• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Split Laphonsa Butler chosen to replace Feinstein

To notify a split thread.
Newsom made his selection based on the desires of his constituents and her established track record in California politics.
Newsom made his selection based on the desires not of his constituents at large, but based on the hardcore identitarians among the 2.5% of California population that is black women who were upset that he did not appoint a black woman to replace Kamala Harris.
It's more important to me that she serves all Californians (not just democrats) effectively in her role rather than challenging the reasons for her selection.
True. It remains to be seen how well she will do this. I have my doubts, given the genesis of her selection by Newsom.

I personally believe that a background in law or legal practice is essential for Senate members. However, many senators have proven effective without this experience.
I disagree here. I think diversity in educational and professional backgrounds is good for a legislature. There are too many lawyers among US lawmakers, esp. Democrats, to the extent that they make laws benefiting their own. It is not a coincidence that a country with so many lawyers cum politicians also has laws favorable to lawyers, such as laws allowing arbitrary punitive damages in lawsuits.

Really? Winning the #2 spot from a point of relative obscurity on the national stage? Looks like a stellar success to me—much better than anyone aside from Joe.
She certainly wasn't obscure in 2019. And I do not see how her being selected as Veep by Biden erase the poor decisions made by her and her campaign staff in the 2020 primary campaign.

I wonder which of the boneheaded decisions of the Kamala Harris' Hindenburgesque campaign were her idea.
Do you have a rational basis for assuming that her ideas are necessarily boneheaded,
Her going from a top tier candidate to dropping out in December was result of some boneheaded decisions by her campaign. Even NY Times recognizes that. Are they a bunch of "trumpsuckers" too?

or is that just something an "I'm not a trumpsucker" automatically does because she's a black woman
What does recognizing that KH's 2020 campaign was very poorly run have to do with being a "trumpsucker"? Are we supposed to not point out the flaws in a politician when she is a "black woman"?

I wasn't talking about her career. This is the 3rd time I am telling you.
So what exactly did you mean? Just her being selected as running mate?
How does that negate the fact that her actual primary campaign collapsed in a spectacular fashion even though she had some early advantages?
Nope. She would not be VP had she not run.
She also would not be VP had that junky George Floyd not died.

Neither is Derec. He’s allegedly from the State of Margie Greene. Maybe that explains some things. You see a woman with a considerable record. A person in Georgia might just see a gay black female and write her off.
Newsom did not do LB any favors by a priori making her being a black female the by far most important selection criteria.

We will see how she comports herself in the Senate I guess. Also, I fail to see what MTG has to do with anything. You keep bringing her up apropos of nothing. Are you obsessed with her much like lpetrich is obsessed with AOC?

I wasn't talking about her career. This is the 3rd time I am telling you.
So what exactly did you mean? Just her being selected as running mate?
How does that negate the fact that her actual primary campaign collapsed in a spectacular fashion even though she had some early advantages?
Nope. She would not be VP had she not run.
She also would not be VP had that junky George Floyd not died.

Everything isn't about race, Derec.

Really? Winning the #2 spot from a point of relative obscurity on the national stage? Looks like a stellar success to me—much better than anyone aside from Joe.
She certainly wasn't obscure in 2019. And I do not see how her being selected as Veep by Biden erase the poor decisions made by her and her campaign staff in the 2020 primary campaign.
They're not bad decisions, they're just decisions you disagree with.

You're attitude that you're the arbiter of good and bad in these sorts of situations is annoying. It's narcissistic and egotistical.

She was hardly well known nationally.

Why would Biden, an extremely savvy politician, choose as his running mate someone he didn’t think could run a good campaign?

Neither is Derec. He’s allegedly from the State of Margie Greene. Maybe that explains some things. You see a woman with a considerable record. A person in Georgia might just see a gay black female and write her off.
Newsom did not do LB any favors by a priori making her being a black female the by far most important selection criteria.

We will see how she comports herself in the Senate I guess. Also, I fail to see what MTG has to do with anything. You keep bringing her up apropos of nothing. Are you obsessed with her much like lpetrich is obsessed with AOC?
Derek, you’re not stupid. Diane Feinstein was 90 and in frail health while holding an extremely demanding and stressful job. Newsom would have had to be a complete fool not to have had contingencies in mind in case she was unable to fulfill her term. I am quite certain that he already had his choices, ranked and vetted, waiting in the wings.

I think he was unwise to baldly state he was choosing a black female who was not already running in 2024–but he certainly already had his choices ready and waiting.

That aside, I have no doubt the objections to a black woman as Feinstein’s replacement would have been just as loud if he had not announced his intention.

I fully understand how upsetting it is to hear it stated baldly that someone who looks like you will 100% NOT be even considered for ( insert position). Stings, huh?

Concerning the claim that 'she doesn't live in California,' it's plausible that she holds dual residency, a concept acknowledged in America. Any journalist or news outlet not considering this possibility might be sensationalizing the matter.
It’s not so much about the technical aspects of residency as just not being part of the community she’s been chosen to represent. At least for me.
I understand the sentiment, but I wasn't aware that one needed extensive involvement in every community within a statebefore being appointed as a senator.

That’s not what I said.

It's an intriguing criterion that I haven't observed being applied to anyone else.

I’m just saying that the Democrats made a big stink about Senators ruining in states they didn’t currently live in in the last election but it’s ok if they do the same here?

They're not bad decisions, they're just decisions you disagree with.
They objectively tanked her once promising campaign.
You're attitude that you're the arbiter of good and bad in these sorts of situations is annoying. It's narcissistic and egotistical.
I am hardly the only one who thinks that. See the NY Times article I posted for an example. In fact, I am baffled so many on here defend her presidential campaign this much, to the extent that any suggestion that she is less than perfect is scoffed at. Methinks y'all doth protest too much. Kinda like with Hillary who was claimed to be the most qualified presidential candidate ever.

I certainly heard of her.
Why would Biden, an extremely savvy politician, choose as his running mate someone he didn’t think could run a good campaign?
Biden is an extremely savvy politician? In any case, he was pressured into choosing a black woman due to the 2020 unrest, as I have stated before.

Everything isn't about race, Derec.
Of course not. But when it comes to political appointments, it often is, especially for Democrats.

As far as Kamala Harris, it is well-known fact that Biden chose a black woman because of the 2020 George Floyd insurrection.
Pressure Grows On Joe Biden To Pick A Black Woman As His Running Mate

People don't make decisions based on one thing, generally. Even if this was a factor, he would choose someone making it to the national spotlight, that people like, whose staff and campaign he can work with, who is ideologically compatible, who can add productive value day-to-day.

I’m just saying that the Democrats made a big stink about Senators ruining in states they didn’t currently live in in the last election but it’s ok if they do the same here?

I recognize my oversight. To me, participating in a community and residing in it are distinct concepts. I collaborate with outstanding law enforcement members in my vicinity who are deeply integrated into the community, though they don't reside here. Indeed, if Newsom made such a statement, challenging him would be justified. However, whether such a challenge truly benefits Californians or merely gratifies the one raising the issue is another matter.

I certainly heard of her.
You pay more attention to politics than the average American. Pelosi has decent "national name recognition", while Harris was just a junior Senator of California.
Biden is an extremely savvy politician? In any case, he was pressured into choosing a black woman due to the 2020 unrest, as I have stated before.
You misspelled Stacy Abrams broke the code on elections being all about base turnout, rather than the "independent vote". Black women already vote in absurd majority for Democrats. Getting more black women to vote is a voting windfall for a Democrat candidate.

Newsom made his selection based on the desires not of his constituents at large, but based on the hardcore identitarians among the 2.5% of California population that is black women who were upset that he did not appoint a black woman to replace Kamala Harris.

How should the voices of minorities be considered in the context of the entire population? Governance often requires balancing the needs and desires of various groups. While I believe it's valid to critique Newsom's responsiveness to the broader Californian populace, I also see no problem with Governors taking actions that address the needs of specific groups.

Concerning the claim that 'she doesn't live in California,' it's plausible that she holds dual residency, a concept acknowledged in America. Any journalist or news outlet not considering this possibility might be sensationalizing the matter.

Apparently, she still has and owns a house in LA. I just read this morning that she's not even currently registered to vote in California, though. Which is a little unbecoming of a Senator from California, and lends credence to the notion she's not strongly invested with the state. That said, she does seem pretty bright and capable.

Remember when Newsom was in a recall election? Black women voted 91 to 9 against the recall. White men, 57 to 43. Let's dive into those numbers!

For every 100,000 voters, white men were 24% of the vote, black women, 4% of the vote. Despite being just 4%, the net gain for black women was nearly as large (3640 to 360 = 3280) than that for white men (13680 to 10320 = 3360) for every 100,000 votes in the election. Latino women were larger than both of them at a delta of +4080.

Why in the hell wouldn't he seek out more of that minority female base?!

Back
Top Bottom