• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Let’s Brainstorm Solutions to - cell phone spam

Using other people phone number (without permission) that's what I would call spoofing because malicious intent is clearly present in that case. This must be stopped.

These are the ones I’m talking about.
The like to ue numbers of houses that are on the market. And they use random people in your area code. If you call that number back you get an innocent person who is now mad that you’ve called them. I’ve had people call me and shout, “why do you keep calling me!?” And I haven’t obviously, and my phone was on the table and oviusly not butt-dialed.

I haven't employed this on my mobile number yet, but back when I had a land line I'd get repeated calls from all manner of telemarketers.

So I changed my outgoing message to sound like a business. Something like "thank you for calling! All our representatives are currently assisting other customers, or you've reached us after our normal business hours. Please call back from 8:30 to 5:30 Monday through Friday, or please hold for the next available representative."

I even played some generic elevator music in the background.

I had to explain the message to the few people I knew who still called that number, but after a couple months all the telemarketing calls stopped. If they think they're calling a business, they'll take you off their list. Don't know how well it would work with robocalls or spam.

I just ignore when the phone rings unless it's a number I recognize. If not, not answering the phone. Same with the door. I rarely answer the door.

I like to hear about the personal hacks - but I’m hoping with this thread to explore systemic solutions that could be adopted either by choice of the providers or by force through legislation. I thin it would be interestin to xplore wayys in which we could end the spam on cell phones by making it not in their cost model to foce us to do things like ignore calls and make fake answering messages.

- - - Updated - - -

I just ignore when the phone rings unless it's a number I recognize. If not, not answering the phone. Same with the door. I rarely answer the door.

I can’t avoid answering the door. The kitchen and computer are clearly visible from the door, so they know I’m right there.

Back
Top Bottom