• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Last man on the moon, Gene Cernan, dies.

To think that there are still those who believe the whole thing is a hoax.

I wonder (in sheer numbers) how many could potentially follow us in the following:

The moon landing is a hoax, not because there was no landing but because there is no moon.

True. The hoaxers have all sorts of reasons for what happened during Apollo 11, but they can't explain, to my mind, Apollo 13. Why would NASA artificially create a failed scenario to cover up that it's impossible to go to the Moon? And then, having narrowly "returned" Apollo 13, why would they continue with four more missions? They could simply say, "See? It's too dangerous to go, so we're going to stop trying," and then stop running the risk of being caught in their deception.

Makes no sense to me.

Apollo 13 was because something catastrophic happened to the stage set for the moon so they couldn't "land".

To think that there are still those who believe the whole thing is a hoax.

I wonder (in sheer numbers) how many could potentially follow us in the following:

The moon landing is a hoax, not because there was no landing but because there is no moon.

David Weber, The Armageddon Inheritance.

Set in the near-future, mostly in the Earth-Moon system, we learn

The moon was destroyed 50,000 years ago. What we think is our moon isn't a moon at all. And quite capable of doing in Alderaan at a range of many light-minutes despite lacking a dedicated superweapon for the job.

RIP Gene.
His roommate in Naval Flight School is a local and an old riding friend... he is not doing real well with this. Fred was the first guy to be shot down twice in the Vietnam War. The second time he ejected at some godawful speed - I think he said 350 knots - and the tail of the aircraft clipped his back, breaking it. Rescue swimmer showed up with a knife between his teeth to cut him out of the seat: "You okay, Commander?"... and the knife dropped to the bottom of the South China sea. They got him out, anyhow...
Fred still has some artifacts that Cmdr Cernan gave him. Really interesting stuff. I hope he hangs in there a while longer but i can tell he's despondent over this loss.

Back
Top Bottom