• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Life without advertising

OK.

So we now know that BBC television is fundamentally all about advertising, because before TV was even fucking invented, the corporation had some sponsors for radio broadcasts.

And that mirrors are completely unavailable in the bizarro world inhabited by those who believe such tripe as a defence against admitting the slightest error.

And that my ignore list just got one name longer.

Thanks for fucking up my thread with your ego.

Here's what your TV is for:

Edward Louis Bernays (/bərˈneɪz/; German: [bɛɐ̯ˈnaɪs]; November 22, 1891 − March 9, 1995) was an Austrian-American pioneer in the field of public relations and propaganda, referred to in his obituary as "the father of public relations".[3] Bernays was named one of the 100 most influential Americans of the 20th century by Life.[4] He was the subject of a full length biography by Larry Tye called The Father of Spin (1999) and later an award-winning 2002 documentary for the BBC by Adam Curtis called The Century of the Self.

His best-known campaigns include a 1929 effort to promote female smoking by branding cigarettes as feminist "Torches of Freedom" and his work for the United Fruit Company connected with the CIA-orchestrated overthrow of the democratically elected Guatemalan government in 1954. He worked for dozens of major American corporations including Procter & Gamble and General Electric, and for government agencies, politicians, and non-profit organizations.

Of his many books, Crystallizing Public Opinion (1923) and Propaganda (1928) gained special attention as early efforts to define and theorize the field of public relations. Citing works of writers such as Gustave Le Bon, Wilfred Trotter, Walter Lippmann, and his own double uncle Sigmund Freud, he described the masses as irrational and subject to herd instinct—and outlined how skilled practitioners could use crowd psychology and psychoanalysis to control them in desirable ways.[5][6]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Bernays

So we now know that BBC television is fundamentally all about advertising

No, we now know that just because the BBC does not have commercials and occasionally broadcasts some good programs does not in any way mitigate the fact that they deliberately stopped any kind of commercial sponsorship because it would mean the government did not have monopoly control over the medium to use it as they saw fit to deliver their propaganda.

They didn't ban commercial sponsorship because commercials were a minor annoyance; they banned them in order to assume control of the airwaves for specifically political reasons; to literally control national thought.

And that mirrors are completely unavailable in the bizarro world inhabited by those who believe such tripe as a defence against admitting the slightest error.

Oh, the irony.

And that my ignore list just got one name longer.

Grow the fuck up.

Did you guys know that Cuba has large and beautiful murals depicting national solidarity and hope for the future on its buildings and billboards instead of Pepsi advert--oops, my bad, I wouldn't want this thread to devolve into hostility and namecalling

Propaganda is a form of advertising.

Pee is stored in the balls.

Propaganda posters are advertising of whatever position the posters are trying to promote. An ad doesn't have to be of a specific product.

Without advertisement there would be no Rachel Maddow, Steven Colbert, etc.
I remember it took me a very long while to stop being distracted by advertisement on streets in US.

I remember it took me a very long while to stop being distracted by advertisement on streets in US.

Because you're consciously and fully aware of every message and image in your environment. ;)

Because you're consciously and fully aware of every message and image in your environment. ;)
Is this a question? Compared to USSR that constant stream of shop signs and adds was distracting especially when driving.

Is this a question? Compared to USSR that constant stream of shop signs and adds was distracting especially when driving.

NO POLITICS IN THE THREAD ABOUT HOW CORPORATIONS INVADE PUBLIC SPACES TO MAKE YOU LOOK AT THEIR LOGOS!

A nice commercial break gives me time where I do not miss anything Rachel says while I go to the bathroom or the kitchen to get more ice for my drink.

A nice commercial break gives me time where I do not miss anything Rachel says while I go to the bathroom or the kitchen to get more ice for my drink.

How could you miss anything, isn't she still stuck on Russia Russia Russia!!!!!!!?

How could you miss anything, isn't she still stuck on Russia Russia Russia!!!!!!!?

Obviously, you do not listen to her regularly. Pull yer thumb out.

Back
Top Bottom