• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Leftists caught framing Republicans with Tiki Torch Stunt

That you think that "The fact you think their political affiliation is relevant is also revealing." is revealing.
Of course you would think so.

Why do you think it is a big deal that two Democrats joined a Republican demonstration intended to embarrass a Republican candidate?

No matter how many times you say "but muh Lincoln project" you can't escape the fact that the protesters were Democrats. One of them was the treasurer for the Young Democrats of Virginia.

That you are trying to evade that fact is revealing.

That you think that "The fact you think their political affiliation is relevant is also revealing." is revealing.

Why do you think it is a big deal that two Democrats joined a Republican demonstration intended to embarrass a Republican candidate?

No matter how many times you say "but muh Lincoln project" you can't escape the fact that the protesters were Democrats. One of them was the treasurer for the Young Democrats of Virginia.

It isn't merely that 1 Democrat doesn't make them all LEFTISTS, it's that the Lincoln Project wasn't _FRAMING_ Republicans. But you already know that no one was FRAMING anyone.

It wasn't just 1 Democrat. These people FRAMING the Republicans were Democrats on this Lincoln Project stunt.

Tell me this, why would the Lincoln Project use Democrats in their stunt? Don't they have any Republicans they could have called on?

It wasn't just 1 Democrat. These people FRAMING the Republicans were Democrats on this Lincoln Project stunt.

Tell me this, why would the Lincoln Project use Democrats in their stunt? Don't they have any Republicans they could have called on?

There were Republicans and Democrats there and the Lincoln Project has both, but the CONSERVATIVE Lincoln Project wasn't FRAMING anyone. No one was being FRAMED. I originally gave you the benefit of doubt that you were duped by Reich-wing propaganda, but at this point your claim has been debunkedx10 and so when you keep it up, it's just not in good faith and a waste of everyone's time.

No, you're wrong about too, there was no hoax or framing attempted in the demonstration. Your thread is a total fail.

The only thing wrong with the action was that it was just a lame stunt.

Before the bad faith actors had their identities discovered, all parties, including the Lincoln Project, were saying "see this is the kind of people that support Youngkin." They were absolutely saying "see, white supremacists support Youngkin." THEN the identities of the actors were discovered, and suddenly it went from a frame up to a lame stunt.

You're wrong about how there was no hoax or attempted framing. Those involved in this stunt are all saying "yeah, that's the ticket, they'll believe it when we say there's nothing wrong with the gas lights." And you're swallowing it whole.

Before the bad faith actors had their identities discovered, all parties, including the Lincoln Project, were saying "see this is the kind of people that support Youngkin." They were absolutely saying "see, white supremacists support Youngkin." THEN the identities of the actors were discovered, and suddenly it went from a frame up to a lame stunt.

You're wrong about how there was no hoax or attempted framing. Those involved in this stunt are all saying "yeah, that's the ticket, they'll believe it when we say there's nothing wrong with the gas lights." And you're swallowing it whole.
This argument does have merit. "But I was only joking", is a shitty cop-out no matter who uses it. If that's your intent say it from the start, not when you get caught.

What's confusing the fuck out of me is when the Lincoln Project became a left wing group, as you claim in the title of this thread.

I am saying that the Lincoln Project was saying "But I was only joking". I'm not the one saying that, I'm saying the Lincoln Project is saying that.

The reason I say it is from the left is because the people involved, the actual boots on the ground activist people, the ones in the photograph, those people who have had their identities discovered by internet sleuths, the ones holding the tiki torches, are Democrats. I do find it curious that the Lincoln Project couldn't find any Republicans to get involved in their stunt. Whatever the involvement of the Lincoln Project (maybe they simply said "we have an idea does anyone volunteer for it") the actual people involved, the flesh and blood people, they are activists within the Democratic Party of Virginia.

Those people.

The ones in the photograph.

Not those not in the photograph.

Those people.

They're the ones I'm talking about.

Anti–Trump Group's Tiki Stunt Against Glenn Youngkin May Hurt Terry McAuliffe in Virginia

So a group of people showed up dressed as if they were at the United the Right rally, complete with tiki torches, to say they supported Glenn Youngkin. This made the news rounds for several days, until it turned out they were from an anti-Trump pro-Democrat group.

One of the "supporters" has been identified as FirstName "vote for Dems on Nov 2" LastName on Twitter, with many pictures at Democrat events. The woman at that staged event has also been identified as a Democratic Party operative. They have since made their twitter and instagram private.

Well, if they are Democrats the torches do make sense, but using them to frame the Republican as allegedly having their support is an act of desperation.
Oh, OK. Well, then this obviously absolves the entire GOP of any racism or bigotry. It was those dastardly democrats the whole time!

Flinging bullshit is an evasion.

Why are you afraid to answer the simple question

Whatever the involvement of the Lincoln Project (maybe they simply said "we have an idea does anyone volunteer for it") the actual people involved, the flesh and blood people, they are activists within the Democratic Party of Virginia.

From the article linked in the OP:

The Lincoln Project has been condemned for a stunt targeting the Republican gubernatorial candidate for Virginia, Glenn Youngkin, in which it sent people mimicking white nationalists to stand outside his campaign bus.

Were there leftists involved? Yeah probably. Implying that leftists and only leftists were involved (which is exactly what you did) is like saying Taco Bell sells meat products. You can argue that is true, whilst it not being entirely accurate.

You might find it curious that Democrats were involved; I find it pretty telling how much you are willing to perform mental gymnastics trying to downplay the group that orchestrated the stunt in the first place.

Here is what actually happened.

This is necessary reading for anyone wanting to know what really happened.

Do those kind of people support Youngkin?

It seems quite plausible to me that they do. Pointing that out with a political stunt is not framing him nor a joke, nor was it done by leftists.

It's your OP that's the fraud. It's you who are framing conservatives.
Tom

@Jason Harvestdancer

There are lots of people who despise Trump and the TeaParty. Including Liz Cheney, Mitt Romney, and G. W. Bush.

Do you consider them leftists? I dont.

Tom

The reason I say it is from the left is because the people involved, the actual boots on the ground activist people, the ones in the photograph, those people who have had their identities discovered by internet sleuths, the ones holding the tiki torches, are Democrats. I do find it curious that the Lincoln Project couldn't find any Republicans to get involved in their stunt.
Why do keep repeating this nonsense?

2 of the 5 are Democrats. That leaves the majority(3), who are not Democrats. Then, there's the organization that did it. The Lincoln Project is hardly leftists.

You just keep repeating this demonstrably fake news. It's like you're trying to convince yourself of something.

Tom

*Some* of the protesters were Democrats. Nice to see that you have left off calling them leftists, though.

Whatever the involvement of the Lincoln Project (maybe they simply said "we have an idea does anyone volunteer for it") the actual people involved, the flesh and blood people, they are activists within the Democratic Party of Virginia.

From the article linked in the OP:

The Lincoln Project has been condemned for a stunt targeting the Republican gubernatorial candidate for Virginia, Glenn Youngkin, in which it sent people mimicking white nationalists to stand outside his campaign bus.

Were there leftists involved? Yeah probably. Implying that leftists and only leftists were involved (which is exactly what you did) is like saying Taco Bell sells meat products. You can argue that is true, whilst it not being entirely accurate.

You might find it curious that Democrats were involved; I find it pretty telling how much you are willing to perform mental gymnastics trying to downplay the group that orchestrated the stunt in the first place.
Obviously the stunt went wrong because it vastly overrated the intelligence and self awareness of the Youngkin supporters and most current GOP while simultaneously underestimating the willingness of right wing GOP operatives and their lapdog media to misrepresent the facts.

I was thinking of posting on the election in Virginia and New Jersey Governor Races 2021 | Internet Infidels Discussion Board but this thread seems to have taken over.

About that tiki-torch stunt, I thought that it was awful, even if it was fun to turn the tables on the Republicans.

2021 Virginia Election Results - The New York Times
  • Winner Glenn Youngkin Republican 1,660,362 50.8%
  • Terry McAuliffe Democrat 1,587,833 48.5
  • Princess Blanding Liberation 22,851 0.7
Princess Blanding for Virginia Governor - that's her real name. Her platform does not seem far off from what Bernie Sanders or AOC might push for.

AOC says McAuliffe lost because he didn't energize a 'progressive base' | WSET
Second-term Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., took to social media this week to tell Virginia Democrats their gubernatorial candidate, Terry McAuliffe, lost because his campaign was too moderate.

Conversely, Democratic political strategist James Carville, who has been in politics for roughly 40 years, rebuked that notion, blaming “stupid wokeness” on Democrats' failures in Virginia.

I know that Virginia was a huge bummer,” Ocasio-Cortez said in a video on Instagram. “And honestly, if anything, I think that the results show the limits of trying to run a fully 100% super moderated campaign that does not excite speak to or energize a progressive base and frankly, we weren’t even really invited to contribute on that race.”

Ocasio-Cortez then accused “moderate Dems” of enabling Republican “race-baiting.” She argued it “demoralizes the base you’re supposed to protect and turn out while also ceding white swing voters to the right w/ inadequate responses or silence.”

On the other hand, longtime veteran political strategist James Carville told PBS NewsHour “what went wrong” was “just stupid wokeness.”

“Don't just look at Virginia and New Jersey. Look at Long Island, look at Buffalo, look at Minneapolis, even look at Seattle, Wash. I mean, this 'defund the police' lunacy, this take Abraham Lincoln's name off of schools. I mean that — people see that," Carville said.
ABC 13 News - WSET on Twitter: ".@AOC says @TerryMcAuliffe lost because he wasn't 'woke' enough, Carville says the opposite (link)" / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "How can news outlets even attribute words to me I didn’t say? ..." / Twitter
How can news outlets even attribute words to me I didn’t say?

I said there are limits to trying to mobilize a campaign with a 100% moderate strategy without mobilizing the base. Said nothing abt “wokeness” which is a term almost exclusively used by older people these days btw

Like the average audience for people seriously using the word “woke” in a 2021 political discussion are James Carville and Fox News pundits so that should tell you all you need to know

And before people disingenuously complain “woke” is denigrating to older people, it’s actually pundits like Carville using terms like “woke” to insult voters under 45 that’s denigrating.

Don’t wonder why youth turnout falls when Dems talk about them like this. We need everyone.
I recall Donna Imam discussing this election and IIRC she said that turnout from young voters and black voters was down. As if Terry McAuliffe didn't do much to make them want to vote for him.

AOC also noted that TMA ran a very centrist campaign, and that he didn't invite progressives to campaign for him. So he wasn't some flaming left-winger.

Back
Top Bottom