• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Londonistan, Eurabia

I'm certain Subway wouldn't keep stores open if they knew making this change because of a small minority of religious fanatics complaining would lead to them losing money. So if they kept the stores open with the adjusted menu, they must think it is in their economic best interest to offer the adapted menu and expand their consumer base.

I hope Brits teach them a lesson.
Again, it would be expanding the consumer base if they also offered halal options. It is restricting the consumer base by going all halal.
subway+halal+thumb.jpg

This is the worse thing since McDonalds started selling all beef patties.
Or worse, developing a fish sandwich to sell to Catholics during lent. (The article does not touch on Kroc's anti-Catholicism.)
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/deaconsbench/2014/03/how-catholics-and-lent-changed-the-mcdonalds-menu/
They are selling fish sandwiches all the time. And they are not not selling (terrestrial vertebrate) meat during Lent and/or on Fridays. So that's an example of expanding the menu to expand the customer base. Not restricting the menu because some customers are offended eating where kafir foods are sold as well.

This is the worse thing since McDonalds started selling all beef patties.
Or worse, developing a fish sandwich to sell to Catholics during lent. (The article does not touch on Kroc's anti-Catholicism.)
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/deaconsbench/2014/03/how-catholics-and-lent-changed-the-mcdonalds-menu/
They are selling fish sandwiches all the time. And they are not not selling (terrestrial vertebrate) meat during Lent and/or on Fridays. So that's an example of expanding the menu to expand the customer base. Not restricting the menu because some customers are offended eating where kafir foods are sold as well.

Do you know how business works?

I'm certain Subway wouldn't keep stores open if they knew making this change because of a small minority of religious fanatics complaining would lead to them losing money. So if they kept the stores open with the adjusted menu, they must think it is in their economic best interest to offer the adapted menu and expand their consumer base.

Again, it would be expanding the consumer base if they also offered halal options. It is restricting the consumer base by going all halal.
There is no evidence that Subway is trying to kill business in 200 stores. They would have closed the doors instead of change to a menu that'll lose money.

It does not sound like a case of religious intimidation.

I'd bet Subway did market surveys, focus groups, and financial analysis before making changes.

From the article Subway was also taking into account the environmentalists. Hog farms are dirty, smelly, and tend to be polluters.

Yeah, it would be fucking crazy if MickyDee's did anything like that with their stores! Good old MickyDee's, you can trust them not to compromise on their core western values:
That's in India. Which would be comparable to say a Subway in an Islamic country.

But not any other area with a large Muslim demographic?

What I was alluding to would be McD banning beef in the UK because a small minority of religious fanatics complained.

What evidence do you have that Muslims are a small minority in the areas that these Subway stores serve?

In the halal-only branches ham and bacon has been substituted for turkey ham and rashers.
! I'm not sure what a 'rasher' is, but if I knew, I am sure I would be outraged by that as well.

a rasher is the name for a strip of bacon.

Oh, well in that case, I am definitely outraged, as I knew I would be once I found out what a rasher is.

I'd bet Subway did market surveys, focus groups, and financial analysis before making changes.

From the article Subway was also taking into account the environmentalists. Hog farms are dirty, smelly, and tend to be polluters.

The Minnesota Pork Producers would like to say that, "YES! Pork farms are clean as a whistle and contribute to a more sustainable future." Eat more SPAM.

Is there any religion that restricts its members from eating halal food?

As far as i know, even the Mormons could eat at these stores.

So what customers are they restricting?

So what customers are they restricting?
Those that want to eat anything other than halal food. Having only halal food restricts choices because of religious pressure of a minority.

- - - Updated - - -

What evidence do you have that Muslims are a small minority in the areas that these Subway stores serve?
For example Bristol, where two of these "halal only" Subways are, is only 5% Muslim. So 95% of Bristolites must cave to pressure by the 5%.

- - - Updated - - -

From the article Subway was also taking into account the environmentalists.
Why doesn't that surprise me?

Those that want to eat anything other than halal food. Having only halal food restricts choices because of religious pressure of a minority.

- - - Updated - - -

For example Bristol, where two of these "halal only" Subways are, is only 5% Muslim. So 95% of Bristolites must cave to pressure by the 5%.
So your assumption is that all of the Subway stores in Bristol are eliminating nonhalal food? Otherwise your response is untrue.

The Minnesota Pork Producers would like to say that, "YES! Pork farms are clean as a whistle and contribute to a more sustainable future." Eat more SPAM.

Back in the 80s a rural farmer inOregon sold his land to a developer who built a bunch of houses.

As people moved in they banded together to sue a nearby hog farm because it smelled.

Whenever I drove cross country in the summer I got a whiff of that good old 'country perfume' in the air infarm country.

Who would want to eat anything but Halal food?

There is always the other seven Subways in Bristol they can go to.

From the article Subway was also taking into account the environmentalists.
Why doesn't that surprise me?
You think environmentalists are evil gold digging bitches?

So your assumption is that all of the Subway stores in Bristol are eliminating nonhalal food?
I said two. Learn to read.
The 2nd sentence read Otherwise your response is untrue. Clearly, I am not the one with a reading or reasoning problem here.
Why should my response be untrue? They are banning non-halal meats from some of their stores on account of an aggressive minority.
If you don't want to eat pork, don't eat pork. Don't call for restaurants to ban pork for everyone else.

So your assumption is that all of the Subway stores in Bristol are eliminating nonhalal food?
I said two. Learn to read.
The 2nd sentence read Otherwise your response is untrue. Clearly, I am not the one with a reading or reasoning problem here.
Why should my response be untrue? They are banning non-halal meats from some of their stores on account of an aggressive minority.
If you don't want to eat pork, don't eat pork. Don't call for restaurants to ban pork for everyone else.
Your wrote "So 95% of Bristolites must cave to pressure by the 5%." If there are other Subway stores, then clearly 95% of Bristolites are not being denied their desired pork Subway meals because they can obtain Subway sandwiches elsewhere. Maybe even near their work or homes because for all we know, the 5% Muslim population might be concentrated around or near those two sites. Maybe Subway actually is making a smart business move by inducing more sales at those stores than they lose.

Why do you assume the most stupidest and lamest of motivations on the part of Subway?

Who would want to eat anything but Halal food?
Anybody but fundy Muslims.

2/9 is 22% to serve at most 5% of the population. In reality even many Muslims will eat in non-halal places even if they forego pork products. And some even eat pork. So you have 22% of the restaurants halal because <5% demand restaurants serve halal only meats.

Anybody but fundy Muslims.
Could you cite that claim. Thanks.

2/9 is 22% to serve at most 5% of the population. In reality even many Muslims will eat in non-halal places even if they forego pork products. And some even eat pork. So you have 22% of the restaurants halal because <5% demand restaurants serve halal only meats.
So a minority of the Subway stores are targeting a modified product to a minority of the population. The numbers seem to line up.

If the minority population is 5% and there were few to no competitors offering fast food options towards them, there would certainly be an economic drive to be one of the first to actively target that market.

Back
Top Bottom