• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Major League Baseball

It was ugly. Roberts has proven to be inept in the playoffs. But it's not entirely his fault but he carries most of the blame. When I saw Kendrick coming to the plate with the bases loaded, that's when I thought "oh fuck". The Dodgers were not smart at all. Tried to win by brute force when some finesse was required. Oh well, maybe next season !

Washington Nationals book their place into the World Series after sweeping the Cardinals. The Cardinals had a disastrous first inning, giving up seven runs with a few errors thrown in. It was quite a good game to watch as the Cardinals fought back to make the score 4-7 after five innings. they had the bases loaded at one point but couldn't get the job done. So, will it be the Yankees or Astros that take the ALCS ?

Washington Nationals book their place into the World Series after sweeping the Cardinals. The Cardinals had a disastrous first inning, giving up seven runs with a few errors thrown in. It was quite a good game to watch as the Cardinals fought back to make the score 4-7 after five innings. they had the bases loaded at one point but couldn't get the job done. So, will it be the Yankees or Astros that take the ALCS ?

I'm rooting for the Astros because I can't stand the Yankees, but then I'll root for the Nationals in the Series.

I'm rooting for the Astros because I can't stand the Yankees, but then I'll root for the Nationals in the Series.

With the rain delay tonight, and the potential that this series could go 6 or 7 I wonder if Washington's going to get some crust build-up.

Exactly what happened to the Tigers in 2012. They swept the Yankees and the NLCS went seven, then the Tigers got swept in the World Series. Although I can't recall how they compared with San Francisco that year.

I don't have any real preference as to who wins the WS. New York and Astros are very good teams and I am more familiar with the Astros and like a few of their players so maybe a slight bias toward the Astros. But I won't be upset if the Yankees go through. I am still smarting that the Nationals beat the Dodgers !! The Dodgers would certainly have beaten the Cardinals over a seven game series, grrrrr.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...n-verlander-detroit-tigers-astros/1193975001/

Justin Verlander explains why Detroit Tigers lost twice in World Series

“The reason? I think the reason was the time off before the two world Series. I think we had the talent to do it, for many, many years. When it comes to playoff time, it’s kind of a roll of the dice — it comes down to the hottest team at the right time. I think we were that team twice. We got cooled off by the week layoff before the World Series both times. It sucks. It’s the name of the game. This is probably the only sport where time off like that will hurt you. Every other sport, I think it’s a benefit. This sport it is absolutely a negative. ... Mr. I (late team owner Mike Ilitch) put his heart and soul into this organization and did everything he possibly could, to allow us to win a championship. We came close a couple of times. It’s probably one of my biggest regrets, not winning one for him.”

It was ugly. Roberts has proven to be inept in the playoffs. But it's not entirely his fault but he carries most of the blame. When I saw Kendrick coming to the plate with the bases loaded, that's when I thought "oh fuck". The Dodgers were not smart at all. Tried to win by brute force when some finesse was required. Oh well, maybe next season !

Roberts's managing history has been like Kershaw's, great in regular season, but shaky in the post season. He does make some very easily second guessed decisions.

After the start of the Yankees-Astros series and their recent 7 game series, I was hoping this might be the makings of a good rivalry but with Verlander going tonight and then 2 home games, this one is likely over. I hope they prove me wrong.

Well the Astros won over a battling Yankees. A bottom of the ninth walk off home run by Altuve who will surely be MVP. It was a great game and series. I look forward to the World Series and expect the Astros to win it.

Well the Astros won over a battling Yankees. A bottom of the ninth walk off home run by Altuve who will surely be MVP. It was a great game and series. I look forward to the World Series and expect the Astros to win it.

Rats I didn't stay up for the end. Would have liked to see it. I'm hoping now that the Nats will surprise us.

Rats I didn't stay up for the end. Would have liked to see it. I'm hoping now that the Nats will surprise us.

Apparently, no Nats or Astros fans in here. Me neither, but that was an amazing game proving the odds makers wrong. It's gonna be a exciting series. I like the Astros players, but am pulling for the Nats for underdog reasons.

Just finished watching game 1 - looks like the Nationals had some time to prepare for Cole.

I like the Astros players, but am pulling for the Nats for underdog reasons.

I'm not convinced the Nats are deserving of underdog status. They seem a very solid and capable team and have been worthy winners against the Astros so far.

I like the Astros players, but am pulling for the Nats for underdog reasons.

I'm not convinced the Nats are deserving of underdog status. They seem a very solid and capable team and have been worthy winners against the Astros so far.
I didn't follow them this year but I believe they had a slow start then later added a bunch of pieces. So their regular season record is deceptive.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Things were looking great a few days ago for the Nats. Teams opening with 2 road wins have been hard to beat. After two home losses, the Nats might still have been somewhwat confident with Sherzer and Strasburg coming up, but Sherzer is now out tonight, and Joe Ross will be going against Cole. This could be disastrous. But it's also on verge of being a great series.

And now the Nats face elimination after losing three games at home ! With Verlander due to pitch tomorrow, I think they may have a chance to score some runs as his record is a bit patchy. But what happened to the Nats, they looked pretty good on the road.

Game seven it is ! Exciting stuff last night. I think the Astros will turn it on tonight.

Has there ever been a World Series where the visiting team won every game?

Nope, but there also hasn't been a day where some statistical anomaly wasn't generated by the random number generator (MLB).

I've been rooting for the Astros, but it's going to be really hard to root against Scherzer pitching a game 7 after coming back from an injury.

Has there ever been a World Series where the visiting team won every game?

Nope, but there also hasn't been a day where some statistical anomaly wasn't generated by the random number generator (MLB).

In fact, it's never even happened for the first six games, in MLB, NBA, or NHL; so, the first time in 1,420 best-of-7 series.

Back
Top Bottom