• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Male patients asked if they are pregnant at NHS Trust

Metaphor

Banned
Banned
Some hospital trusts are asking men if they are pregnant before undergoing scans, it has been reported.

It comes after the Government removed the word "female" from the law governing the medical procedures and replaced it with "individuals".

In 2017, regulations regarding these checks were updated by the Department of Health to be more inclusive – changing those who should be questioned from "females of childbearing age" to "individuals of childbearing potential".
The law ought never have been changed. Only females can get pregnant and no male can.

The change was made due to the dangers that radiotherapy, diagnostic imaging and nuclear medicine pose to an unborn child.

Medics must be able to establish whether a patient is pregnant before carrying out the procedures to minimise the risk.

This has led to some hospital trusts asking male cancer patients and those having X-Rays and MRI scans if they could be pregnant, causing uproar among campaigners.

"All patients under the age of 60, regardless of how you may identify your gender" are now asked whether they are expecting at The Walton Centre NHS Foundation Trust, in Liverpool, the Telegraph reports.
I agree with the Trust that a patient's 'gender' is completely and totally irrelevant to their potential to be pregnant. Instead, a little wrist band that identifies the sex of the patient can be used.

It is understood to be one of a handful of trusts to have expanded the questioning to male patients despite it not being a national policy at NHS England.

The policy is instead down to individual trusts to decide.

A spokesman for the Walton trust told the Telegraph that its policy "adheres to national legislation, as certain amounts of radiation can be harmful to foetuses in utero".

Campaigners have warned it is the beginning of a "clinically dangerous" move to only record gender, and not sex, on medical records.
Institutional capture.

Kat Barber, of campaign group Sex Not Gender Nurses and Midwives, said: “This is an example of why we need both sex and gender clearly recorded for patients.

"We do not need to ask all patients if they are pregnant. We need to ask females, hence why it is important to know if the person we are providing care for is female whilst also respecting their gender identity," she told the Telegraph.
Barber is correct.

Campaigners added that those born male cannot get pregnant.
Can you imagine a ten year old from 1980 being shown this future in a vision? He'd think it false and ludicrous that society needs reminding that males cannot get pregnant.

The Society of Radiographers, which published inclusive pregnancy guidance in November last year, said it is important to ask all patients for any possibility of pregnancy.

They have advised medics to ask what sex patients were assigned at birth and then question them on their pregnancy status if they were born female.

They say that the aim is “to move away from the long-standing practice of only enquiring about pregnancy with those that present as female”.
The Society seems very confused. If you know a patient's sex (observed and recorded, not 'assigned'), then you only need to ask female patients of the pregnancy possibility, not people who 'present' female.

Not every tech has, or ought have, access to a patient's medical file.

I know a couple of men who need to be asked.

It's not even a matter of polity that they may need to be asked, but rather the fact that it just is not apparent from looking at them in a hospital gown.

I also know some folks who, from the appearance alone, may initially be grouped in with the others.

So, now techs get to ask if someone is pregnant and some folks throw screeching tantrums over that, over someone needing to ask a question to resolve whether people are or may be ome pregnant.

A better approach would be to just add to the form statements, "please inform if you are pregnant [or may become pregnant]*, as this may [whatever]" and that's the end of it.

I maintain people should complain less about what is in all reality merely it being hard to tell now and that being OK.

Just because society changes to the point where you have a hard time adjusting doesn't mean society has a duty to stop changing. More, you have a duty to to work harder on adjusting.

*Contextually added

A better approach would be to just add to the form statements, "please inform if you are pregnant [or may become pregnant]*, as this may [whatever]" and that's the end of it.

Honestly, I don't see how an all purpose check list of questions prior to certain medical procedures is worth discussing.

Tom

Honestly, I don't see how an all purpose check list of questions prior to certain medical procedures is worth discussing.

Tom
Abstracting from the issue of whether the report is accurate, clearly the lack of all relevant information on a chart is causing an unnecessary question to be asked of some clients. Not only is this a massive waste of time, but it is simply another symptom of the strange and slow death of Great Britain. And, of course, madness.

You'd have a better chance of understanding all of this if you didn't have too many other more important things on your mind.

Wow... I need to sit down. This is perhaps the biggest news I've read about in my life. I mean, I keep getting asked about drug usage, alcohol usage, and what not at my physical and I don't do any of that stuff. If they asked this additional question when I needed health care service, I'd just lose it... and post a thread about it.

When my wife and i were both stationed at Dam Neck, Virginia, we were at different commands, but had the same personnel office. I am pretty sure the one of the rating exams, her points included my dolphins.
And at least once i suggested they might have made a mistake putting her record in my file. "How do you know it's not yours?" the PN scoffed.
"I was never pregnant," i said, pointing to the particular line.

Frankly, i find it hard to be upset if an bureaacracy solved one single instance of confusion by just making a blanket policy to ask everyone the same questions. "Are you pregannt, do you suffer erectile dysfunction, when was your last period, are you circumsized?" Over and done with, maximum equality, no greater significance than the usual 'swatting flies with cannonballs' approach of many institutions.

By "going down the same rabbit hole, again and again" I wasn't referring to the OP specifically.
Tom

Wow... I need to sit down. This is perhaps the biggest news I've read about in my life. I mean, I keep getting asked about drug usage, alcohol usage, and what not at my physical and I don't do any of that stuff.
True. They must ask the same question of lesbians!
"Are you pregnant?"
"No."
"Are you sure?"
"Pretty sure."
"When was your last period?"
"I don't know." (as one lesbian said, I'm not using it, why should i track it?)
"Are you sexually active?"
"Yes."
"Do you use birth control?"
"Not really. Not like you're thinking."
"Then you MIGHT be pregnant.."
"No, I'm gonna stick with 'No.' Pretty sure i'm not preggars."

....The horror!

This is similar to the observation that the purpose of communist propaganda is to humiliate; where people are required to recite the most blatant absurdities.

Wow... I need to sit down. This is perhaps the biggest news I've read about in my life. I mean, I keep getting asked about drug usage, alcohol usage, and what not at my physical and I don't do any of that stuff.
"Are you pregnant?"
"No."
"Are you sure?"
"Pretty sure."
"Yes."

....The horror!
I'm always asked if there is a chance I might be pregnant.

I'm in my 60's.

I'm always asked if there is a chance I might be pregnant.

I'm in my 60's.
Really? You don't type a day over thirty!
Heh, up until a few years ago, I DID look anywhere between 5-10 years younger than my age. I once showed coworkers a photo of my husband and me, a few months before we were married. They asked how old I was and if that was my dad with me. My husband is 5 months older than I am. I was just shy of 22. My husband and I do not look related. My dad and I, on the other hand, well, there was never a second's doubt about who's kid I was.

The kicker is: I had my tubes tied after my youngest was born. Then, I had a hysterectomy some years later due to cancer. All of this is in my chart. And I've been using the same medical providers for years.

I also worked in health care long enough to understand the value in having a comprehensive set of patient questions. Even though I've never had a moment's trouble with my prostate. BTW, my husband had a mammogram about a decade before I did. His was all clear, thank heavens. Just an idiopathic cyst that was then removed.

Not every tech has, or ought have, access to a patient's medical file.
I never suggested it. But every time I have been to hospital or visited someone who is, they have an ID bracelet that identifies their name, sex, and date of birth.

I know a couple of men who need to be asked.
All females should be asked. That's why the previous policy worked.

The "men" you know that need to be asked are female. That's why they need to be asked.

It's not even a matter of polity that they may need to be asked, but rather the fact that it just is not apparent from looking at them in a hospital gown.

I also know some folks who, from the appearance alone, may initially be grouped in with the others.
Yes. That's why the previous policy of asking females worked, and this policy is ludicrous.

So, now techs get to ask if someone is pregnant
They already 'got' to ask.

and some folks throw screeching tantrums over that,
You don't know what a tantrum is.

Tom
Abstracting from the issue of whether the report is accurate, clearly the lack of all relevant information on a chart is causing an unnecessary question to be asked of some clients. Not only is this a massive waste of time, but it is simply another symptom of the strange and slow death of Great Britain. And, of course, madness.

You'd have a better chance of understanding all of this if you didn't have too many other more important things on your mind.
Ah yes. Only the things laughing dog care about are important enough to discuss.

Wow... I need to sit down. This is perhaps the biggest news I've read about in my life. I mean, I keep getting asked about drug usage, alcohol usage, and what not at my physical and I don't do any of that stuff. If they asked this additional question when I needed health care service, I'd just lose it... and post a thread about it.
Ah yes. Only the news Jimmy Higgins cares about is important enough to post about.

"Are you pregnant?"
"No."
"Are you sure?"
"Pretty sure."
"Yes."

....The horror!
All females* should be asked if they are pregnant or might be pregnant.

Females can get pregnant, including lesbians. In fact, lots of lesbians have their own biological children.

*In agreement with the trust, females who are or look under 60.

Back
Top Bottom