franca, and I am fine with it. In fact, I am glad it's not german :)
But to get well-paying job in Russia, you need to know russian. So english is not threatening russian yet in Russia.

Here is another anecdote. Baltic states have waged their own war with russian. Recent round was about proliferation of russian in construction business in Estonia. And do you know who are they blaming? They are blaming guest workers from ..... wait for it...... wait for it..... Ukraine :)
Ukrainians are blamed for expansion of russian in Estonia.

For someone who proclaims speaking russian you are awfully uninformed about the region.

You could have just said "Sorry, I was wrong"

Sorry, but you were wrong. I told you why, but perhaps it went over your head.

So, they were not naming streets after Bandera?
Thank, you very much much, you opened my eyes.

Nobody cares. There are bad actors in Russia, Ukraine, and every other country on the planet, but you only ever talk about the ones in Ukraine or other countries. Nobody can open your eyes but you, and that is something that you apparently are unwilling to do.

I've met a number of Ukrainians in ship crews over the past several years, and one thing stands out. They couldn't get those well-paying jobs without knowing English. Knowing Russian was of no use to them
LOL, OK, the whole world revolves around ship crews now.
There is no doubt that english is doing well as World's lingua franca, and I am fine with it. In fact, I am glad it's not german :)
But to get well-paying job in Russia, you need to know russian. So english is not threatening russian yet in Russia.

Actually, you are more likely to get a well-paying job in Russia if you know both English and Russian. I don't think you missed that point, but I didn't expect you to acknowledge it. And you missed my other point. Ukrainian is not a regional trade language like Russian. Nor are most of the minority languages inside of the Russian Federation. But Russian itself is a minority language internationally, and globalization is putting pressure on everyone to learn English as a second language. Knowing Ukrainian is still practical for people who live in Ukraine. Ukrainians cannot and will not eradicate Russian. It is wrong to even try. As you are at pains to point out, Russian expands the opportunities of Ukrainians. We are in violent agreement on that point. However, many Ukrainians in the future will find English a far more useful language than Russian, because their country is trying to move closer to the West. If Russians want to stop that, they will need to install another Yanukovych quisling or simply annex the entire country.

Here is another anecdote. Baltic states have waged their own war with russian. Recent round was about proliferation of russian in construction business in Estonia. And do you know who are they blaming? They are blaming guest workers from ..... wait for it...... wait for it..... Ukraine :)
Ukrainians are blamed for expansion of russian in Estonia.

So what? Russian is the regional trade language, and Estonian is only easy for Finns to master. Latvian and Lithuanian, at least, are Indo-European languages that are closer to the Slavic branch. Why do you think this would surprise me? If it isn't Ukrainians, it will be Belarussians or some other ethnic group. I myself once took several courses in Estonian, and I found it extremely challenging.

For someone who proclaims speaking russian you are awfully uninformed about the region.

You keep jumping to wrong conclusions about the state of my knowledge and the state of your ignorance, especially when it comes to language. Being a native speaker of Russian, you can consider yourself an expert in Russian. But not on Russian. You aren't interested enough in the subject matter to educate yourself.

Nobody cares.
Of course you don't. Why would you? If your goal is to trash Russia.
There are bad actors in Russia, Ukraine,
Right, But for some reason you only care for "bad" actors in Russia.
Again, US supported these assholes. Well, considering that US supported fucking ISIS, supporting Nazis may not be that big of a deal.

So what? Russian is the regional trade language, and Estonian is only easy for Finns to master. Latvian and Lithuanian, at least, are Indo-European languages that are closer to the Slavic branch. Why do you think this would surprise me?
Boy, you ARE something. You really did suggest guest workers from Ukraine to learn estonian, didn't you? :D
The reason it should surprise or rather amuse you is the fact that both Ukraine and Estonia are united in their desire to get rid of russian end up accusing each other and themselves in using Russian. That's funny. The same way Ukrainian government switching to english was funny.

You keep jumping to wrong conclusions about the state of my knowledge and the state of your ignorance, especially when it comes to language. Being a native speaker of Russian, you can consider yourself an expert in Russian. But not on Russian. You aren't interested enough in the subject matter to educate yourself.
You keep projecting. This is not about linguistic, it's about politics. You demonstrated that you are much more ignorant than you think you are. It's understandable because you are a victim of neocon propaganda.

Latvian and Lithuanian, at least, are Indo-European languages that are closer to the Slavic branch.
You may not not know that, but both Latvian and Lithuanian are in the same balto-slavic group as slavic. So, much closer than being Indo-European.
In fact, baltic languages were much more widespread in the past than slavic, covering most of Ancient Russia.
And it's somewhat of a mystery why slavic languages spread as much as they did. Could be ancient Putin :)

...or to only talk about what is a legitimate concern for the US.

... for some reason you only care for "bad" actors in Russia.

Maybe because Russia is an adversary of the US?
Perhaps you should start a thread to talk about all the ways Russia is helping the US, to create some balance here.

Arguing with barbos = :banghead:

When someone has spent years failing to display any capacity to admit being wrong, you should probably not expect them to change. Don't worry, everyone else here sees what he has done/ is doing, feel free to move along.

So what? Russian is the regional trade language, and Estonian is only easy for Finns to master. Latvian and Lithuanian, at least, are Indo-European languages that are closer to the Slavic branch. Why do you think this would surprise me?
Boy, you ARE something. You really did suggest guest workers from Ukraine to learn estonian, didn't you? :D
The reason it should surprise or rather amuse you is the fact that both Ukraine and Estonia are united in their desire to get rid of russian end up accusing each other and themselves in using Russian. That's funny. The same way Ukrainian government switching to english was funny.

Your reading comprehension skills need a lot of work. My position remains what it always has been--that Russian is the logical language to use in such situations and should be perfectly acceptable. However, English would be a perfectly acceptable alternative, too, as it is everywhere else in the world for international communication. I completely understand why Estonia, Ukraine, Georgia, and other former Soviet-dominated countries might have a grudge against Russia and the use of Russian. If they don't want to let guest workers use Russian, then they should allow English as an acceptable alternative. Unless guest workers are visiting for an extended period of time, it is unreasonable to expect them to learn Estonian, unless they agree to learn it as a condition for residence.

You keep projecting. This is not about linguistic, it's about politics. You demonstrated that you are much more ignorant than you think you are. It's understandable because you are a victim of neocon propaganda.

My point was simply that you apparently lack the education, interest, or conceptual tools to be an expert on the Russian language, and you certainly don't know anything about why people choose to use the language that they do when communicating with speakers of other languages. Politics is only one factor that determines that. And I certainly have no interest in neocon politics, although I have heard a rumor that your "benevolent tsar" does.

Latvian and Lithuanian, at least, are Indo-European languages that are closer to the Slavic branch.
You may not not know that, but both Latvian and Lithuanian are in the same balto-slavic group as slavic. So, much closer than being Indo-European.
In fact, baltic languages were much more widespread in the past than slavic, covering most of Ancient Russia.
And it's somewhat of a mystery why slavic languages spread as much as they did. Could be ancient Putin :)

So you know that I am a linguist, and you are replying to a quote where I actually point out that the Baltic languages share a common history with Slavic languages. Yes, it is called the "Balto-Slavic branch" of Indo-European. As for your comment about those languages being "much more widespread in the past than Slavic", where do you come up with such nonsense? Lithuanian and Latvian descend from a common ancestor with Slavic languages. If you go back far enough, there would be no distinction at all between the branches. Old Prussian is the oldest recorded example of a Baltic language, but Western Baltic languages have died out. I know of no evidence that Baltic languages covered "most of ancient Russia", but you are free to provide a reference to back up your claim.

It is not much of a mystery why Slavic languages spread as much as they did. (War chariots apparently played a major role in prehistoric times.) Russian split off from the Belarussian and Ukrainian languages while they were essentially part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Russia ultimately came to dominate the region by military conquest. So there is absolutely no mystery about how Russian got to where it is today. That is part of recorded history.

...or to only talk about what is a legitimate concern for the US.
Yes, US concerns existence of Russia.
... for some reason you only care for "bad" actors in Russia.

Maybe because Russia is an adversary of the US?
And why would that be? Could it be becasue US runs around Russia and overthrow/buy governments that dare to have decent relationship with Russia?

Your reading comprehension skills need a lot of work.
Not mine, yours.
My position remains what it always has been--that Russian is the logical language to use in such situations and should be perfectly acceptable. However, English would be a perfectly acceptable alternative, too, as it is everywhere else in the world for international communication.
Maybe in Germany/Norway/etc you can find construction workers who speak english, But in Russia/Ukraine, that would be plain weird for these people be able to speak english.
I completely understand why Estonia, Ukraine, Georgia, and other former Soviet-dominated countries might have a grudge against Russia and the use of Russian. If they don't want to let guest workers use Russian, then they should allow English as an acceptable alternative.
I told you, guest workers is only a part of the problem, estonian bosses themselves talk russian :D
Unless guest workers are visiting for an extended period of time, it is unreasonable to expect them to learn Estonian, unless they agree to learn it as a condition for residence.
You don't say. I have got this popup add with Germany/Netherlands inviting programmers and don't require german.

My point was simply that you apparently lack the education, interest, or conceptual tools to be an expert on the Russian language, and you certainly don't know anything about why people choose to use the language that they do when communicating with speakers of other languages. Politics is only one factor that determines that. And I certainly have no interest in neocon politics, although I have heard a rumor that your "benevolent tsar" does.
You keep projecting.

So you know that I am a linguist, and you are replying to a quote where I actually point out that the Baltic languages share a common history with Slavic languages.
I know you call yourself a linguist. And yes, you contrasted lithuanian/latvian/russian (indo-europian) with estonian/finnish (non indo-european). At no point you mentioned that there was balto-slavic subgroup.
Yes, it is called the "Balto-Slavic branch" of Indo-European. As for your comment about those languages being "much more widespread in the past than Slavic", where do you come up with such nonsense?
Nonsense is what you post. I posted a known fun fact, that baltic branch of balto-slavic group was spread well into modern day Russia.
Lithuanian and Latvian descend from a common ancestor with Slavic languages. If you go back far enough, there would be no distinction at all between the branches. Old Prussian is the oldest recorded example of a Baltic language, but Western Baltic languages have died out. I know of no evidence that Baltic languages covered "most of ancient Russia", but you are free to provide a reference to back up your claim.

It is not much of a mystery why Slavic languages spread as much as they did. (War chariots apparently played a major role in prehistoric times.) Russian split off from the Belarussian and Ukrainian languages while they were essentially part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.
You confuse slavic with russian. Or you could not help it but to blame Russia for slavic languages of Eastern Europe.
Russia ultimately came to dominate the region by military conquest. So there is absolutely no mystery about how Russian got to where it is today. That is part of recorded history.
Again I was not talking about russian, so stop playing your "Russia bad" broken record. I merely pointed out interesting linguistic fact about slavic (not russian specifically) languages.

This thread has a lot of interesting linguistic discussion. But it is devolving into insults.

Please change your tune and address the arguments, not attack the person.

Maybe in Germany/Norway/etc you can find construction workers who speak english, But in Russia/Ukraine, that would be plain weird for these people be able to speak english.

As with Ukrainian, you don't know anything about the language and perhaps less about Estonian than Ukrainian. I was in Tallinn over a year ago, and I found it easier to speak English with the locals than Russian. You could hear both Estonian and English spoken everywhere. Those who spoke Russian tended to be in the ethnic minority of Russian speakers, and they were quite happy to speak Russian with me. The reason for this is simple. Estonian is a vastly different language from Russian, whereas the neighboring Baltic states have languages more similar in vocabulary and structure to Russian. Estonian children no longer have to learn Russian, and parents would rather their children learned a second language that gave them greater opportunities for employment in the future. While it might make sense to consider Russian, the Russian economy does not offer the best opportunities for good jobs in the future. English offers more possibilities internationally, so it is becoming the essential second language for young people everywhere, not just in countries that have broken away from the Soviet orbit. Learning a second language is hard enough, so, if a parent needs to choose between English and Russian for their child's education, English will probably win more often than Russian these days.

I completely understand why Estonia, Ukraine, Georgia, and other former Soviet-dominated countries might have a grudge against Russia and the use of Russian. If they don't want to let guest workers use Russian, then they should allow English as an acceptable alternative.
I told you, guest workers is only a part of the problem, estonian bosses themselves talk russian :D

Barbos, you are working from some story that you read or saw somewhere and to which I have no access. So we only have your account, which may well just present a one-sided perspective of that story. However, I would actually expect ethnic Estonians to use Russian with workers who didn't speak Estonian, and I can also understand why that would be controversial in Estonia, where the official policy is to promote the Estonian language and culture, which is still felt to be under threat from its rather large, aggressive neighbor. If my opinion were asked about what Estonian policy should be (and it certainly wouldn't be), I would tend to favor the Estonian bosses using Russian. Unless they are dealing with Russian-speaking long term residents, it is unrealistic and counterproductive to expect workers from Ukraine to learn Estonian. If the bosses weren't comfortable with Russian, then English would be the next logical choice.

Unless guest workers are visiting for an extended period of time, it is unreasonable to expect them to learn Estonian, unless they agree to learn it as a condition for residence.
You don't say. I have got this popup add with Germany/Netherlands inviting programmers and don't require german.

Well, I apologize for saying something that you agreed with. I didn't mean to annoy you. :shrug:

... Yes, it is called the "Balto-Slavic branch" of Indo-European. As for your comment about those languages being "much more widespread in the past than Slavic", where do you come up with such nonsense?
Nonsense is what you post. I posted a known fun fact, that baltic branch of balto-slavic group was spread well into modern day Russia.

A well known fact (among those who know what Indo-European is) would be that there is a Balto-Slavic branch of Indo-European, but you did not post what you just said. Instead, you posted this very weird claim:

"In fact, baltic languages were much more widespread in the past than slavic, covering most of Ancient Russia."

The Baltic languages were never widespread enough to cover "most of Ancient Russia". And I don't really know what you think "ancient Russia" was. It only dates back to the principality founded by Alexander Nevsky in the 13th century that eventually grew to absorb its parent state and neighbors. Russian itself arose as a language under the domination of the Mongol-Tatar empire. That is what led to the historical split between the Ruthenian and Russian languages. By the time Russian became a regional language, the Baltic languages had already split well off from the Slavic languages.

It is not much of a mystery why Slavic languages spread as much as they did. (War chariots apparently played a major role in prehistoric times.) Russian split off from the Belarussian and Ukrainian languages while they were essentially part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.
You confuse slavic with russian. Or you could not help it but to blame Russia for slavic languages of Eastern Europe.

What are you trying to say here? I am not blaming the Russian language for anything. Ukrainian, Belarussian, and Russian all descend from a common ancestor language that gave rise to the Eastern Slavic branch of Slavic languages. It was the way that the Mongol-Tatar hordes disintegrated into internecine warring groups which led to the linguistic divisions. Ukraine and Belarus became part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, while the Russian branch remained politically separate. Polish, Czech, and Slovak are Western Slavic languages. Bulgarian, Macedonian, Serbian, Croatian, Slovenian, etc., are part of the Southern Slavic branch. Russian was always just one language that descended from common Proto-Slavic.

Russia ultimately came to dominate the region by military conquest. So there is absolutely no mystery about how Russian got to where it is today. That is part of recorded history.
Again I was not talking about russian, so stop playing your "Russia bad" broken record. I merely pointed out interesting linguistic fact about slavic (not russian specifically) languages.

Maybe you were trying to make some point that I didn't catch, but what you actually posted sounded barely sensible. You have no background in Slavic languages, so you probably ought to do a little more research on the subject before posting. Lots of good information out there in Wikipedia, not to mention the Russian version. It seems that your standard tactic is to try to blame every disagreement I have with you as motivated by some kind of hatred of Russia. I wouldn't have spent decades learning about the Russian language, culture, and history, if I hated it. Quite the opposite. My criticisms of Russia have more to do with current events than dislike of the country. The US has a past that in many respects is just as checkered as Russia's. After all, we've invaded both of our neighboring countries in the past, and the US also has a lot of domestic issues with linguistic diversity and nativism in its politics. We could spend all day bashing each other's country, but that doesn't really interest me.

Random russians trying to speak english.

Construction workers speaking english my ass.

And yes, baltic subbranch was much more spread in the past.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltic_languages
The Baltic-speaking peoples likely encompassed an area in Eastern Europe much larger than their modern range: as in the case of the Celtic languages of Western Europe, they were reduced by invasion, extermination and assimilation

I can't find a picture but baltic languages covered modern day Moscow I think. I don't really understand why self-proclaimed linguist is so against.

Now back to the usefulness of english versus russian in former USSR republics.
Lots of workers from Central Asia go to Russia, not to Great Britain. So they ask to sent russian teachers now.
In Baltic States russian is often listed as average job requirement, not english.
It's just simple math, lots of customer speak russian, and your english lessons are pretty useless when you apply for a job of a cashier in Riga.
And EU membership is not helping because young people are free to move to EU now.

Last edited:
Random russians trying to speak english.
Construction workers speaking english my ass.

That humorous video had nothing to do with what we were discussing, but I guess you felt compelled to put up the appearance of something to say. Nobody disputes that people all over the world struggle with English. One of my responsibilities at Boeing was to work on difficulties associated with giving instructions in English to people who did not speak it as their native language. For me, it was an interesting problem, as I dealt with far more than communication with Russian speakers.

And yes, baltic subbranch was much more spread in the past.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltic_languages
The Baltic-speaking peoples likely encompassed an area in Eastern Europe much larger than their modern range: as in the case of the Celtic languages of Western Europe, they were reduced by invasion, extermination and assimilation

I can't find a picture but baltic languages covered modern day Moscow I think. I don't really understand why self-proclaimed linguist is so against.

You are such a glutton for punishment. Look, all that passage says is that the range of Baltic speakers was greater in Eastern Europe in the past. Do you know where Prussia was located? Look it up on a map. Nowhere near Moscow. There is no evidence to suggest that Baltic languages were ever spoken anywhere near Moscow. Sorry guy, but you should really stop digging now. The hole is deep enough.

You seem skeptical about my linguistic credentials. Luckily, I was able to fool all of those other people in the past who believed me. ;)

Now back to the usefulness of english versus russian in former USSR republics.
Lots of workers from Central Asia go to Russia, not to Great Britain. So they ask to sent russian teachers now.
In Baltic States russian is often listed as average job requirement, not english.
It's just simple math, lots of customer speak russian, and your english lessons are pretty useless when you apply for a job of a cashier in Riga.
And EU membership is not helping because young people are free to move to EU now.

Do you believe that I said anything different or that this information would come as a surprise to me? I would suggest that you reread what I have been posting more carefully, but I suspect that reading comprehension isn't your real problem with what I have been writing.

That humorous video had nothing to do with what we were discussing,
Well, you did suggest construction workers to learn english.

You are such a glutton for punishment. Look, all that passage says is that the range of Baltic speakers was greater in Eastern Europe in the past.
No, it's you. I am not going to search for it but there is a map and in the past Baltic subbranch covered a lot of present day Russia.

Do you believe that I said anything different or that this information would come as a surprise to me?

I don't need to believe. You did suggest switching to english ...... in Russia.

Balto-Slavic_lng.png

yep, covers present day Moscow :)

Hydronymic evidence suggests that Baltic languages were once spoken in much wider territory than the one they cover today, all the way to Moscow, and were later replaced by Slavic.

Back
Top Bottom