• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Looks Like Cosby May Walk

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/15/us/bill-cosby-email-sexual-assault-charges-pennsylvania/index.html

)—A former district attorney in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, claims he agreed more than a decade ago that his office wouldn't use a civil deposition given by Bill Cosby in any criminal matters, an email obtained by CNN shows -- a revelation that could call into question the viability of the criminal case against the comedian.

The case has always been shaky. Rape claims are usually tough to prove anyway ("he said she said") but just imagine having to defend yourself for something that allegedly happened two decades ago. That statute of limitations is way too long (for purely ideological reasons) and should be brought down in line with other non-homicide crimes.

I don't think there should be a statute of limitations if you've raped 30 people.

He will probably move to Germany where nobody seems to care about this kind of thing. Any of his haters over there will probably get blasted by a water cannon if they make too big of a fuss.

He will probably move to Germany where nobody seems to care about this kind of thing. Any of his haters over there will probably get blasted by a water cannon if they make too big of a fuss.

It really is bad to see such a fucker walk. He doesn't look like he has too much walking or in fact anything else to do anyway. His gross crimes need to be tried in a criminal court.:thinking:

I don't think there should be a statute of limitations if you've raped 30 people.

Egad, under the law he has not raped anyone until convicted of raping someone.

This is not correct. He will not be a convicted rapist until he is convicted of raping someone.

Whether or not he is a rapist is a matter of conjecture, but things don't look good for Cosby. The accusations made by several women sound very plausible and it was a very common scenario.

Times change and 40 year later, what was considered acceptable is no longer acceptable.

What is causing Cosby so much grief is the statute of limitations on the definition of rape has expired. There was a time when a man could offer a quaalude to a woman and nothing was thought of it. If he crushed it into her drink, without her knowledge, it was a prank, bordering on a dirty trick, but not over the line.

Only if he converts to Islam first.

- - - Updated - - -

You are older right? Without statute of limitations some women could falsely accuse you of raping them when you were a teenager, what 50 years ago? How would you defend yourself against such allegations?
Statutes of limitations exist to protect people and should not be extended or eliminated for political or ideological reasons.

Only if he converts to Islam first.

- - - Updated - - -

You are older right? Without statute of limitations some women could falsely accuse you of raping them when you were a teenager, what 50 years ago? How would you defend yourself against such allegations?
Statutes of limitations exist to protect people and should not be extended or eliminated for political or ideological reasons.

Fifty years ago, you might of had a valid point. Today is different. If evidence is collected at the time of the crime and properly preserved, a prosecution and a fair trial are possible, far into the future.

Fifty years ago, you might of had a valid point. Today is different. If evidence is collected at the time of the crime and properly preserved, a prosecution and a fair trial are possible, far into the future.
If a evidence is collected "at the time" then why not prosecute "at the time"? If a woman only accuses you long after the alleged crime, there is no evidence that was preserved.

The same way you would defend yourself if the allegations are made contemporaneously. In fact, it is probably easier, since the likelihood of extant forensic evidence is scant.

Egad, under the law he has not raped anyone until convicted of raping someone.

Under logic, if he has raped someone, then he has raped someone. So I called him a rapist because he is. The law may not catch up to reality in this case, but it doesn't change the fact that he's a rapist.

Derec, what is it with you defending male, serial rapists?
I am not defending any rapists. I am merely arguing against having statute of limitations for rape be more than double as long as that for other non-homicide crimes.

Why? Murder and rape are generally understood to be egregious crimes.

Why? Murder and rape are generally understood to be egregious crimes.
Rape is nowhere near as egregious as murder and besides, homicides usually have a body whereas rapes often have no physical evidence.

I am not defending any rapists. I am merely arguing against having statute of limitations for rape be more than double as long as that for other non-homicide crimes.

Maybe you should read again what I wrote. Here it is:

Raping 30 people is different from raping 1 person. I mean, it's sort of like 30 times as bad. Now whether the system of statutes of limitation could be changed, whether a different kind of charge could be made, or some other change that I am not creative enough to come up with is a question worth discussing, but merely claiming I said to change the current statute of limitations is not what I wrote.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not defending any rapists.

Yeah, you kind of are doing that. You also did that with the police officer who raped 30 women. What is it with you and empathizing with serial rapists?

The statute of limitations is because it's hard to actually prove long-ago crimes and hard to defend against such allegations. What possible defense does Cosby have here?

Rape is nowhere near as egregious as murder and besides, homicides usually have a body whereas rapes often have no physical evidence.

Most people consider it pretty bad. Right up there with murder.
I'm going to list it as pretty high on the list as I know some victims of horrible rapes. Some people can move on, for others it is a lifetime of PTSD hell.

Back
Top Bottom